Author Topic: NRA-ILA Delaware Right To Carry Classification  (Read 2087 times)

MarkB

• Life Member
NRA-ILA Delaware Right To Carry Classification
« on: January 07, 2014, 11:22:37 PM »
I think this has been mentioned before but the NRA-ILA in the Gun Laws, State Laws at a Glance map for Right To Carry Laws, Delaware is placed in the group that includes CA, NY, NJ, MD and others with the definition of "Rights Restricted-Very Limited Issue".

We continue to fly under the radar.

http://www.nraila.org/gunlaws
NRA Benefactor Member
USCG, 1963-1967, GM-3

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
Re: NRA-ILA Delaware Right To Carry Classification
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 01:18:31 AM »
Delaware legally is "May Issue".  What has occurred over the last 10 years or so is a defacto shall issue IF a reason to deny doesn't exist.  Aside from the obvious exclusion of anyone who is not eligible to own a firearm,
Denials seem to be confined to those with a history of violent incidents, drunk driving and domestic issues

Prior to the past decade only those who carried money and such were issued permits routinely

This changed when training was mandated and true "shall issue" looked like it would pass the General Assembly.  The ability to deny based on character was retained with a gentlemans agreement to generally issue licenses to qualified citizens

This makes us much more like Connectcut rather than Maryland
Some have called this "permissive May issue"
DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.

Re: NRA-ILA Delaware Right To Carry Classification
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 12:16:33 AM »
One thing about "shall issue" that was discussed people should be aware of is this. I was not there and was not even a gun owner at the time. Many people who were and went to dover when this was being discussed said "All kinds of amendments were going to get tacked onto it that would limit where we could carry".

It seems like we have an ok deal. I have heard a few people getting declined for what seems like crap. I would prefer a very detailed reason even if we stay may issue. I don't believe a constitutional right should be subject to "why do you need it". I think it should be the burden on them as to why not.

I also think that judges should be liable when they decline people and then the person needed a gun but could not have it ( robbed, raped or something). I know that wont happen, but if judges in MD and NJ were subject to disbarment or a civil suit I think they would not be as anti gun.

What really burns me up is the same people who see nothing wrong with making gun owners go through hoops now or want to even make people get a permit to purchase ammo ( possible in California). These same people flip out at the very thought of drug testing welfare recipients as an invasion of privacy yet fully support putting our names in the paper?????

It can all be tied into the original sin of America.
"We are all entitled to our own opinions, but we are not entitled to our own facts"