Author Topic: Glock Advice  (Read 13743 times)

Ex USCG

Glock Advice
« on: July 13, 2011, 03:43:42 AM »
Since you guys are very pro-Glock, here is what I am faced with and need some advice.  My current handgun arsenal mainly consists of Sigs and H&K's for semi-autos and Taurus revolvers.  I have never owned a Glock but hear nothing but good things about them.  I am 6 foot tall and 150lbs and I am looking for a subcompact for CC that won't print too much, if at all.  I am considering the 26 or 27 baby Glocks, but wanted some advice.  Since I am used to .40, as that what my Sig 229 is chambered for, should I go with the G27 and stay with a .40 or drop down to a G26 and back down to 9MM?  Since the Glocks are 10ozs lighter than my Sig, will the G27 kick substantially more than my Sig229 because it is a lighter gun? If so, would the G26 be a better choice for faster target re-aquisition? I know smaller guns than the Glock 26 and 27 can be had, but I have heard and read too many horror stories about Kahrs,  Kel-Techs and others and that fact that too many people report FTF's with them.  I am not afraid of price, but I know I need multiple carry guns so I can be prepared for any clothing choice. I am sure I can carry my Sig in the cooler months and winter, but I need something a little smaller for summer that is still built to the high quality standards I am used to with the Sig and HK's.

Any advice?  I am remaining open minded on this issue, so any advice would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance for your help.

Condition 1

• Life Member
Re: Glock Advice
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 04:16:02 AM »
I have a 26 and have only great things to say about the gun. I have never shot the 27 but I've seen numerous people on other forums selling to go with the 26. I find myself carrying the 26 more than any other gun during the summer.

colt0208

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 10:46:02 AM »
I carry a glock 26 and love it. I tried the supertuck and couldn't stand it.... I have it riding in a Mtac now and love it. Although, I must admit, I recently picked up a Ruger LC9 and have been carrying that a lot this summer. I can throw that in a Desantis pocket holster in my cargo shorts and be good to go.

You can't go wrong with a Glock in my opinion. If you are comfortable with the .40, get a G27. They are great guns, I actually shoot my 26 better than some of my full-size 9's. Anyhow, good luck with whatever you end up with an be safe.....

muleman88

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 12:28:53 PM »
I have a g 30 and like it. Im 6 ft 1 and a thin 260 lol. But the kick seems minimal to me.

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 03:48:27 PM »
I'm a pessimist, so I carry a G29 with full-power 10mm.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 01:34:53 AM »
Old Gray, why not carry a 45? More capacity in the 10mm, or hotter loads?
Lumspond
New Castle County

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 02:22:53 AM »
Old Gray, why not carry a 45? More capacity in the 10mm, or hotter loads?
Lumspond
Both. The 10mm models hold more ammo in the same size frame, and they have a lot more muzzle energy.

TwistedKarma

• Administrator
  • Life Member
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2011, 09:35:28 AM »
some of us are pro glock, not all....   nothing wrong with em.  just havent joined the cult yet...  ::)
Just trying to survive in the second Great Deprssion.

Ex USCG

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2011, 01:26:11 PM »
Thanks guys.  Lots of good information to think about.  I appreciate all the help.

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2011, 10:53:44 PM »
If you are looking for a Glock Lawmans in dover offers a Police, Fire & Military discount $399. for most Glocks Gen 3 and Gen 4. All guns are LEO so they come with 3 magazines.
" An armed society is a polite society"
I not sick, I'm twisted. Sick makes it sound like there's a cure.

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2011, 11:59:45 PM »
some of us are pro glock, not all....   nothing wrong with em.  just havent joined the cult yet...  ::)
I didn't really want a Glock, but I wanted to shoot 10mm Auto. I did quite a bit of research, and almost bought a Kimber Stainless, but I ended up with a Glock 20.
They're addictive.

A properly-maintained Glock is almost like a revolver: you are 99.999999% certain to successfully fire every single round in all of your magazines without any failures.

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2011, 10:19:39 PM »
A properly-maintained Glock is almost like a revolver: you are 99.999999% certain to successfully fire every single round in all of your magazines without any failures.
Hate to be that .000000001%
" An armed society is a polite society"
I not sick, I'm twisted. Sick makes it sound like there's a cure.

Pete D.---

• NRA Member
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2011, 01:10:52 AM »
I carry the 26 in a supertuck- I love them both! The 26 has a 10 round mag, and I carry another from my 19 which holds 15. I would highly recommend both the gun and the holster to anyone. There is something to be said for a pocket gun in summer though. I have a pair of shorts that has a really deep pocket that hides the 26 amazingly well- all others print too much. My 911 BDU's hide it in the pocket well too. The supertuck with untucked shirt seems undetectable to me. Good luck Ex USCG and thanks for your service! That $399 deal is a great price! You deserve it. Pete D.---
"This food fights back!" Myke Hawke Peirce

Ex USCG

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2011, 08:01:25 PM »
If you are looking for a Glock Lawmans in dover offers a Police, Fire & Military discount $399. for most Glocks Gen 3 and Gen 4. All guns are LEO so they come with 3 magazines.

Thanks Sig.  That is good info. about Lawmans that I did not know.  I will certainly check them out.  Since I am and have been a Sig and H&K fan for many years (and have experienced extremely awesome reliability from both of them), I am putting faith in all the advice I have received here about the Glock lineup.  Still not certain of exactly which Glock I plan to go with, but I will be adding a Glock to arsenal in the very near future.  Thanks again for all the help.

Ex USCG

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2011, 08:30:16 PM »
I carry the 26 in a supertuck- I love them both! The 26 has a 10 round mag, and I carry another from my 19 which holds 15. I would highly recommend both the gun and the holster to anyone. There is something to be said for a pocket gun in summer though. I have a pair of shorts that has a really deep pocket that hides the 26 amazingly well- all others print too much. My 911 BDU's hide it in the pocket well too. The supertuck with untucked shirt seems undetectable to me. Good luck Ex USCG and thanks for your service! That $399 deal is a great price! You deserve it. Pete D.---

Thanks Pete.  I enjoyed every minute of my service time with the USCG.  There is a lot of satisfaction and pride that comes from such an odd and often unappreciated job. The stories don't always end the way you want them to, so you just have to appreciate the job and the good days you do have.  I wouldn't trade the time I spent in for anything.  Making it even better was the fact that I was lucky enough to work with and be trained by some of the best small arms instructors in the business.  Had it not been for them, I probably wouldn't enjoy shooting as much as I do.