Author Topic: What to carry?  (Read 18386 times)

Willie848

Re: What to carry?
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2012, 11:56:03 PM »
I have a .22LR pistol.  I keep getting the "a .22 won't stop anyone" lecture.  As I am still waiting for my permit, I have time to try new guns before I get used to carrying this one.  Should I look for something else?  Is the .22 ok for cc?  I am the "tiny girl with a gun" type person and don't think I could pull off anything big or heavy.  Ideas?

Selecting a Caliber
Caliber selection in pistols is a hot source of debate amongst tactics-minded handgun users. While the general stopping power of a pistol is measurably low compared to almost any long gun, you want to make an informed choice to give you the best advantage.
Smaller calibers, such as .380, 9mm, etc, generally result in a higher bullet velocity, reduced recoil which allows for fast follow-up shots, higher capacity magazines (or smaller framed guns), and higher velocity bullets.
Large calibers, such as the venerable .45 feature slower bullets that have increased overall diameter, allowing for a wider initial wound channel (which gives you a slightly increased chance of hitting something vital). The heavier bullets and generally high muzzle energies increase recoil, resulting in slower follow-up shots and the larger diameter of the cartridges means lower capacity magazines.
The most crucial factor in determining what caliber you will choose is how accurate and comfortable you are with any particular caliber. Most U.S. self-defense experts consider .380 ACP (9 x 17 mm Browning Short) or 9mm as the minimum for adequate defense, while European Police believe that .32 ACP (7.65 x 17 mm Browning) as adequate. Making an informed decision about what caliber you will use requires experience. Shoot many different calibers and choose the biggest caliber that you can comfortably shoot and make fast, accurate followup shots with.
Don't completely disregard a .22 if your objective is home defense. A semi-automatic .22 pistol or Ruger 10/22 carbine with a high-capacity magazine is easy to control when shooting fast and can be very effective at close range (most home-defense shots occur at less than 7 yards), and .22 ammunition is very cheap. Furthermore, a .22 won't penetrate walls, thus reducing property damage and risk to your neighbors if you miss.
When making your decision, also keep in mind the cost of ammunition! You'll want to be able to easily afford enough ammunition to keep up a regular practice routine.

Obleo

• Life Member
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2012, 12:08:35 PM »
However important the firearm caliber may be the actual function of the handgun is way more important.  I recall attempting a mock handgun shoot with a new automatic and, not remembering that the decock was on, ended up racking 30 percent of my ammo before getting off one shot.  A simple revolver would have been best for me in that situation.
Proud resident of Kent County DE

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2012, 12:33:09 AM »
I have to say that if you're "big" enough to carry concealed, then the "tiny girl with a gun" mentality has to go.  In my opinion (take that for what it's worth), you'd have a better chance of beating someone to death than killing them or doing major damage that would incapacitate them.  You need to carry something that has a little more stopping power that you're also comfortable with -- not only in grips, but in shooting also. 

Just my thoughts,

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

Willie848

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2012, 03:22:19 AM »
I have to say that if you're "big" enough to carry concealed, then the "tiny girl with a gun" mentality has to go.  In my opinion (take that for what it's worth), you'd have a better chance of beating someone to death than killing them or doing major damage that would incapacitate them.  You need to carry something that has a little more stopping power that you're also comfortable with -- not only in grips, but in shooting also. 

Just my thoughts,

Moosie

Great Point, I should have said that.   

mominde

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2012, 01:15:55 AM »
I appreciate all the input!  I am waiting for a day without kids/work to go try out a few options.  While I hope to never need to, I want to be prepared just in case.  I know it's pointless to carry a gun if I can't get off more than one shot.  So lots to figure out.  :)

Harleyrider

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2012, 08:23:42 PM »
Regardless of caliber, the goal is to become so comfortable with the operation of your chosen carry gun that you can work it automatically, by muscle memory, in the dark (or injured, half asleep, cold, wet, etc.). You accomplish this by repetition: fire thousands of rounds through your weapon(s)... Comfort means a lot. We all pray for two things: that we never need our weapons, and that we handle them perfectly if we ever do.
What oldgraygeek said.  You should go to a range where you can rent or borrow guns.  Try some of the light .380's like Kel-Tec P3-AT and Ruger LCP (I own both).  Also try some of the small, lightweight J-frame .38 spl revolvers, like S&W's, especially the Airweights.

Each one handles and feels, and especially kicks, very differently, and you need to be comfortable with your choice.  If you end up liking nothing bigger than a .22, don't worry.  Lots of people get killed every year with a .22.  Shot placement is everything.  ;)
Vic
"I believe that every day on earth is another chance to get it right." Steve Earle

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2012, 10:45:44 AM »
" An armed society is a polite society"
I not sick, I'm twisted. Sick makes it sound like there's a cure.

extegral

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2012, 01:28:02 PM »
Ruger LCR.  Light, small, reliable.  And, unless you think you're going to be a full-blown firefight I think 5 rounds should be enough for almost any emergency.

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2012, 08:38:30 PM »
I personally feel people go towards the smaller calibers because of personal fear. These are people who don't do a lot of shooting or have never shot a gun and are afraid when the time comes they will not be able to handle the weapon of choice. Buying a gun is like buying a car. I know I would never buy a car with out test driving it first and the same goes for guns.
" An armed society is a polite society"
I not sick, I'm twisted. Sick makes it sound like there's a cure.

Obleo

• Life Member
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2012, 11:57:55 PM »
Ruger LCR.  Light, small, reliable.  And, unless you think you're going to be a full-blown firefight I think 5 rounds should be enough for almost any emergency.

With respect.  Of course we can't plan the magnitude of a bad situation because reality sticks its head in every time.  We wouldn't be interested in concealed carry if something in our lives didn't give us a very good reason.  I would hope for a company of weapons when the SHTF, all maximum power, all rapid fire.  Stopping the threat isn't everything, its the only thing. (kinda stolen line there).

I need to add this:  My personal introspection calls for 100% control of a threatening situation.  Less than 100% leaves significant doubt as to how to respond to any threat.  So I must conclude that whatever firearm I choose, I must commit to training and focus.  I will spare no expense to become 100% sure before I make an irreversible decision that could send someone to the undertaker and me to the big house.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 12:11:51 AM by Obleo »
Proud resident of Kent County DE

formerly known as frank

• Life Member
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2012, 02:22:33 PM »
Today's criminals are often in small groups, not just a single bad guy. Five shots is not enough.

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2012, 10:48:10 PM »
Today's criminals are often in small groups, not just a single bad guy. Five shots is not enough.
I personally hope and pray that zero shots will be enough.
However, I carry a Glock 29 and a spare mag, with 21 rounds of full-power 10mm.
In a week or so, I'll finish my center console mods, and I'll keep my Glock 20 and two 15-round spares in there, adding up to 46 more rounds... and the larger mags fit into the G29.

What can I say: I'm a pessimist.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

formerly known as frank

• Life Member
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2012, 01:37:36 PM »
Old Gray, expect the worst, but hope for the best.

CorBon

• Life Member
  • The Revolution starts in your heart...
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2012, 05:26:31 PM »
After reading the paper, and watching the news, I'm starting to think that leaving the house with anything less than a .308 and a half-dozen 20-rounders may be foolish.

That's for gettin' 'em before they get outta the car, or when they're hidin' behind a wall!
Very few guns are actually "illegal guns."  A gun misappropriated by a criminal is no more of an "illegal gun" than a stolen car is an "illegal car."

Condition 1

• Life Member
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2012, 12:57:49 AM »
Regardless of what one carries, practice. Five shots well placed on five BGs will do better than 28 shots missed + two poorly placed shots - practice, practice, practice, then practice some more....