Author Topic: Does Tula Ammo have safety problems?  (Read 7122 times)

Obleo

• Life Member
Does Tula Ammo have safety problems?
« on: August 06, 2012, 02:55:17 PM »
I noticed Shooter's Choice has hung signs saying: No Tula Ammo to be used at this range.  Someone at the range told me it isn't safe ammo.  I have several boxes of this stuff. Has anyone else heard this?  I
Proud resident of Kent County DE

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
Re: Does Tula Ammo have safety problems?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 04:27:36 PM »
I know at Ommelanden range they don't want you shooting with steel in the bullet or steel case. When I tell them I am shooting 7.62x39, they first check it with a magnet. This may be the issue. Other than not being able to reload with steel case (is that correct?), I don't know the issue. Can someone who knows comment?
New Castle County

Hdrules

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 11:54:52 PM »
From what I was told by the fine folks at shooter. Was steel ammo tears up the back stop. But I'm no expert.

Kilroy08

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 05:07:00 PM »
If it's steel core or bi-metal jacket, then yes it will tear up range equipment. Most steel case ammo has one or the other, some just regular lead core copper jacket. To simplify it, most ranges just make a blanket policy of no steel case ammo.

Obleo

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 09:18:18 PM »
I checked the bullet with a magnet and it was obviously a bimetal jacket.  Maybe I should just keep these 115 gr. FMJs  around for serious penetration if the need arises.

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 09:54:27 PM »
For when SHTF :)
New Castle County

Condition 1

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2012, 12:40:11 AM »
I don't shoot steel case ammo, at all. The case is hard on the gun, especially on tight chambers and on extractors.

Wickedrex

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2012, 06:00:24 PM »
Like Condition 1 just posted, it is hard on equipment especially AR15s.  And a lot of the black guns don't like running it well.  Out of three ARs I have, two of them refuse to cooperate with this ammo.  FTE, one after another.  As for an AK or SKS, it is totally fine although I've had a lot of FTFs out of my AK with Tula.  I'm sure handgun stuff works well too for target plinking but I've never used it.  Ive heard accuracy is much to be desired with the russian steel case ammo though.  It is filthy as hell as we'll!!  Clean everything very well after using!  As for the range use, it is completely safe to use but like others have mention, almost all indoor ranges or ranges with a steel backstop will not allow it.  The bullets have steel cores and tear up backstops and cause one hell of a light show at the end of the range with sparks!  They are also more likely to ricochet if hit in a target hanger or hit in a hard flat surface.  Fine to use at an outdoor range such as Elk Neck that just have a Berm as a backstop

The way I look at all the steel case Russian ammo is if the gun is from that side of the planet, probably won't hurt to run it through it.  Hell, that's all that went through it most likely before it made it to this hemisphere.  But do yourself a favor and don't run it through your black guns.  Not unless you wanna save all of the money you save from buying the steel cased ammo and put it into replacement parts those steel cases tear up
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 07:48:18 PM by Wickedrex »
--Jay--

Obleo

• Life Member
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2012, 06:48:56 PM »
I'm now seeing posts on youtube and other places that call out the Tula primers for being hard metal.  Some say FTF is 30% in some cases.

My Ruger P95 just kisses the primer on my white box ammo so I don't even know if I can bust these caps.