Author Topic: A handy app to have! (LegalHeat)  (Read 5754 times)

Destice84

A handy app to have! (LegalHeat)
« on: August 18, 2015, 11:19:20 AM »
I was doing a search through the Google Play store for concealed carry and came across an app called LegalHeat. From screenshots, I could see that it had both the concealed carry and open carry laws of all 50 states and Washington D.C. So I decided to buy it (only 99 cents) and give it a whirl. After downloading all the updated laws, I found it to be a handy little app. Also available for iPhone users through the App Store. Just passing the word along for fellow firearm carriers. Their website is: http://www.mylegalheat.com/
In 1791, when the 2nd Amendment was written, every gun was "Military Style".

Sussex County resident
Springfield XD(m)9 4.5"
Custom built AR-15
NRA Member
Filed application 5-8-15
Received CCDW 8-14-15 (99 day wait)

ChrisCar

Re: A handy app to have! (LegalHeat)
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 03:13:03 PM »
I also have that app and like it.  I should, however, warn you and everyone about a telephone conversation I just had with the A.G.'s office minutes ago (I'll be posting this in another related thread also). 

I was advised that the A.G.'s website is the official publication/source of states offering reciprocity.  So we use all the other apps and sites (e.g. LegalHeat, http://www.handgunlaw.us/, etc.) at our own risk. 

That said, for those holding a DE CCDW, it's probably more important to know what states recognize our permit (as opposed to what other states are recognized by DE).  With that in mind, our A.G.'s position is probably less important than those of the state(s) we'll be visiting.   

For example, according to the A.G.'s website (http://attorneygeneral.delaware.gov/criminal/concealedweapons.shtml), we don't have reciprocity with Virginia.  Yet if you check with Virginia's State Police, they do recognize our CCDW even though DE doesn't recognize theirs.  See http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_Reciprocity.shtm

So, in my opinion, all the books/apps/sites are nice and helpful, but if you're traveling across state lines you'd better check the official resources of all the states you'll be traveling through.  To make it even more inconvenience, note that in some states, the websites are not considered official resources for law.

Another example of why we need federal interstate reciprocity (I know, I'm preaching to the choir). 

Carry safe. 
New Castle County
DE CCDW,  PA LTCF,  UT CFP
NRA Benefactor Member
DSSA Member

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 06:15:02 PM »
You are free to do as you'd like however releying on an app when it comes to the law isn't betting on the safe side of things! "But your honor, the app said.." Sigh.. Face palm!

Handgunlaw.us is the best way to start any research for a trip. Not to simply print out the pages but to read the pages and follow the links to each states website to see if the laws have changed. Print outs of the laws should be directly from each state website.

Anytime you are pulled over by a LEO you want hard copies on paper, neatly organized in a folder or binder. Saying, "one second sir while I open this random app on my tiny smartphone screen" just begs for a further annoyed officer. They don't want that. Then there us the issue of reading a small screen in the bright sun or the danger of turning up a bright screen in the dark blinding the officer.

Just say no to apps.

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 08:47:08 PM »
ChrisCar, I think the point you made is what some of the senior folks at this site have been telling newer folks for a long time. Thanks for reinforcing that message. Go to the appropriate states criminal justice code, find the applicable data, and print it. Add the date and check it often.
Cheers
New Castle County

Condition 1

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 11:20:50 PM »

I agree with you, the app is cool but in no shape or form I would rely on it for reference.

You are free to do as you'd like however releying on an app when it comes to the law isn't betting on the safe side of things! "But your honor, the app said.." Sigh.. Face palm!

Handgunlaw.us is the best way to start any research for a trip. Not to simply print out the pages but to read the pages and follow the links to each states website to see if the laws have changed. Print outs of the laws should be directly from each state website.

Anytime you are pulled over by a LEO you want hard copies on paper, neatly organized in a folder or binder. Saying, "one second sir while I open this random app on my tiny smartphone screen" just begs for a further annoyed officer. They don't want that. Then there us the issue of reading a small screen in the bright sun or the danger of turning up a bright screen in the dark blinding the officer.

Just say no to apps.

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2015, 11:29:52 PM »
If you hand your unlocked cell phone to a police officer, (s)he can look at everything on it without a warrant or further probable cause.
Not that there's anything illegal on my phone, but it's going to be locked.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2015, 01:39:46 AM »
If you hand your unlocked cell phone to a police officer, (s)he can look at everything on it without a warrant or further probable cause.
Not that there's anything illegal on my phone, but it's going to be locked.

Great point.. Also note that there are tons of ways normal (legal) data on a smartphone can be used against you. One should never ever give up a cell phone to a LEO!