Author Topic: I find it harder to get -->  (Read 7030 times)

joep19934

• Life Member
I find it harder to get -->
« on: March 21, 2013, 05:47:52 PM »
I find it harder to get Ammo at a decent price then it was to get my CCDW Permit, just saying !
LOL
18 Day Turnaround
Kent County
NRA Member
DE/PA CCDW permits
BRIDGEVILLE RIFLE & PISTOL CLUB Member
Delaware State Sportsman's Association

Newlife503

• Life Member
Re: I find it harder to get -->
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 07:13:06 PM »
People laughed at me when I bought a bunch in January.  Now I can go shooting when I want and their begging me to sell them some ammo.  Guess who's laughing now!
NRA Life Member
DSSA Member
DE,PA,FL,UT CC Permits
New Castle County

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 01:28:24 AM »
I find it harder to get Ammo at a decent price then it was to get my CCDW Permit, just saying !
LOL

I never thought of that, but that is a very good point.
"We are all entitled to our own opinions, but we are not entitled to our own facts"

joep19934

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 02:08:24 AM »
People laughed at me when I bought a bunch in January.  Now I can go shooting when I want and their begging me to sell them some ammo.  Guess who's laughing now!

I just spent $130 on 100rds of 223 and 150rds 9mm.
I'm looking for more obviously :) Good Luck in your search.
18 Day Turnaround
Kent County
NRA Member
DE/PA CCDW permits
BRIDGEVILLE RIFLE & PISTOL CLUB Member
Delaware State Sportsman's Association

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 04:27:03 AM »
I bought .223 while up in Canada last month  ::)  Go figure! Might buy more next month on another visit. Cheaper then anywhere here and was in stock everywhere.

TwistedKarma

• Administrator
  • Life Member
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 09:06:10 AM »
One reason, I kept my psl.    Anyone for 54R?    ;D
Just trying to survive in the second Great Deprssion.

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 04:43:51 PM »
I bought .223 while up in Canada last month  ::)  Go figure! Might buy more next month on another visit. Cheaper then anywhere here and was in stock everywhere.

Ammo tourism. That just might catch on!

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2013, 05:20:50 PM »

Ammo tourism. That just might catch on!

Bring some back for your buddies :)

we might need it the way "things are going"

Don't forget .22lr, 9mm. 40sw and 45acp
"We are all entitled to our own opinions, but we are not entitled to our own facts"

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 03:10:00 AM »
Kids, don't wait until SHTF to try and buy your ammo!!  Ammoman.com has decent prices and usually has a good availability. 

I bought 1,000 of all rounds I shoot back in October. Not sorry I did. :)

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2013, 12:13:11 PM »
Kids, don't wait until SHTF to try and buy your ammo!!  Ammoman.com has decent prices and usually has a good availability. 

I bought 1,000 of all rounds I shoot back in October. Not sorry I did. :)

Moosie

Very sage advice

Keep your powder dry and blades sharp and make sure to keep a reserve of ammo in addition to target practice. I know estimates vary, but I would say at least 1k of rounds for your ar or ak and 250 for your side arm.

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2013, 05:43:37 PM »
Different people have different levels of interest...  in my personal opinion if you have a concealed carry permit, you need to be at the range regularly.  Regularly can mean different things to different people... bottom line, that means you should be purchasing ammo enough to not only hit the range, but also if SHTF..  so that magic # is up to you. 

me? I like to keep enough for the SHTF, some decent range time, as well as some backup during times when our stupendous president has anal glaucoma.

And by SHTF.. don't start envisioning the movie 2012.  It's whatever you think a SHTF looks like. 

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2013, 06:42:25 PM »
I see SHTF right now and over the past few months. In order to be proficient you need practice. You need ammo to practice. Without ammo to practice your not proficient. If your not proficient your a danger to yourself and others around you if a situation arises where you must pull a firearm.

SHTF isn't the end of the world like Moosie stated. It could having a flat tire on your way home on a dark street. It could be the moment you have to walk between 2 vehicles in a parking lot. SHTF is anytime you feel gravely threatened.

I don't hoard ammo. I have a healthy supply that ensures I can hit the range for practice and some for any SHTF moments I run into. I don't stockpile for the end of the world! I don't have the time, means, space nor desire to take that quest on.

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2013, 08:51:46 PM »
I see SHTF right now and over the past few months. In order to be proficient you need practice. You need ammo to practice. Without ammo to practice your not proficient. If your not proficient your a danger to yourself and others around you if a situation arises where you must pull a firearm.

SHTF isn't the end of the world like Moosie stated. It could having a flat tire on your way home on a dark street. It could be the moment you have to walk between 2 vehicles in a parking lot. SHTF is anytime you feel gravely threatened.

I don't hoard ammo. I have a healthy supply that ensures I can hit the range for practice and some for any SHTF moments I run into. I don't stockpile for the end of the world! I don't have the time, means, space nor desire to take that quest on.

Lots of people have been talking about this. I buy ammo when I see it. I figure I can always trade for a caliber I need if someone needs something I have. I know I am not shooting any .223 hardly because of how hard it is to find maybe 20 rounds a month and then just my m&p15-22 for marksmanship.

glock9

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2013, 11:44:24 PM »
whats considered hoarding? 5000 rnds  10000 rnds?

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2013, 06:47:39 PM »
Hoarding ammo...  Hmm...   I think when you have to bring the boxes in disguised as something else to hide it from your significant other.  Oh, wait...  that's when you're bringing in a new "toy". (Repeat after me...  this gun? No, this is the one I bought two years ago. LOL) If your ammo supply is stacked and used as living room furniture, you might *MIGHT* have a hording situation.   ;D

I think it depends on a few things (in my opinion)... how many firearms you have that fit that caliber, how often you go to the range, how much ammo you typically use when you do go to the range, as well as how much storage room you have and why would you need to keep a large amount of excess. Right now? because of the current shortage (that I'm seeing is starting to ease up?), price increases, etc.. I'm holding onto roughly 1,000 rounds more per caliber than I typically would. This is roughly double what I normally keep on hand. Sometimes if someone wants to split a case or a pallet and I have the extra cash, sure. I'll buy in. 

My mother and her husband recently got their permits... they buy ammo when they go to the range and I think might have an extra box for each firearm they have (a total of I think 3 firearms in the house). For them, having an extra 100 rounds? they don't see the necessity, let alone 1,000.

For me, I have several handguns that are the same caliber but some work better than others for concealed carry depending on how I'm dressed or it might be the one that I prefer to keep in the nightstand...  When i go to the range, I dont take everything with me.  So, if I know I'm going to take my rifles this month with some friends, then I usually take some extra ammo - unless they're bringing it. 

I think it's really up to each individual. 

Moosie