Author Topic: transfer and background check cost  (Read 6203 times)

eclipse

transfer and background check cost
« on: October 25, 2013, 01:28:44 AM »
What is the going rate for a transfer and background check?  Seems like most stores are asking for $50.  I thoughg it was $20 max in the DE code.  I have found some ffl holders willing to run evergthing for $30.  Just wondering if anyone is still less than that.

robberbaron

Re: transfer and background check cost
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 01:46:59 AM »
I bought a Glock from Glock Store last month and had a local FFL charge me $30.00. Seems reasonable to me.

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 01:53:16 AM »
Don't quote me...  I believe Federal Firearms in Middletown does them for $20. 

Chris??  can you verify? 

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

Federal Firearm

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 03:04:20 AM »
that is correct Moosie....transfers are $20.00

chris

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2013, 10:20:38 PM »
Amendment 2 to House Bill 35 (Markell's new gun show Loophole bill):

This amendment reduces the maximum fee that may be charged by a dealer for a background check under House Bill 35 from $50 to $30.  In addition, it provides that no fee may be charged for the return of a firearm to its owner if the proposed transaction cannot be immediately and legally completed as the result (or lack thereof) of a background check
New Castle County

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2013, 10:36:13 PM »
So, I guess the people that are over charging should be reported to the Attorney General's Office, or what?
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2013, 01:16:34 AM »
Sturm,

just ignore them and call Federal Firearms.  hehehee    ;D

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2013, 11:06:47 AM »
just ignore them and call Federal Firearms.  hehehee    ;D

+1
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

Obleo

• Life Member
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2013, 12:48:19 PM »
I just spoke with a friend that used Shooters Choice in Dover for a transfer.  He said they were rude as can be and charged $50.00.  I could have choked him for not researching a little.
Proud resident of Kent County DE

eclipse

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2013, 12:56:12 PM »
Thanks for the info.  Seems like the stores are charging 50 and the smaller ffl are charging 20 to 30.  I have 2 near by that are now charging 30. I will probably use one of them from now on.  I would probably burn 10 bucks in gas just getting to middletown.   

JOET

• Life Member
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2013, 01:34:38 PM »
The $10 bucks in gas will be more than worth the tour of the goodies that you will get to see, and the best conversation that money can buy....just my .02 cents worth..
New Castle County

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2013, 05:07:03 PM »
I saw Shooters Choice charge a guy $85 for a transfer back just before they put a limit on it. I remember asking a few people there different times and usually got differing answers from $50 through $95. They do NOT want to do transfers period.

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2013, 09:19:26 PM »
I've never had a good experience with Shooters. ever.  Back when it was only Dave Lawson, and two other guys who worked there... it was ok.  Now?  The service is always rude, their prices are beyond ridiculous for everything, and on top of it, I dont have anyone who can say they've had a good experience with them.

I live in Dover at this point and gladly drive to Middletown to see Chris at Federal Firearms.  As several others have mentioned, he's got a great variety of everything to look at, he knows his stuff inside and out, and I find him to always be pleasant to deal with!!  Always great conversation, reasonable prices, and $20 for transfers???  Heck yeah!!  I'll take it. 

Eclipse, make an afternoon of it. There's great backroads for scenery, some restaurants in Middletown to eat at before or after and you'll be able to meet another person from the forum.  :) 

Just my .02. 

Moosie

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2013, 11:05:46 PM »
Cant say that I have had bad service at Shooters aside from one guy who I'll ignore if I walk in and he is the only one available. I simply state I'll wait for someone else. An older guy, never smiles, is rude and in my opinion should be fired. Most of the others I've had good talks with and even got a free box of 9mm one night when *I* sold 2 handguns for them. Thought that was pretty decent of them.

That said, they ARE overpriced on everything from firearms to accessories to range services to CCDW classes. I still go there primarily for the range as its a quick 15 minutes away from me. I really wish someone would open a decent range here in Middletown! If anyone is.. talk to me :)

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2013, 11:16:45 PM »
There is another gun shop in Dover on Rt.10 in the chain of shops up from Carl King Inc. It's call Lawmens Supply. No Range though.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun