Author Topic: VA Nonresident permit  (Read 5821 times)

hap_hazzard

VA Nonresident permit
« on: December 30, 2015, 10:34:35 PM »
I noticed a few members have the VA nr permit in the signature block.  Anyone have recent experience in the application process?  I just applied and was wondering what the timeline looked like.  There is some older info out there on the interwebs  :P but nothing recent concerning wait times other than references to a 45 day max (law?).  Fingers crossed as 1FEB16 will be upon us soon.  This makes it more fun working in VA as I have to stop and the MD border to clear and lock up my hardware when going back and forth from home and work.

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
Re: VA Nonresident permit
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2015, 11:38:58 PM »
Applied for mine in Oct of 2012 and received in late January. Over 90 days.   Non residents are issued by state police. I believe the 45 day is for residents.
DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.

29thInfantry

• Life Member
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2015, 12:00:26 AM »
I am a little confused on the requirements can we send in the training cert from the class we took here or do we have to do one of theirs? 
NRA Member
US Army Vet.
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
Child of God

Cbmarine

• Life Member
  • III Marine Amphib Corps. My dad’s shoulder patch
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2015, 01:07:53 AM »
I am a little confused on the requirements can we send in the training cert from the class we took here or do we have to do one of theirs?  

Four Options.  Paragraphs numbered 5 and 9 from handgunlaw.us
A. Yes if VA deems DE course as adequate
   9. Completing any other firearms training which the court deems adequate. $100. DE + PA + VA = 37 states

B. Or a DD214. If I am parsing the sentence correctly.
   5. Presenting evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition or current military service or proof of an honorable discharge from any branch of the armed services; $100. DE + PA + VA = 37 states

C. VA AG did not specify resident permits only but does recognize UT.
   1. Take a UT course. $65 + course fee.  DE + PA + UT = 38 states
   2. Already have UT non-resident. $0  DE + PA + UT = 38 states

D. Wait and see if VA Legislature over-rides AG Herring and Gov McAullife's veto.  May have spelled Gov's name incorrectly but I'm too DILLIGAS to look it up.  $0
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 01:10:39 AM by Cbmarine »
Just a smelly deplorable dreg of society clinging to God and guns.
New Castle County
_..  .  _._   _..  ..._ _  .  ._.

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2015, 10:13:46 AM »
Your NRA basic pistol class is good.  Actually Virginia allows on line training too. That is why Delaware dropped them in 2013. Remember that the court approval in Virginia is for residents. Non residents apply to the state police. 

Two bad things about Virginia:
The $100 cost
That renewals require fingerprinting again.
DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.

hap_hazzard

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2016, 11:07:18 PM »
thanks for the info.  I will keep the group updated with the timeline.

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2016, 12:50:14 AM »
Not giving them $100...
From the VA Non-Resident Permit page:
Exceptions to the Permit Requirement

A permit is not necessary in the following circumstances for lawfully qualified persons:
[...]
   Any person who may lawfully possess a firearm and is carrying a handgun while in a personal, private motor vehicle or vessel and such handgun is secured in a container or compartment in the vehicle or vessel.

While we're driving through Virginia (without spending money, of course, because f*** them), we can just secure our guns in our locking mini-safe.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

29thInfantry

• Life Member
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2016, 02:05:41 AM »
I will most likely be getting my UT permit as I travel to VA a couple times a month as I have family there.  I am waiting to see if they overturn the AG in VA

NRA Member
US Army Vet.
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
Child of God

hap_hazzard

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2016, 10:19:52 PM »
Update:  I received the va nonresident permit 11 weeks after filing the application. The issue date on the card is 16 March but I did not receive it until 1 April.  Of course it does not matter as Virginia made things right in the end. I suppose it is still good to have...

NormH3

• Life Member
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2016, 06:36:31 PM »
A little late to the party, but it's my understanding that the DC online test is acceptable as well. It's basically a 30 minute slide presentation and no test afterwards. You print/save the certificate afterwards.

https://dcfst.mpdconline.com/