Author Topic: Knife or no knife...  (Read 10678 times)

Moosie

• Life Member
Knife or no knife...
« on: May 15, 2013, 05:15:38 PM »
Recently, I was asked by a friend why I didn't carry a pocket knife since I was also CCW'ing.  Honestly, I hadn't given it much thought. I know many of you on here also carry a pocket knife.  What do you carry (brand and model if you know it) and why do you carry it? 

Thanks!

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

Gorski

Re: Knife or no knife...
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 06:13:26 PM »
Kershaw...just a back up to the back up
Never leave home without it!
New Castle County

Bmel17

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 06:21:08 PM »
kershaw leek.  can be used for a variety of reasons: cut items, pry tool, self defense, etc. makes me feel better in "gun free" zone as well.  I also carry an olight eos i3 flashlight next to the knife.  I'm also purchasing a leatherman squirt for the key chain

TwistedKarma

• Administrator
  • Life Member
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 06:28:53 PM »
Is that a knife in your pocket. Or you  glad to see me..   
Just trying to survive in the second Great Deprssion.

fdegree

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 06:30:58 PM »
I carry a SOG Flash II with partially serrated edge.  Here is a link:

http://www.sogknives.com/flash-ii-partially-serrated.html

« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 07:08:15 PM by fdegree »
Violence, when there is an alternative, is immoral.
Violence, when there is no alternative, is survival.
-Unknown-

A battle avoided cannot be lost.
-Sun Tzu-

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 06:32:31 PM »
I have carried a pocket knife of some type for 30 years and everyday there is a reason. Rarely for protection but it is there. I currently carry a Kershaw SpeedSafe 1660. It's spring assist and extremely quick to open, holds a great edge, has a clip, light to carry and has a small safety. It's NOT a work/utility knife. It is a light daily use knife. I could certainly use it as a self defense weapon and feel it would suit that need just fine.

A bit off topic however....
Personally my first choice would be a quality automatic OTF knife.. not a switchblade. Unfortunately Delaware is one state where they are still banned. I see Maryland dropped the ban a year of so ago.. Go figure! They are without a doubt the safest knife for daily carry and general daily household use. They open and close with one hand by pushing a button forward and back with your thumb leaving your other hand free to hold something, keep between you and a nearby child, etc. We buy most of our stuff online so constantly opening boxes and with a young child running around the ability to open/close a knife with 1 thumb very quickly is a safety advantage. It takes a good amount of force to activate the button so children can't open it. The don't open if dropped. They will not stab or puncture if opened while pressed up to a person... I held one to my hand, pushed the button and yes it did break the skin drawing a tiny drop of blood but the blade simply dropped back into the handle. I don't suggest doing it as it does still hurt like the dickens!  ::) Just trust me on this one lol.

I had carried an inexpensive automatic OTF knife called the Lightening for years (before moving to DE) as a pocket knife. It was a cheap knife for certain but it was used, abused, beat and pounded on with rocks and even hammers, dropped, tossed and used hard for sure. I eventually lost it to a friend who decided it was better in his pocket then mine.  :'(

I'd love to try and have them legalized in Delaware down the road.. After all this anti-gun crap calms down. If MD can do it shouldn't we?

Edit.. There I go again :)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 06:34:30 PM by Adrenolin »

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2013, 07:44:25 PM »
Kershaw 1670BLK or Leek.  EDC
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2013, 08:00:40 PM »
Thanks for all the input. I ordered a Kershaw.  It won't be here before I leave, but I look forward to playing with it when I get back!   :D

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2013, 11:06:56 PM »
They make an affordable good quality knife that, as a bonus, is made here in the US.. or at least mine says so.

LightninSVT

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2013, 01:17:11 AM »
I carry a Benchmade Barrage with serrated edge daily.  Before the Benchmade I picked up a SOG Flash II that I got real cheap online but I hardy ever use it now.  I use my knife mainly as a utility tool but I guess it's there for protection if I need it...on the opposite side of my holster.

I bought my dad a Benchmade Triage for Christmas, that thing is nice...I might have to get one for myself.  It's not an assisted open knife but it has a hook shaped safety cutter and glass breaker built in.  The Benchmade knives are a little pricey but you can definitely notice the quality and durability of them.  You will never need to buy another.

Jon

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2013, 01:34:29 AM »
Buck knives 337, with a S30V stainless steel blade.  It has a neat little gimmick where you swivel the end cap to unlock the blade. My son gave it to me for Christmas last year.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 01:36:34 AM by Hawkeye »

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2013, 03:15:46 AM »
Thank you all for your replies! 

I purchased a Kershaw "Ken Onion Tactical Blur"

I liked that it had a serrated section on the blade for cutting rope as well as other small things.  I figure it will serve more as a utility knife in all actuality, but still would like to have it should my firearm not get the job done! 

I guess I'll have to get it and wear it for a bit before I can say whether or not this is the knife for me. I did get a chance to see Radnor's Kershaw tonight and really liked it.  **Radnor, I'm sending mine to you for sharpening :)** 

Moosie

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2013, 12:18:23 PM »
**Radnor, I'm sending mine to you for sharpening :)** 

I saw when you checked it last night.  I was going to ask but didn't...
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

hellyes

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2013, 02:37:25 PM »
I carry a cheap Tac-Force speedster model every day. Cost me like $15 so i don't care if it gets jacked up.

formerly known as frank

• Life Member
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2013, 03:11:58 PM »
I have carried a knife daily, since I was nine years old, I use it almost daily. Buck, Kershaw, and others make good quality knives, but no one tempers their blades as well as Benchmade. Using S30V, 154CM, or another good steel, Benchmade's edge will outlast the others, and their quality is usually better. I have Buck, Kershaw, Gerber, Boker, and other makes of knives, but I carry a Benchmade. A good knife can prevent someone, who gets close enough, from taking away your gun, it is a good idea to carry one.