Author Topic: What Do You Carry Concealed...and Why?  (Read 34916 times)

F16WarBird

• NRA Life Member
Re: What Do You Carry Concealed...and Why?
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2011, 12:13:22 AM »
I'm planning on carrying a Walther PPS (.40)

The magazine capacity is rather limited (5, 6, or 7 round options), but it's compact and has the stopping power I'm looking for.

I'm currently carrying a Beretta M-9 (I'm deployed) in a drop down thigh holster.  It's comfortable, but obviously not the ideal configuration to wear in a civilian environment.   ;)

"They're saying goodbye in their own way. Playing outlawed tunes on outlawed pipes."

triangle172

« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2011, 12:23:08 PM »
Taurus Model 85 UltraLight w/ 5 rounds of Hydra-Shok .38+P.
If that doesn't get the job done I'm in deeper sh#* then I ever bargained for anyway.

fdegree

« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2011, 09:11:29 PM »
I really like that gun, and seriously considered it when I was out "trying on" guns for concealed carry.  It was very comfortable and fit well in my hand.  The only reason I decided against it was I had trouble with the mag release.  I guess my thumb is too short to reach far enough forward to push down on the lever reliably enough for my comfort.  If it wasn't for that, I would have that gun now.

The magazine capacity is rather limited (5, 6, or 7 round options), but it's compact and has the stopping power I'm looking for.

I'm currently carrying a Beretta M-9 (I'm deployed) in a drop down thigh holster.  It's comfortable, but obviously not the ideal configuration to wear in a civilian environment.   ;)
Violence, when there is an alternative, is immoral.
Violence, when there is no alternative, is survival.
-Unknown-

A battle avoided cannot be lost.
-Sun Tzu-

Condition 1

• Life Member
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2011, 09:51:09 PM »
I too considered this gun, in 9mm, scratched off after reading numerous failure issues - failure to extract, feed, lock the slide back on last round...

I really like that gun, and seriously considered it when I was out "trying on" guns for concealed carry.  It was very comfortable and fit well in my hand.  The only reason I decided against it was I had trouble with the mag release.  I guess my thumb is too short to reach far enough forward to push down on the lever reliably enough for my comfort.  If it wasn't for that, I would have that gun now.

I'm currently carrying a Beretta M-9 (I'm deployed) in a drop down thigh holster.  It's comfortable, but obviously not the ideal configuration to wear in a civilian environment.   ;)

F16WarBird

• NRA Life Member
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2011, 10:14:58 PM »
From what I've discovered in my research before I purchased it, those issues were with the 1st gen 9mm.  97% of the reviews I've read (by regular owners) love it and have had no issues.

One thing I have read, many times, is that the weapon should be cleaned and then dry fired approximately 200 times to smooth things out.

I just introduced the seller to x-ring supply for my FFL transfer. 

146 days till I leave Afghanistan.  148 days until I can pick up my PPS.   8) 

"They're saying goodbye in their own way. Playing outlawed tunes on outlawed pipes."

Johnnyboy

« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2011, 08:58:19 PM »
I carry a Glock 22 in a Crossbreed Super Tuck.
I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop.

czer

« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2011, 12:34:55 AM »
Just got a snubbie, Smith and Wesson 442, .38+. In a Don Hume, slide-type OWB holster it carries as well as my smaller and lighter Kel Tec 3PAT in an IWB type. The S and W has a long but smooth trigger and the kick is not as bad as I remember from my Taurus 85, I had some years ago. In the jacket pocket, it carries better loose, than my Kel Tec in a pocket holster. I cannot carry the KT loose in my pocket for two reasons. It tends to twist around so that I never know which end I am touching ("Is that the square end of the muzzle or the end of the grip?"). Plus, I can get a better grip on the SW, than the KT. I would be real embarrasing if I jerked out the Kel Tec and threw it at an attacker underhanded. That being said, the KT is smaller, so I still use it for summer-time carry, when concealment is paramount.

tz9x21

« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2011, 01:48:51 PM »
Springfield XDM 3.8 in .40S&W. 180 gr Hornaday TAP ammo in a Comp/Tac Minotar appendix holster.
As far as why....
Whenever newbies ask me what to purchase for personal defense, I usually recommend a Glock. If that's all you've ever used, you know how it feels and shoots and you get a comfortable grip. And they work and go bang everytime you pull the trigger and are easy to learn to shoot.
For myself however, Glocks don't work. Why? 'Cause I've shot 1911's for over 20 years and the grip angle on a Glock just isn't right for me. If I do the "close your eyes, bring up the gun and open your eyes...." routine, the front sight is pointing somewhere into a 3rd story window. The grip angle is sharper than a 1911. The selling point to the Springfield it was designed with the same grip angle as a 1911 and it just points better for me.
"... so my wife says, don't you have enough guns?" to which I reply, "My dear, there is no such thing as enough guns."

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2011, 10:18:50 PM »

I'm currently carrying a Beretta M-9 (I'm deployed) in a drop down thigh holster.  It's comfortable, but obviously not the ideal configuration to wear in a civilian environment.   ;)

I have the Walther PPS 9mm and its a great gun and I've had no issues with it. Currently have over 600 rounds of Sellier & Bellot FMJs and another 100 Speer Gold Dot JHP 124gr +P (the short barrel version btw) through it. Walther in general is known for high quality and very tight tolerances in their guns and the PPS is no exception. This is the reason some tell you to dry fire it 200 times. I simply cleaned the gun, grabbed 300 rounds and hit the range. The PPS is already smooth it loosens up a touch after a few hundred rounds.. mainly the trigger. I fully clean it after every range use with a bore-snake, 4 or 5 q-tips, Hoppe's #9 Solvent and a microfiber cloth. I don't use oil on any of my firearms, instead I use a product called Fluid Film on all metal surfaces and on the rails. Its a very easy and quick handgun to clean. Note: Don't bother removing teh backstrap once you decide which one you like as its not needed to break it down for cleaning.. regardless of what the manual says.

Mine came with a 7rd and 8rd mag and I currently have 1 6rd, 2 7rd and 2 8rd mags.. the 8rd being the most comfortable in my hand and its still concealable. The 6rd is also nice with the pinky tucked underneath. I personally found the bottom of the 7rd mags to dig into my pinky and quite uncomfortable however the wife favors the 7rd mag and dislikes both the 6 and 8. :) The 9mm has 6,7,8 round mags and the 40 has 5,6,7 round mags. I've fired both and preferred the 9mm for faster follow up shots. I've been reading of more and more people selling their 40s and buying the 9mm for this same reason.. plus the extra round.

All the 9mm issues were resolved quite sometime ago. From what I've read over on the waltherforums com the 40s still have a few issues popping up but those are rare now. Overall the 9mm seems to have less issues.

fdegree.. try the gun again but don't use your thumb for the mag release. Instead slide your index finger up safely off the trigger and your middle finger up to the release. While the middle finger then presses down your opposite hand can be ready to insert a new mag and continue firing. It *is* a practice thing but I've shown a few people this way and they seem to like it. I agree that its not a thumb release! :)

We'll be buying a matching 9mm next year for the wife as well.

tacoin4low

« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2013, 04:04:47 AM »
I carry a sig sauer 238. It's small, It feels good in my hand and most importantly, I can shoot it well.

Newlife503

• Life Member
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2013, 12:49:47 PM »
Glock 19 in a Minotaur Mtac holster or a Ruger SR9c in a Crossbreed supertuck.  Because I like the feel of these two guns the best and they are very accurate.  The holsters are the most comfortable to me with that particular gun.
NRA Life Member
DSSA Member
DE,PA,FL,UT CC Permits
New Castle County

del elec

• Life Member
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2013, 01:37:42 PM »
Right now a Glock 26 in a N82 IWB holster. Will switch to a Glock 19 when it arrives.
[]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]
------)_'_\ * (
"----------\ * \
"-----------\_*_\
Life NRA
Shooters Choice
Bridgeville Rifle & Pistol Club
DE CCDW
PA LTCF
MD Wear & Carry

robberbaron

« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2013, 02:34:24 PM »
Glock 23 in DeSantis mini scabbard while waiting for Glock 26 (also mini scabbard) that I ordered from GlockStore more than 6 months ago. Lesson learned...will never deal with them again.

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2013, 05:20:27 PM »
Wow, we sure are bringing back an older thread with this one.

Millennium Pro PT111 (9mm) in a Crossbreed Supertuck most days. When I can dress around it I sometimes carry a Glock 21sf (.45) in a Fobus paddle holster.

Since I made this post I have upgraded to a Ruger SR40c (fits in all my Taurus Millennium holsters) and my Glock now rides in a Safariland ALS.

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County

Capnball

« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2013, 07:11:07 PM »
Wow, lots of great carry ideas here. I think we all keep the holster makers in business without a doubt, as it seems that each of us has at least 2 holster/carry options depending on firearm and dress.

Ok, so I'll just add mine here too. I carry a .38 +P J-Frame in warmer weather usually in a DeSantis high-ride nylon/kydex OWB. This one is the quick detach type with the snaps that comes off of the belt quickly. In the Winter I will carry the .357 2" Rhino in the leather pancake that came with the revolver (not a bad leather holster for something that came with the gun) If I go somewhere that I'm not able to leave my jacket on, I'll use a chest-band type holster (left hand cross-draw) either the J-Frame or the Rhino fit in it but I usually carry the J-Frame in it simply because it is lighter than the Rhino. About the only thing I've found that I don't like in terms of holsters is IWB, they just didn't work for me. The Rhino comes with half-moon clips that I've not figured out how to carry a spare 6 in a comfortable manner yet. For the J-Frame I have speed strips that just drop in a front pocket.