State News & Gun News > NRA & National Gun News

Gun buyBack Loop Hole style

(1/1)

TwistedKarma:
http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2020223445_gunbuybackxml.html

Within hours of launching the first gun-buyback program in more than two decades, Seattle police took in so many guns they had to shut down the site Saturday and turn away scores of people after running out of gift cards to hand out.

People on foot and in vehicles were corralled into a parking lot underneath Interstate 5 between Cherry and James streets, where they traded unwanted weapons for gift cards of $100 for handguns, shotguns and rifles, and $200 for assault weapons.

“We prepared the best we could, having no idea on the great turnout,” said Seattle Police Chief John Diaz.

By 11 a.m. Seattle police had collected 160 weapons, including three 12-gauge repeater shotguns, also known as “Street Sweepers,” and an old rocket-launcher tube.

The total number of weapons collected was still to be tallied, and police said they won’t have a total number until Monday.

Not all of the guns brought to the buyback were handed over to police, however.

Officers stood by as makeshift gun shows sprang up on the sidewalks, just steps away from the buyback tents, as gun enthusiasts and collectors waved wads of cash for the guns being held by those standing in line.

“I’d prefer they wouldn’t sell them,” Diaz said of the people in line making deals with the gun buyers.

Some people saw the event as a way to make some money while others came in the spirit of a gun-buyback program, he said.

Albert Coburn, of Seattle, was standing in line with two rifles from his father, weapons that he had no use for. “Instead of selling them, I’d like to see them get out of circulation.”

Some in the long lines lost patience and gave in to the people who surrounded the parking lot with signs saying “Cash for guns.”

Just Bill:
That is one of the problems for us old gun collectors.  Many old guns are turned in and get destroyed because the people have no idea of the value.  Many old guns are just old, but I would bet that some are collectables worth considerably more that they receive.

Obleo:
Maybe some of us should get together and hold a gun buy-back.  I would pay $200 for an AR or RPG.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version