Author Topic: home invasions down state  (Read 9432 times)

Capnball

Re: home invasions down state
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2012, 02:33:23 AM »
Mominde- Hopefully, your encounter with the 2 pressure wash guys was just 2 highly enterprising people attempting to drum up some business. I've gotten into the habit of looking at the vehicles that come into my driveway closely. If they are unfamiliar, I will retrieve my handgun before answering the door. Not too long ago, I was also burglarized. On the morning of the day that it happened, an old beat up Chevy Blazer slowed down on the road as it passed in front of my house while I was outside preparing to go to work. Since some of the house numbers along the road are sometimes difficult to read, I didn't think much of it at the time but I was paying attention for just a moment and noticed that the vehicle moved on rather quickly when I made eye contact with it. I went on to work and thought nothing more of it.  When my wife came home that day from work, the back door was completely broken in half. They had apparently used something very heavy to break it down that much. Gone were laptop and other electronics and the one shotgun that did not fit in the safe, as well as some collectable knives. I know that they were moving fast as they dropped some of the knives in the house and driveway. I called the cops and told my story, but there was no real investigation and the cop said that I was yet one more in a rash in the area of the same pattern. While I know I don't really need a permit to carry in my own home, it did make me reconsider a few other things about security; new doors, locks and other items. The CCP was just one more item on that list. I learned the hard way about paying attention and having a plan. It isn't paranoia to question your surroundings or to think of situations that could put you in danger and how you might be better prepared to meet the situation. Prepared is actually the opposite of fear.

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2012, 12:14:28 AM »
You can CC while in your home, yes. It's good practice while waiting for your license.
New Castle County

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2012, 12:54:52 AM »
I am retired, and spend alot of time at home in the winter. During my 8 week wait for my CCDW, I carried my 9mm holstered all day everyday, to get use to it. I have a IWB Pro-Carry Deep Comfort leather holster and now that I have my permit, I don't go anywhere with out it. I even carry when walking 2-3 miles for exercise. I won't be caught without it.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

mominde

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2012, 12:40:26 AM »
Thankfully my 2 large dogs were pushing to get out and prob scared them off.  I have 2 younger children (7&10) at home so I won't open carry.  I knew it was ok to have at home, just not sure on the usage laws.  Does anyone have recommendations for keeping it close to the door?  I'm in a 2 story house and guns are locked upstairs.  Normally I wouldn't just answer the door - my driveway is on the side of the house so I can't see the type of cars people pull up in.

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2012, 01:03:07 AM »
I generally don't answer my door either. I can open my bay window, which is almost above the door, and speak to the stranger. I absolutely never respond to knocks on my door after dark. My two dogs help a lot also. Great watch dogs. Perhaps you could use me of those small gun safes that open only for your fingers. Nano vault. Honestly I wouldn't trust it if I had youngsters at home.
New Castle County