General Gun Discussion > Rifles and Shotguns

How Old?

(1/3) > >>

trevor:
What would you consider the minimum allowable age for a child who is very interested in a .22 rifle to be allowed to fire one? Assuming the parent actively manages the weapon, and ensures the proper safety.  Are there relevant laws that set a minum age?

Radnor:

--- Quote from: trevor on October 24, 2009, 09:41:35 PM --- Assuming the parent actively manages the weapon, and ensures the proper safety.

--- End quote ---

FIREARM!!

I think the only LAW is under 16 MUST have adult supervision.  I supervise cub scouts (BB guns - 1st to 5th grade) and .22(s) for the older Boy Scouts. The BB guns for the wee ones are BSA rules.  If it were my son, I would have NO problem introducing a .22 there.  But, I would be his 2nd skin with supervision.

trevor:
oops. Firearm it is. :-[

deviant.ollam:

--- Quote from: trevor on November 04, 2009, 03:20:42 PM ---oops. Firearm it is. :-[
--- End quote ---
heh, yep... i used to be a little too loose with those terms, myself.  i appreciated my friends' comments of correction, too.

i got my first BB gun when i was 8, and my dad and i brought it to the shooting range where he had gone by himself up until that time.  i believe when i was 10 or 11 maybe he started introducing his .22 and eventually his .38 and .380 into the day's affairs.  it was still mostly my air gun, however, which i was more than happy with until about age 12.  (we could also easily set up the air gun in the basement with a self-made BB trap)

we still wen shooting at times as i grew up, but it actually wasn't until i was over 18 that i started trying out all sorts of other firearms at the range or with friends.  the first time he saw me handle a .45 he was pretty amazed... he had recalled it being quite a lot of gun back when he was in the service.  it was a pleasant surprise when he tried my 1911 out and stated, "man, i don't know why i remembered it as quite so unmanageable... i guess everything puts you a little on edge when you're just out of college on a tour of duty halfway around the world."

heh, now he's totally comfortable with .45 cal and higher.  i wonder if he'll make it out to Ft. Dix with me anytime and try out my M1A... and what sort of memories that might bring back, too... since that (or an M-14, rather) would have been his issue rifle when on post.

the others in this thread have said it best, really... how old is the right age for what firearm?  it mostly depends on the boy or girl in question.  you know your kids better than we do, and the real answer is tied to how responsible and comfortable they are.  while it's totally fine to get a group comparison in order to validate that you're not starting them "too young" one never need focus on others' kids and say "@@@@... why doesn't little Timmy like handling the 454 Casull... they tell me that Sarah down the block was taking down black bears with a handgun at his age and she had no problem."  ;)

trevor:
Thanks for your observations. Sounds like you and your Dad have a nice connection. My Dad died a couple years back, but we never shared that interest.

It's funny - I had my daughter at the range yesterday - she's 10- for an orientation trip. She doesn't know it, but there's a Marlin 795 coming her way this Christmas. (I also just took her to see 'A Christmas Story'...looking forward to playing the role of the Dad.) ;D

While we were there, there was a four year old working a Rossi with his Dad. My daughter said "How come I didn't get to come here when I was four!!?" So, she has the interest. I think she'll do well.

As an aside, I'm an IT auditor...and am enjoying your 'fly with a friend' video as I type this. Welcome to DE. I moved here 15 years ago from NYC...and never looked back.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version