Author Topic: Ever open carry?  (Read 7225 times)

GunEnvy

• Life Member
  • NRA Life Member
Ever open carry?
« on: April 12, 2011, 10:21:21 PM »
Recently Ive been thinking about OCing once in awhile and was wondering if anybody else here has or does. Open carry is something that has never appealed to me solely because I didnt want to deal with the looks. (Not knocking oc, just wasnt for me). But lately Ive been thinking that it seems like it would be a very freeing expierence.....yeh its a effing gun, look all you want. Maybe its the inner therapist in me or just the effects of ling cold winter. Just wanted to get other peoples thoughts on it.
Honey I swear I've had that gun for years!

John

Re: Ever open carry?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 10:41:50 PM »
I have never seen anyone OC in Delaware.  I would imagine every step you took a 911 call would be going in.  Probably more hassel then it's worth.  I do hope some OC guys reply to this thread, would love to hear about their experience's.

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 10:43:41 PM »
Never done it myself. There is a Delaware open carry forum as well.
New Castle County

colt0208

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 10:54:45 PM »
Thought about trying it, but can't shake the self conscious "Target" feeling I will have.... the way I see it is if anything should go down, the bad guy will see me as the biggest threat if he knows I have a gun on me....... I think I will stick to concealed personally...... to each his own though...

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 10:57:25 PM »
I O/C often.  You get a few stares and every now and then you get into a good conversation because of it. I have never had a bad experience but there are those who have.  I have been asked more than once if I am a police officer.  If any of you are in the Milford area I'll be willing to go with you on your first O/C if you want some support.

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County

muleman88

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 10:59:40 PM »
I never see anyone oc either. I can imagine the looks you would get. Maybe the public needs to see more of it, that way they would get used to it and not call 911 . I seen the oc forum http://www.deloc.org/ they seem to oc fairly often.

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 11:16:38 PM »
I've never actually carried openly... although, now that I've lost more than 100 pounds, my "hidden in plain sight" Safepacker holster has become much more conspicuous. (Anybody need a well-worn black carry belt in a size 46)?

When I see people carry openly, I make the following assumptions:
--They are obviously not "persons prohibited:" if they were, their guns would be hidden.
--They are obviously not about to commit a crime: if they were, their guns would be hidden.
--They are obviously not going to let hoplophobes restrict their fashion choices: if they were, their guns would be hidden.

More power to them.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

Condition 1

• Life Member
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2011, 11:22:08 PM »
I have OCed a couple of times. Today my OC is limited to gunstore, gun show, firearm related event...if there are no policies against OC.

The two main reasons I prefer CC are:
- I believe in the tactical advantage of the element of surprise
- I don't like the attention when OCing

GunEnvy

• Life Member
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2011, 11:23:00 PM »
if you want some support.
Lol if the guy with the gun needs any support ;D......Im sorry Hawkeye I do completely understand what you mean but I got a chuckle out of it. Thanks for the offer and I may just take you up on it. Is there anything you do differently when you oc or do you simply just not conceal it? Ive seen the oc forum and have spoken to a couple people that do oc but Ive always felt that some, and I do mean some, OCers seem to OC because they can and seem like they almost want to rub that fact in peoples face. Hoping to get some feelings from people that prefer to cc but do oc.
Honey I swear I've had that gun for years!

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2011, 11:29:35 PM »
[Is there anything you do differently when you oc or do you simply just not conceal it?

Just make sure that it is clearly out in the open, I would not O/C with an IWB. Check the O/C forum for their advice on what to do if you run into one of the local LEO's that are not to keen on citizens open carrying firearms.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 11:54:43 PM by Hawkeye »

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2011, 12:00:57 AM »
Thought about trying it, but can't shake the self conscious "Target" feeling I will have.... the way I see it is if anything should go down, the bad guy will see me as the biggest threat if he knows I have a gun on me....... I think I will stick to concealed personally...... to each his own though...
I can only think of one recent case where a man O/C'ing was targeted because he was O/C'ing. He had his firearm stolen.  There is plenty of evidence that shows that when the bad guy sees a citizen with a firearm, he will go look for easier prey.

Sussex County

colt0208

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2011, 12:42:22 AM »
..[/quote]
I can only think of one recent case where a man O/C'ing was targeted because he was O/C'ing. He had his firearm stolen.  There is plenty of evidence that shows that when the bad guy sees a citizen with a firearm, he will go look for easier prey.
[/quote]

Only takes one time to end up dead.....like I say, some people are totally comfortable with it, but not me personally......the less attention I draw, the better off I am (and feel  ;D)

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2011, 12:52:32 PM »
like I say, some people are totally comfortable with it, but not me personally......the less attention I draw, the better off I am (and feel  ;D)

Agreed. I do not judge people for their preference, CCW or O/C, as I do both.

Sussex County

Schmenge

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2011, 01:39:39 PM »
I've only witnessed open carry in Delaware once, and that was several years ago. I read the OC forum often and enjoy their posts concerning open carry and "Encounters of Note". I'm in favor of the right to open carry but prefer to cc myself. I would open carry only under certain circumstances, i.e. if there were some kind of break down in the rule of law or if a "show of force" was necessary for whatever reason. My biggest concern is that open carry will somehow cause so much consternation among the general public that people will demand that it be banned. In a place like DE with the governor we have I could see that happening.

If my CCDW renewal doesn't come through in time, I may be forced to open carry!
Schmenge
NRA Patron Member

Thlax

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2011, 05:37:55 AM »
I've only witnessed open carry in Delaware once, and that was several years ago. I read the OC forum often and enjoy their posts concerning open carry and "Encounters of Note". I'm in favor of the right to open carry but prefer to cc myself. I would open carry only under certain circumstances, i.e. if there were some kind of break down in the rule of law or if a "show of force" was necessary for whatever reason. My biggest concern is that open carry will somehow cause so much consternation among the general public that people will demand that it be banned. In a place like DE with the governor we have I could see that happening.

If my CCDW renewal doesn't come through in time, I may be forced to open carry!

I'm pretty sure your reciept from when you renewed covers you during the time that your renewal is late.