Author Topic: Newspaper chain to gather list of CCDW holders.  (Read 6811 times)

jstgsn

• Guns have only two enemies: rust and politicians.
Newspaper chain to gather list of CCDW holders.
« on: January 24, 2014, 02:25:00 PM »
Of course they are.   They say they do not intend to publish it (yet). 

http://dailycaller.com/2014/01/24/newspaper-conglomerate-considers-building-massive-database-of-gun-owners/

some of the follow up comments are interesting.

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
Re: Newspaper chain to gather list of CCDW holders.
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 05:15:42 PM »
Wonder how they will handle Alaska, Arizona, Vermont , Wyoming and Arkansas.  Guess they will
Have to download the whole phone book :-)
DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.

MarkB

• Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member
USCG, 1963-1967, GM-3

Cbmarine

• Life Member
  • III Marine Amphib Corps. My dad’s shoulder patch
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 06:17:50 PM »
Googled Civitas Media and came up with their website which says front and center
http://www.civitasmedia.com
-----------
Letter from the President
Statement from the CEO
Civitas Media never had any plans or intentions of publishing in print or online lists of holders of “conceal and carry” permits.  Nor will Civitas Media develop databases of permit holders.  A poorly crafted internal memo meant to highlight editorial discussions and planning incorrectly indicated that such a database was being planned; it has been considered and rejected.

Michael C. Bush, CEO
-----

They must have heard outcry.  "We didn't mean it!"   :'(
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 07:42:28 PM by Cbmarine »
Just a smelly deplorable dreg of society clinging to God and guns.
New Castle County
_..  .  _._   _..  ..._ _  .  ._.

sethinde

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 07:56:45 PM »
Yall beat me to it..  I was so gonna post this. 

Glad to see they are not approving this, but scary to think about how much info is out there for the taking. 

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 06:52:13 PM »
Hmmmm.  So, I'm trying to decide what all the fuss is about if they had published it?  They aren't publishing our pictures. If they were publishing exactly where in my house I kept my marshmallow stash, well..  then we'd have problems.  But if my name was published that I had a carry permit, I wouldnt care. Then again, I dont care what most folks think of me anyway.. 

?? 

Clueless in Delaware, Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 08:53:51 PM »
... Then again, I dont care what most folks think of me

Isn't it a great feeling. :) It would be a nice if more people had this attitude.

kent

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2014, 09:07:15 PM »
IF the newspaper could post your name and address as having a CCDW license could YOU also put a sign in front of your house stating that your neighbor, that lives at (123 anystreet. Anytown, DE.)  hates guns and does not believe in owning one? If it's public knowledge for one is it not public knowledge for both?  just curious
NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER
DSSA LIFE MEMBER
KENT COUNTY

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2014, 09:12:07 PM »
... Then again, I dont care what most folks think of me

Isn't it a great feeling. :) It would be a nice if more people had this attitude.

My life is SO much easier since I've come to that conclusion!  ;D

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2014, 09:14:48 PM »
Well, the address that I applied for my CCW and my current address are different...  again, some newspaper publishing that I have the proper paperwork to carry a deadly weapon on me poses no threat to me. If anything, it helps anyone who contemplated breaking into my home, or harming me, realize ohhhh...  wait.  She has a deadly weapon (yes.. this can be something other than a firearm), we'll skip her place.

I'm still lost as to what all the hub bub is about.

Moosie

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2014, 09:26:24 PM »
Although I understand the point some are making, I still value my privacy and don't want my name published. Same point with the phone tapping. Anyone listening to my conversation will be bored stiff, but I still want it private. Give them an inch....
New Castle County

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2014, 09:35:51 PM »
Lumspond,

I would rather not have my name published, but it's not worth my time to get in a tizzy over it.  I have more important things to worry about and fight for.

Moosie

seniorgeek

• Life Member
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2014, 09:42:44 PM »
Lumspond,
I would rather not have my name published, but it's not worth my time to get in a tizzy over it.  I have more important things to worry about and fight for.
Moosie

I agree. You published your request for CCW in the newspaper. It is in the records for anyone to find if they want to search.
Lets fight more important 2nd amendment issues.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NRA Member
Combat Veteran
Southeastern Sussex County

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2014, 11:58:03 PM »
Lumspond,
Moosie

I agree. You published your request for CCW in the newspaper. It is in the records for anyone to find if they want to search.
Lets fight more important 2nd amendment issues.

That is true, but I ( and many) don't believe we should have to put it in the paper. I am not sure how there is not a constitutional challenge of that from a right to not only privacy, but a second amendment challenge. I do realize though not everyone views carrying a gun a right. There are some that view it as a privilege.
"We are all entitled to our own opinions, but we are not entitled to our own facts"

robberbaron

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2014, 12:08:23 AM »
Fortunately, newspapers are on the way out.