Author Topic: Concealed Carry in a vehicle  (Read 7635 times)

Beretta92

Concealed Carry in a vehicle
« on: February 08, 2013, 08:06:20 PM »
What is the legal way to carry concealed in a vehicle? I have read many opinions but want to be sure that I get it right. Thanks!

Bmel17

Re: Concealed Carry in a vehicle
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 08:19:46 PM »
any way that is safe!  It's a personal choice IMO as to on you holstered or on vehicle holstered.

seniorgeek

• Life Member
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 06:35:06 PM »
If I put it in my glove box while in the car is that OK? Naturally I would take it with me when I leave the car.

comment: Many year ago we all carried pistol in our vehicles and I attended hunter safety class in the high school gym and the we completed the firing exercise in the woods behind the school. I guess this shows my age. We also brought our guns to shop class to clean and repair before hunting season, Awww longing for those days but not now and never will be again. So sad....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NRA Member
Combat Veteran
Southeastern Sussex County

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 06:54:56 PM »
any way that is safe!  It's a personal choice IMO as to on you holstered or on vehicle holstered.

If glove box(GB) and you get a ticket, will you get the LEO's pants knotted up?  If you reach into the GB and NOT tell him/her before hand.
If on you (right side) that seat belt is a pain the the ...

PRACTICE with an UNLOADED gun OUT OF VIEW.  You'll decide.
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

Obleo

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 07:15:46 PM »
Unless you are transporting to a range or hunt with no personal protection motives the firearm should be as close to your hand as you can comfortably get it.  I wear a shoulder rig and belt holsters.  I am absolutely sure I will never need to withdraw a firearm with the seatbelt still fastened.  Getting yourself out of a situation is all that matters.

The days of glove box storage and shotguns (thinking of you Sheriff Joe) hanging in the rear window are long gone.
Proud resident of Kent County DE

seniorgeek

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 09:56:36 PM »
Thanks for your comments. I checked and I agree, getting it out of the glove box is not an option. Seat belt is a hassle. OK we can close this.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NRA Member
Combat Veteran
Southeastern Sussex County

Bmel17

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 10:10:19 PM »

If glove box(GB) and you get a ticket, will you get the LEO's pants knotted up?  If you reach into the GB and NOT tell him/her before hand.
If on you (right side) that seat belt is a pain the the ...

PRACTICE with an UNLOADED gun OUT OF VIEW.  You'll decide.

I also don't keep my info in my glove box but my console.  Both are 12g steel locking vaults.  The console is deep and where I usually keep it if and IF I have to stow it. 

I have a holster mounted below my steering column. 

FIREFIGHTER7248

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2013, 03:15:21 AM »
Within arms length and out of plain sight
Sussex County

21fred

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2013, 01:20:13 AM »
Senior Geek,,

You're bringing back memories for me.... I also took my hunter safety class in the High School cafeteria and many of us had guns in our pick- up truck gun racks in the school parking lot....   ;)

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2013, 06:14:07 PM »
Yes, all of the above are correct LOL. 

The bottom line is that I find it's what the person who is licensed to carry concealed is comfortable doing.  That being said, if you choose to put your firearm in the glovebox and let's say you run back inside for whatever reason and your wife (assuming she's not a card carrying member for CCW), decides to take your car up the block to the store... she is now in a whole heap of trouble.  :) 

Just wanted to be sure that everyone keeps that in mind when they decide to leave a firearm (not properly stowed) and someone else takes your vehicle.  I had this *almost* happen when I was married.. and the ex decided he was going to take the car to the store instead of moving my vehicle out of the way and taking his own.  Luckily, I caught him before he had put it in gear.  It was the first and last time I decided to put a firearm in the glove box.

My preference is to carry on my person for any trips less than 2 hours.  I typically carry a Glock 32 in a IWB Crossbreed Supertuck holster at the 4 o'clock position.  If it's longer than that, it's in the holster in my purse which is always next to me.  If I'm crossing into states that I'd have to stow the weapon, it's in a holster until I reach the state line...  then I get out and stow it in a locked trunk safe (unloaded). 

Just my two cents on what I do. 

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2013, 01:51:58 AM »
I have mine on my hip or in the pants holster
"We are all entitled to our own opinions, but we are not entitled to our own facts"

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2013, 01:06:57 PM »
When driving I carry IWB and if I have to go into and "no carry zone" I have a locking Gun Vault concealed in my truck.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun