Author Topic: DOJ Letter received Friday!  (Read 16862 times)

Moosie

• Life Member
DOJ Letter received Friday!
« on: June 08, 2009, 06:42:34 PM »
YAY!!!  I was told 90 days from the time I turned my paperwork in, and it's going to be that almost to the day.  Just in time for my birthday!!! 

Pretty funny... Saturday I decided to try and put my IWB holster on with the shorts I had on to see how baggy the shirt I'd wear with it had to be to avoid printing.  Well, nevermind.  The shorts (no belt) are a no go if Im carrying anything of size.  Looked like I had a load in my shorts and that I gained 60 lbs!!  @@@@. Now i'll have to find some Mom Mom shorts that will work...   or just go back to my skirt.  LOL 

In all seriousness, the holster I had was a left handed IWB that I used to carry in the small of my back.  I'm wondering if that's where I want to carry or not.  I like the thought of getting a right handed IWB and just carrying there...  but holy crap! there is nothing glamorous about carrying in the summer time for women!!  Any suggestions are welcome.  I'm even considering a pancake holster and just wearing something that will come over the side. 

:)  Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

GunEnvy

• Life Member
  • NRA Life Member
Re: DOJ Letter received Friday!
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 06:52:15 PM »
Moosie, you will find that where you carry is a very personal thing. Where is compfortable for you may hit me wrong. One word about the small of the back that I had never thought about until I had read it in a magazine. If you carry in the small of your back and get knocked down you may land right on your gun hitting your tailbone. Right of the bat you've put a good hurting on yourself. Also, if you get knocked down then, you have to reach underneath your self to reach your weapon.
I dont know if I did the article justice but thats the jist of it.
Honey I swear I've had that gun for years!

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 07:25:20 PM »
Thanks, GunEnvy.  Hadnt thought about that.  In speaking with my Uncle, he's suggesting a smaller (maybe 380) for "summer" carry.  YAY!!! More toys.  :)
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 10:12:14 PM »
Moosie Congrats and I agree with gunenvy the small of your back is a real bad location, you can try a small 380 in a belly band, I hear Ruger makes a real nice 380.
" An armed society is a polite society"
I not sick, I'm twisted. Sick makes it sound like there's a cure.

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 10:49:41 PM »
Thanks.  I'm going to give Dan a call and see if he can get a Glock 26 for me. 

CorBon

• Life Member
  • The Revolution starts in your heart...
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 01:27:02 AM »
As far as .380s, the new Ruger LCP appears to be decent.  It basically is a KelTec, probably with a bit more quality control. That being said, if you are looking for something tiny, the KelTec ultimately works.  It may take a trip or two back down to Florida, but it will work. 

That being said, you should really try to avoid having a .380 as your main weapon, unless you are going to a nudist colony and that is the only thing that will fit.

Although you need a decent holster(s) to carry the weapon, you may need to start out with a few different types of cheapy ones, just to get a feel for where you feel most comfortable carrying the weapon.  Of course, the difference between cheapy and good is normally night and day, so you may have to take that into consideration.  For example, a good OWB will hug the body tightly, while a cheapy may hang way out to the side (kinda like John Wayne).  Some people don’t like IWB, for various reasons. 

All in all, no matter where you are carrying this thing, it’s probably going to add some bulk.
Very few guns are actually "illegal guns."  A gun misappropriated by a criminal is no more of an "illegal gun" than a stolen car is an "illegal car."

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2009, 01:33:24 AM »
CorBon, thanks for the input.  I'm certainly open to more suggestions for "summer" carry.  During the winter I can conceal darn near anything with some added layers.  For the summer, I'm willing to modify the way I dress (some) and carrying my 9 or 40 I doubt is going to be a viable option -- for the summer at least. 

I've been looking to see if I could find some info on various holsters not necessarily for women, but more importantly what they're wearing and which holster they're wearing with it, etc.  Any input is certainly welcome from you guys!!  As for the calibre... well..   unless I can get something else in that size, .380 is what I'm leaning towards. 

I'm ok with some added bulk.  I just dont want it sticking out like a sore thumb. 

HELP!  :)

Moosie

CorBon

• Life Member
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2009, 10:44:43 AM »
There is the new-carry-phenomenon of wanting to carry the biggest gun that a person can carry.  So, you strap on your .454 Casull wheelgun, or HK91, and walk around for a while.  Everything is ducky – for a while.  Eventually you realize that strapping on that heavy thing is somewhat cumbersome, especially if you are only going to Home Depot (“hey, I’ve never been robbed before while picking up a box of screws, so maybe I don’t need this thing for this ONE trip”).  Eventually people start moving down in gun size and spare mags, and/or they stop carrying EVERY time they leave the house.

Our geographical location puts us in this mini-quandary every year.  In the winter I would find myself loaded down with my main weapon, spare mags for it, a back-up weapon, and a spare mag or speed-loader for it, a big knife, a flashlight, handcuffs, and maybe even something else (whatever other new toy that I had recently developed a fondness for).  Hell, I was reluctant to go near open bodies of water, for fear of falling in and drowning under the weight of all the stuff that I was carrying around.  As I hate the summer, in March I would attempt to free myself from wearing a coat, but found myself still wearing it until May to cover up my wearable-ready-bag.

Somewhere along the path from got-nothin’ to got-everything-including-a-cleaning-kit-on me – is where you have to draw the line.  I’ve carried from a .22 to a .44, and worn ankle, IWB, OWB, small of the back, behind the hip bone, pelvic, pocket, and shoulder holsters.  I’ve also carried off-person (in a baggie thing).  So, it really is a trial and error deal.  The main thing is to find something that you are comfortable with, both in size and caliber.  And something that you know that you will religiously carry, but also that will give you a fighting chance of getting out of the situation alive.

You never want to find yourself facing an attacker, saying “At home I have a belt-fed .50 BMG cut down for concealed carry,” with his response being “I have a knife that’s with me.”
Very few guns are actually "illegal guns."  A gun misappropriated by a criminal is no more of an "illegal gun" than a stolen car is an "illegal car."

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2009, 11:15:36 AM »
Yeah, I'm certainly not trying to carry the biggest baddest gun out there.  I'm also not planning on carrying it EVERY single time I leave the house.  But I am trying to find something that will work with my style of dress as well as fitting my body. 

You do bring up a good point though of lots of times folks start out loaded for bear and then eventually break it down and end up with a sling shot in their pocket LOL. 

Thanks, CorBon.  :)

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2009, 02:28:31 PM »
Moosie do they have a line of womans clothing made for ccw? If not maybe that could be something to look into.
" An armed society is a polite society"
I not sick, I'm twisted. Sick makes it sound like there's a cure.

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2009, 05:28:05 PM »
Yeah, I'm ready for my next investment... but between the patterning and sewing...  trust me.  Its a lot of work.  I deal with the space suit all day and that has lots of established patterns and sewers and theres still a million headaches with it. 

I'm thinking more along the lines of a womens holster line.  Hmmm... 

gun nut

• Life Member
  • this is my rifle and here is a pistol....
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2009, 08:54:49 PM »
Hay Moose look up the blue press it is Dillons catalogue they might have something that could work for you. Hope this helps out.
 G.nut

http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/home.html

here is the link
Gun control is hitting your target

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2009, 09:56:02 PM »
Thanks, Gun Nut.

Rabbit

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2009, 08:25:36 PM »
I have submitted my completed application with exception of the firearms safety course on June 15th. i have talked to everyone who i used as a reference and nobody has been contacted. I have yet to receive any letters, phone calls, emails, telegrams, strip-o-grams.... from the DOJ, The Prothonotary Office, The States Attorney office or even The Brady Campaign. How much longer should i wait till call to see if every this is OK with my application.

CorBon

• Life Member
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2009, 11:00:09 PM »
I have yet to receive any ... strip-o-grams....
Please post immediately when the strip-o-grams come.  We'll be right over.

As far as when you will hear from the State -- it really does take a while.  "Months" is a pretty realistic time-frame.

Also, check the Caller-ID regularly, just to make sure that there aren't any "State of Delaware" (or various abbreviations) on there.  A few years ago, my buddy didn't get the message that they had called, and then got a nasty letter.  When he called after the letter and told them that he never got the message, they said that he had an attitude, and denied the permit.  He had to go to court to appeal it -- and then got it.