Author Topic: Advertising that you are CC'ing?  (Read 11334 times)

Moosie

• Life Member
Re: Advertising that you are CC'ing?
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2013, 04:30:41 AM »
:)  Hey.. it was worth a shot!  Sounds like fun. I can't shoot pool worth a darn unless I'm 2 sheets to the wind. 

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

Cbmarine

• Life Member
  • III Marine Amphib Corps. My dad’s shoulder patch
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2013, 05:23:52 PM »
:)  Hey.. it was worth a shot!  Sounds like fun. I can't shoot pool worth a darn unless I'm 2 sheets to the wind. 

Moosie

Only 2?  @Moosie, are you a sailor?  Apparently, "to the wind" is incorrect; see explanation below.

-------------
Our colleagues at CANOE, the Committee to Ascribe a Nautical Origin to Everything, have been hard at work and, to their great pleasure, they can add this phrase to their list. 'Three sheets to the wind' is indeed a seafaring expression.

To understand this phrase we need to enter the arcane world of nautical terminology. Sailors' language is, unsurprisingly, all at sea and many supposed derivations have to go by the board. Don't be taken aback to hear that sheets aren't sails, as landlubbers might expect, but ropes (or occasionally, chains). These are fixed to the lower corners of sails, to hold them in place. If three sheets are loose and blowing about in the wind then the sails will flap and the boat will lurch about like a drunken sailor.

The phrase is these days more often given as 'three sheets to the wind', rather than the original 'three sheets in the wind'. The earliest printed citation that I can find is in Pierce Egan's Real Life in London, 1821:

"Old Wax and Bristles is about three sheets in the wind."

Sailors at that time had a sliding scale of drunkenness; three sheets was the falling over stage; tipsy was just 'one sheet in the wind', or 'a sheet in the wind's eye'.

Just a smelly deplorable dreg of society clinging to God and guns.
New Castle County
_..  .  _._   _..  ..._ _  .  ._.

kathy1

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2013, 09:46:04 PM »
I think Moosie was trying to tell us that she can play pool at 'one sheet less to the wind,' she didn't have to get to three sheets.  hehehehe

demark04

• Delaware APA
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2013, 10:43:23 PM »
LMAO @ Moosie and Kathy1!!  Actually Moosie, you would not believe how much a hot item/player is that do not know how to shoot!!  No, I am not trying a sales pitch, but I would bet I could find you a team within 1 day!!!!  Most people say the same thing, except its 3 sheets. Lmao.
DE, PA, FL, CCDW
New Castle County

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2013, 11:54:17 PM »
LMAO!  I was a sailor... well... actually an Airmen then a Petty Officer...  but we'll leave that for another discussion.  LOL 

Demark.. I can shoot. I just can't be sober if you expect me to do any good!  I think that I loosen up with some umm. adult beverages, and then i don't over think it. What? ME???  Over think something????    WHAT???    :)    Yeah.. who'da thought!

And yes... if I get 3 sheets to the wind... well, I'm not shooting anything - except myself in the foot the next morning when I feel like crap!  :) 

;D  Glad I could provide some entertainment for you folks hehehee

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2013, 01:45:11 AM »
LMAO!  I was a sailor... well... actually an Airmen then a Petty Officer...  but we'll leave that for another discussion.  LOL 

Demark.. I can shoot. I just can't be sober if you expect me to do any good!  I think that I loosen up with some umm. adult beverages, and then i don't over think it. What? ME???  Over think something????    WHAT???    :)    Yeah.. who'da thought!

And yes... if I get 3 sheets to the wind... well, I'm not shooting anything - except myself in the foot the next morning when I feel like crap!  :) 

Moosie

SO that means you were in the air force and navy? Is that common for people to be in two branches?
"We are all entitled to our own opinions, but we are not entitled to our own facts"

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2013, 04:17:21 AM »
No Sir. 100% Navy. There are three classes of enlisted folk in the Navy.  Seaman, Airman, & Fireman. I fell into the Airman side of things focusing on weapons and all things that go boom surrounding aircraft.  And yes..  it is quite common these days for folks to change services after they've served their first enlistment.  Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Moosie

Newlife503

• Life Member
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2013, 10:16:26 AM »

Moosie

SO that means you were in the air force and navy? Is that common for people to be in two branches?

I have a friend who served 6 years in the Air Force and decided it wasn't challenging enough.  After his enlisted 6 years he left and signed on to the army special forces.  He's been there for 5 years now and loves it.
NRA Life Member
DSSA Member
DE,PA,FL,UT CC Permits
New Castle County

Knotacare

• NRA Endowment Member VFW Life Member
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2013, 11:37:03 AM »
Glad to see you picked a good branch Moosie I am a tailhooker & was an AX which is no more. Been in to 3 campaigns & 2 tours in V. When I was in women were strictly clerical or pilots (ferrying mostly). 

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2013, 01:01:32 PM »
Thanks for your service to our nation all.
"We are all entitled to our own opinions, but we are not entitled to our own facts"

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2013, 03:24:24 PM »
Ahhh, Knotacare. Anti-Sub Tech?  Yes, they absorbed several of ratings in early 90's. Did they morph it into another rate?  My father was a radio man in the Army and served several tours in V. He told his mother he worked in the post office to keep her from worrying lol.  The men in my squadron had not worked with a female yet until I came in. Can I tell you how frustrating that was? In some ways it was nice, then, politics came into the picture and everything had to be so very politically correct which made my decision to get out. 

Newlife, I'm not surprised at the cross over of your friend. But glad he's enjoying things now.  :) 

Thank you to all my fellow veterans for your service. 

Moosie

Knotacare

• NRA Endowment Member VFW Life Member
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2013, 04:24:01 PM »
Avaition Anti Submarine Tech & I got out in 1970 so it was still a great rating . When we were in Vietnam we patrolled N & S Vietnam looking for gun runners. We went up rivers too. We used to gun spot for troops on the ground too. I'm sure they were happy to have the Navy around with those big guns. I operated some pretty technical equipment back then it was all top secret & you had to promise not to mention anything for 10 yrs after getting out.

anjdrifter

« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2013, 07:00:19 PM »
guess we should get back to topic   BUT while we are diverting my son went into Navy(enlisted e-5) left for a few years went into CG started e-2 got out Lt Commander when he retired... I spent a few years from laying keel to firstyear or so of voyages as a a deck chief on Delawares tall ship..wa also airborne in service.
now I do evertything I can to keep everything well hidden and no logo shirts to boot..
Sussex county, NRA certified instructor -pistol-rifle- shotgun ,doj approved instructor

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2013, 03:41:47 AM »
 ;D You got out of the Navy before I was born.  hehehee   Sounds like good times!!  I think we've all had the "you were never here" or "this doesn't exist" moments. 

Anjdrifter, very cool!  Glad your son made out with some gold bars before he retired. Sounds like you got to have fun yourself! 

Now? Well.. I punch people for a living when I'm not overseas. 

As for getting back on track...   Anjdrifter, I respect that. 

Moosie