Author Topic: Article in Personal & Home Defense Magazine  (Read 4494 times)

rikwick

Article in Personal & Home Defense Magazine
« on: May 21, 2015, 04:37:14 PM »
In the April 6, 2015 issue in Personal & Home Defense Magazine there is an article on page 80 entitled "Traveling ARMED".   Here is a line: "If your destination happens to be one of these states [Maryland, California, and NJ] then drive to your location with your gun locked up as described above [in a case, in a trunk, unloaded] and then [upon arrival] get your gun out. My inlaws live in California. When I go visit them, my gun is unloaded and locked up. Once I get to their house, then I can take my gun out and load it up and carry it while in the house or keep it secure in a safe on the nightstand.  However I can't leave the house with it because I don't have a California concealed carry permit." Jason Hanson

My question for anyone out there is this legal?  My understanding is that federal law allows us to transport a gun if the destination is a place we can legally own a gun.  For me, a family member lives in Maryland-I don't even think about bringing my gun with me.  Thanks

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
Re: Article in Personal & Home Defense Magazine
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 10:47:38 PM »
The Federal Transport Act in what you need to read. I went from DE to WI in April. I have a DECCW and a PA. CCP both. I was covered for C/C in all states but MD. and IL.  Going through those states I locked my unloaded pistol in a case, in the rear locked tool box of my pickup. The ammo was locked in the interior out of reach of the driver. WI is an open carry state, and five of us in the family carry. I was the only one carrying concealed. My PA permit was good in WI. I had not problem at all.
A Side Note: before leaving I took all references of guns off my truck, no gun stickers, no NRA stickers, no DSSA stickers. Nothing referring to firearms. Why. because, I'm told,  MD cops look for that kind of stuff and may pull you over to check you out for fire arms and ammo. If possible stay out of MD. They suck.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

rikwick

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 11:52:10 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  Absolutely we are protected by federal law when traveling as long as we do so according to each states guidelines.  But the author was saying his destination was at his parents house in a state that his permit is not valid.  Once he got to the residence, he carried around his firearm at his parents house.  Is this legal?   I have family members I frequently visit in Maryland and in NJ, am I "legal" if I carry at their residence?  Note I do have DECCW, and I will observe each states tranport laws.

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 01:23:36 AM »
Thanks for the reply.  Absolutely we are protected by federal law when traveling as long as we do so according to each states guidelines.  But the author was saying his destination was at his parents house in a state that his permit is not valid.  Once he got to the residence, he carried around his firearm at his parents house.  Is this legal?   I have family members I frequently visit in Maryland and in NJ, am I "legal" if I carry at their residence?  Note I do have DECCW, and I will observe each states tranport laws.

I would say... and I am not a lawyer... NO, it is not legal.
In NJ, it's not legal for you to have the handgun at all, even in your relatives' home. Even if Federal law says it's OK, New Jersey would ignore the law and prosecute anyway.
Not sure about MD.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 01:27:59 AM »
The Federal Transport Act in what you need to read. I went from DE to WI in April. I have a DECCW and a PA. CCP both. I was covered for C/C in all states but MD. and IL.  Going through those states I locked my unloaded pistol in a case, in the rear locked tool box of my pickup. The ammo was locked in the interior out of reach of the driver. WI is an open carry state, and five of us in the family carry. I was the only one carrying concealed. My PA permit was good in WI. I had not problem at all.
A Side Note: before leaving I took all references of guns off my truck, no gun stickers, no NRA stickers, no DSSA stickers. Nothing referring to firearms. Why. because, I'm told,  MD cops look for that kind of stuff and may pull you over to check you out for fire arms and ammo. If possible stay out of MD. They suck.
In Illinois if you have Delaware you are good to carry concealed in your vehicle. You may not carry outside of your vehicle. Illinois law allows anyone with a home state carry license to carry concealed in a vehicle.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 01:34:41 AM by Clarence »
DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.

rikwick

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 10:02:28 AM »
Agreed oldgraygeek, I do not think that was good advice in that article at all.   Thankyou!

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2015, 07:39:30 AM »
I cant say it was great advice either since, for a closer example, you do not have a right to conceal carry in your own home here in DE. Other states could be the same. Unless it is expressly written in each states laws allowing CC inside ones home its bad advice.