Author Topic: What to carry?  (Read 18385 times)

mominde

What to carry?
« on: April 23, 2012, 01:30:05 AM »
I have a .22LR pistol.  I keep getting the "a .22 won't stop anyone" lecture.  As I am still waiting for my permit, I have time to try new guns before I get used to carrying this one.  Should I look for something else?  Is the .22 ok for cc?  I am the "tiny girl with a gun" type person and don't think I could pull off anything big or heavy.  Ideas?

Willie848

Re: What to carry?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 04:03:53 AM »
I have a .22LR pistol.  I keep getting the "a .22 won't stop anyone" lecture.  As I am still waiting for my permit, I have time to try new guns before I get used to carrying this one.  Should I look for something else?  Is the .22 ok for cc?  I am the "tiny girl with a gun" type person and don't think I could pull off anything big or heavy.  Ideas?

Sure you can do it you have someone that has firearms who can steer you in the direction of a handgun you can handle. The 22 does not have a lot of stopping power take some shooting classes or go to the range with a friend who shoots. What county are you in and are there any shooting ranges close. You should look at or try the S & W 9mm compact or 380 Bersa which is a baby 9mm a REAL NICE firearm rent one at your local range. Try one or both to see what fits for you. Let me know how you make out.

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 12:23:13 PM »
... I keep getting the "a .22 won't stop anyone" lecture.  ...

First, on the quote above, ask them for the "proof" or if they would be willing to be a test subject.  Bet, you get NO volunteers! ;D
Personally, I dont want to be shot with ANYTHING from a BB gun up....  .02  Will it be a mag dump and reload, most likely.

Carry whatever you feel you can control and safely (and accurately) shoot.  You could have something with more stopping power but not like to shoot it because when you shot it once, it almost ripped your arm off.  So now it's a safe queen.

If in a fire fight, yes I'd want something bigger than a .22.  If I'm being an genius trying to car jack you with a knife, your .22 will change my intentions real quick.

ANYTHING be better than NOTHING!

[flame suit on]Waiting for comments[/flame suit]
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

BobW

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 01:41:44 PM »
I have to agree with Radnor. Something is better than nothing. But the MOST IMPORTANT thing is where the bullets go. A missed shot with a big gun does no good. A precise shot with a little gun will always be better. Your choice should be one that you are comfortable with and that you can shoot.

(Any extra flame suits?)

Schmenge

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 05:32:03 PM »
In between the 22 and 380 there's a nice little 32 auto made by Beretta (model 3032 Tomcat). Small, a little more punch that a 22, less than a 380. Nice weapon, easy to handle and conceal. I carry one on my ankle for a backup.
Schmenge
NRA Patron Member

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 08:40:13 PM »
OK, I will be the first to say it. Mouse guns are called mouse guns for a reason. Yes, they are better then nothing but barely.  No, I do not want to get shot with a .22 or anything else.  What matters is shot placement and penetration. One without the other is insufficient.  There are plenty of documented cases where just showing a .22 will stop an attack but there are also plenty where the BG is shot with a .22 and he doesn't even know it. With the advancement of weapon technology what it is there are plenty of smaller 9mm handguns out there that a "tiny girl with a gun" can handle. 

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 08:53:23 PM »
You'd be surprised what you can handle. My wife shoots full-power 10mm like a champ, and carries .357 Magnum.

We would all hope that you had enough firepower for whatever you might encounter.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

Condition 1

• Life Member
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 04:13:09 AM »
A .22 is better than nothing. That being said, I wouldn't carry a .22 just because there are much better options. A well placed shot is good from any gun, but a poorly placed shot (under adrenaline) will cause more damage from a good self defense round. Unless you are defending yourself against squirrels I would get a 9mm on a semi-compact platform.

Really, a 9mm is not bad at all to handle and it is a great self-defense round.

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 03:00:10 PM »
It's bad for someone else to tell you what you should carry. Best thing to do is to go to a gun store, with a firing range and try some out. They will let you shoot several if they want you to buy there. If you are going to Conceal Carry, make sure the gun is not too big or too heavy for you. Also try it in a holster that is recommended for concealed carry. You need to make sure it's comfortable, because you will be living with it everyday, if you're like most of us. If you are a newbie, I suggest you carry the gun in your C/C holster around the house while you wait for your permit, so that when you go out carrying you won't be concious or uncomfortable with it. People look at you funny if you are always tugging and adjusting on the gun that they are not suppose to know you have on you. Ya know?
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

mominde

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2012, 12:38:38 AM »
Thank you all!  Sounds like a trip to Shooter's Choice is in order.  I have had my gun for about a year and am comfortable with it at a range.  Nothing will compare to the real thing, but it the target is a black circle within 50 feet and not moving then I'm fine!  I'll take in these suggestions and see which gun fits me best.   :)

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2012, 12:51:32 AM »
It's bad for someone else to tell you what you should carry.

It is not bad to make recommendations when they ask.

Should I look for something else?  Is the .22 ok for cc?  I am the "tiny girl with a gun" type person and don't think I could pull off anything big or heavy.  Ideas?

The mouse gun controversy is surely not going to be resolved here. Suffice it to say that I do not believe that the small caliber handguns are adequate for personal protection.

Take a look at the attached PDF.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 10:50:55 AM by Hawkeye »

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2012, 12:56:29 AM »
Regardless of caliber, the goal is to become so comfortable with the operation of your chosen carry gun that you can work it automatically, by muscle memory, in the dark (or injured, half asleep, cold, wet, etc.). You accomplish this by repetition: fire thousands of rounds through your weapon(s).
This is why those who like Glocks (as I do) tend to stick with them: I know I can fire, reload, clear, and otherwise handle any Glock competently under any conditions. I know it will work, and I know I can work it.

Comfort means a lot. We all pray for two things: that we never need our weapons, and that we handle them perfectly if we ever do.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2012, 08:59:08 PM »
I think I have ready may Arm Citizen encounters where the person used a .22 to defend herself successfully. Most important what you can control and shoot comfortably.
" An armed society is a polite society"
I not sick, I'm twisted. Sick makes it sound like there's a cure.

Capnball

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2012, 02:09:37 AM »
Ok, I'll throw in my 2 cents, for what they're worth....
I have to agree that a .22 cal is probably not a great solution for personal protection. I've shot squirrels with a .22 rifle where it took 15 seconds or so before the creature realized that it is was all over, so I'm not so sure a 2 legged-miscreant would react much better.

The 3 things that I think are paramount in a concealed carry firearm are: 1. concealed and comfortable. 2. a firearm, be it a semi-auto or revolver that is reliable, and 3. just enough gun to do the job. My personal preference is for revolvers simply because they are most familiar to me. I'm left a handed shooter, and more than one semi auto has thrown hot brass back in my face, chest or arms. I have nothing against the Glock fans; I think the Glock is a wonderful machine, I'm just not personally comfortable with one.
We are lucky today, as we do have a lot of good choices in concealable revolvers and small framed semi-autos in calibers that are up to the task. I look to history to see what works. Most LEOs carried .38 special and/or .357 mag revolvers up until the 80s. Then they moved to the 9mm in an auto, these calibers get the job done in a reasonable size and weight. Today these examples can be had from Taurus, S&W and others for reasonable prices in sizes that nearly anyone, even a small framed lady can easily carry. Ruger has the LC9 semi auto in 9mm which is also  suitable and comfortable to shoot. Beyond all of this caliber stuff is the shooter - practice, practice, practice until every move is automatic and you feel totally comfortable with the firearm and yourself. Buy enough gun, but make sure it works for you and you work at learning it.

John

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2012, 02:33:17 AM »
G19.   Enough said!