State News & Gun News > NRA & National Gun News

Man Holds Car Thief at Gunpoint Until Police Arrive

(1/2) > >>

joek:
http://nashua.patch.com/groups/police-and-fire/p/man-holds-car-thief-at-gunpoint-until-police-arrive

Clarence:
I note that the armed citizen felt threatened, but IMHO
I am not sure I would have pulled a gun unless demanding the stop illicited a threat.  

While he is holding the alleged thief for the police, remember that if he runs or walks away this is a "No Shoot" situation.

Also, now that YOU have pulled a gun, I believe that it is now inappropriate to follow.  Your only action at this point is to make sure the perpetrator does not harm anyone.  

Of course we don't know what if any dialog there was between the alleged thief and the citizen.  He may have been threatened.   In that case the display of a firearm might be appropriate.

oldgraygeek:

--- Quote from: Clarence on December 18, 2013, 03:00:02 PM ---I note that the armed citizen felt threatened, but IMHO
I am not sure I would have pulled a gun unless demanding he stop illicited a threat. 

While he is holding the alleged thief for the police, remember that if he runs or walks away this is a "No Shoot" situation.

Also, now that YOU have pulled a gun, I believe that it is now inappropriate to follow.  Your only action at this point is to make sure the perpetrator does not harm anyone. 

Of course we don't know what if any dialog there was between the alleged theif and the citizen.  He may have been threatened.   In that case the display of a firearm might be appropriate.

--- End quote ---

Very good summary.
I'm not sure if I would even try to hold the person, or just tell him to leave...

Adrenolin:
And that's what's wrong with today's laws and the way it changes people's thoughts overtime. The thief was inside the owners car attempting to start it. Of course you 'should' be able to draw on the thief, demand he stops and places his hands on the steering wheel keeping them where you can see them and not move. By doing so you have confronted him and most likely will make him stop. If he gets out of the car you can step away and if he runs off let him.. however if he attacks you have the right to defend yourself and you're ready. Definitely call 911 as quickly as you can and make sure you explain you are armed.

People have a right to defend ones family, self and possessions! No, it's not a right to go up and shoot the guy in your car (I doubt anyone here would or would want to) but it should be drawn to make the point that you will protect yourself.

I think the owner acted correctly and with the proper self control. It's never a good day if we have to draw for any reason and I truly hope no one here ever has to.

ESPMan:
I agree. I would draw, but if he wants to walk away, let him.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version