Author Topic: New member in New Castle  (Read 7183 times)

Pavia

New member in New Castle
« on: July 15, 2012, 08:11:34 PM »
Hi. Just put my paperwork in for DE, FL, and AZ the other week and took the course. I'll be getting the PA license too once DE is complete. I work for Boeing in Ridley Park and hold a C&R FFL as well. I just did two SBR's last year with no problems. Hopefully DE CCW will be here by October or so. My background is ex-military and shooting since I was 18.

My current CCW choices from the safe are a 45 Kimber Ultra Carry CDPII, an HK USP Compact in 9mm, and a Keltec 380 for summer light dress.

But since the permit is for deadly weapons, I also considered a honey badger! Haha, sorry... I cut myself up sometimes... :)

Anyway, great forum and looking forward to all the great advice...

Thanks...

Condition 1

• Life Member
Re: New member in New Castle
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 08:26:56 PM »
Welcome to DECCW, this is a great forum, very well moderated, with great info. Congrats on your SBRs, I started working on it last year and went as far as getting the CLEO signature. Good having you around, looking forward in hearing your experiences with SBRs.

Pavia

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 08:37:19 PM »
Thanks!

I have two SBR and both are HKs. Well sort of... One is Vector Arms V-53 clone I bought at X-ring a few years back. Had a fake suppressor that was not doing well with that short 8" barrel. So I got the tax stamp and removed the fake can and put a HK53 flash hider on it. 223 out of an 8" barrel is quite impressive.

The other is an HK USC 45 carbine that I did the UMP Conversion on. Takes 30rd grease gun mags. It's really sweet and accurate to boot.

The process wasn't bad at all. Took like a month or less to get the stamps back from WV.

Pavia

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 08:40:39 PM »
It is $200 bucks for each one you register though. And no full auto :(

And pain to sell if you ever decide too...

Pavia

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 09:02:14 PM »
I have an active security clearance with DoD. Does that matter as far as points, or is just a matter of the investigation running it's course?

Condition 1

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 09:06:20 PM »
I have an active security clearance with DoD. Does that matter as far as points, or is just a matter of the investigation running it's course?

As far as getting your licence? If so, I think it is a matter of running its course.

Condition 1

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2012, 09:07:40 PM »
It is $200 bucks for each one you register though. And no full auto :(

And pain to sell if you ever decide too...

Yes, the only reason I didn't go ahead was because of cans not being allowed in DE, so o decided to go the 14.5" with permanently pinned flash hider.

Pavia

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2012, 09:11:44 PM »
Yes, the only reason I didn't go ahead was because of cans not being allowed in DE, so o decided to go the 14.5" with permanently pinned flash hider.

You should do it. The only real pain is sending it off for engraving.

I'm guessing you have a shorty AR.

Too tell the truth, I'm more worried about taking one of my belt-fed semi autos to a DE range than anything. I have a 1919 and a RPD but it raises more eyebrows than an SBR. Plus no reason to shoot 7.62 at Ommeladgon...

Condition 1

• Life Member
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2012, 09:33:12 PM »

Too tell the truth, I'm more worried about taking one of my belt-fed semi autos to a DE range than anything. I have a 1919 and a RPD but it raises more eyebrows than an SBR. Plus no reason to shoot 7.62 at Ommeladgon...

I wouldn't consider shorty, like yours. 14.5" plus the pinned FH bringing it to 16.1" to make it legal without the stamp. Maybe one day I will do it.

Pavia

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2012, 10:57:47 PM »

I wouldn't consider shorty, like yours. 14.5" plus the pinned FH bringing it to 16.1" to make it legal without the stamp. Maybe one day I will do it.

Yeah, it really depends on the firearm. Say an HK94 just feels better with the MP5 length barrel, but a CAR-15/M4 platform is better at 16+ inches.

Wickedrex

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2012, 06:01:26 PM »
I have built a few AR15s, one being an Ar15 "pistol" ( so brilliant because of the buffer tube!  As long as it doesn't have the shoulder piece!  How dumb!  Lol).  I have a 7.5" Black Rains SS barrel with a Noveske KX3 Flaming pig on it and love the hell out of it.  A little  bit louder than my others but much more tolerable with the Noveske on it vs. the standard cage.  I've been wanting to do my SBR tax stamp on her as well but just haven't gotten off my @@@ to do it.   I'm sure the CCW was much more indepth and I did that!  Anyhow, I'll get to it eventually so my single point sling will have to do for now.  Plus I want to add a vertical grip so thats more incentive to do it, right? Lol
--Jay--

Wickedrex

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2012, 06:07:18 PM »
Btw, you should try Elk Neck range with the belt feds.  Goes out to 100 yds which is better than nothing around here.  Just don't go alone.  I still don't really trust that place solo.
--Jay--

Pavia

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2012, 06:24:22 PM »
It really is pretty easy here for SBR. Our chief LEO (NCCP) is very gun friendly for solid citizens. And that's the only hurdle.