Author Topic: PA CCW  (Read 3046 times)

Overheaddoor

PA CCW
« on: October 04, 2011, 02:54:49 AM »
Their reply to me "we are unable to process your application for a license to carry a firearm. The new law makes it necessary for the applicant to personally appear for processing.

An advisory was published on several web sites advising of the change in the law as well as notification that the cut off date for mail processing was March 31, 2011.

Your application was received well after the March 31st date and we can not process."

This was their response to me so I guess I have to take a ride tocentre County Sherriff's office

Moosie

• Life Member
Re: PA CCW
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 09:52:57 AM »
Overhead, you don't have to drive all the way to Centre County.  Lancaster county is closer, as well as a few others.  And yes...  you can no longer mail your PA CCW in. 

I thought we had posted that here?

Oh, and the visit to get your permit in PA takes about 20 mins.

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

mrjam2jab

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 04:37:56 PM »
It's not really a new "law"...it's a new process....and they haven't figured out how to get around it yet.  They take your pic which gets put into "the system"...and there is a digital signature pad part of the new computer system. 
I'm not a gun nut.  I'm a 2nd Amendment enthusiast.

Siludni

• Old-school citizen, Navy Vet, NRA Life, DSSA
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 07:30:04 PM »
Moosie,
     The "20 minutes" (and single visit) is for Lancaster County ONLY.   Most others require 2 visits and up to 45 "business" days for
processing a PA non-resident application.  That is the State requirement. Just as some counties choose to go with 45 business days, vice 45 calendar days
(state law does not define that), Lancaster County has chosen to streamline the process, while remaining within the intent/letter of PA law. As long as
they fulfill the state's minimum legal requirements, the Sheriff can justify whatever tweaking they do to improve constituent's experience with the office.
     Another forum member wrote, earlier, that his Lancaster visit was about an hour and a half.  I guess it varies by time of day, day of week or day of
month as to your individual elapsed time.
     This is strictly my opinion. I am not a spokesperson for the Lancaster Sheriff's Office. Each individual applicant should contact the County Sheriff of their choice, or visit their websites. All of them outline their policies and procedures, if you research the matter. Just so we are all on the same page.
www.PAFOA.org is a real good resource, county by county. 
      Thanks for your time.      Regards !
"How strange is youth! You are not ashamed to be a fool, but are ashamed to admit having been one, when admitting it will make you a wise man again!"
                                                                                        Daniel Defoe

mrjam2jab

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 07:47:33 PM »
Moosie,
     The "20 minutes" (and single visit) is for Lancaster County ONLY.   Most others require 2 visits and up to 45 "business" days for
processing a PA non-resident application.  That is the State requirement. Just as some counties choose to go with 45 business days, vice 45 calendar days
(state law does not define that), Lancaster County has chosen to streamline the process, while remaining within the intent/letter of PA law. As long as
they fulfill the state's minimum legal requirements, the Sheriff can justify whatever tweaking they do to improve constituent's experience with the office.
     Another forum member wrote, earlier, that his Lancaster visit was about an hour and a half.  I guess it varies by time of day, day of week or day of
month as to your individual elapsed time.
     This is strictly my opinion. I am not a spokesperson for the Lancaster Sheriff's Office. Each individual applicant should contact the County Sheriff of their choice, or visit their websites. All of them outline their policies and procedures, if you research the matter. Just so we are all on the same page.
www.PAFOA.org is a real good resource, county by county.  
      Thanks for your time.      Regards !

Actually quite a few...unfortunately not all... have in and out service.  The 45 days is the maximum amount of time a sheriff may take...the statute does define a day as 24 hour period, so any sheriff using "business days" is doing so incorrectly.  

PA Definitions
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 07:55:11 PM by mrjam2jab »
I'm not a gun nut.  I'm a 2nd Amendment enthusiast.

Siludni

• Old-school citizen, Navy Vet, NRA Life, DSSA
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 03:59:52 PM »
MrJ2J,
      I stand corrected. You are more familiar with the subject than I.
                        Regards!

PS   Was there a problem posting in the past week?   I could not do so for about 3 days.
"How strange is youth! You are not ashamed to be a fool, but are ashamed to admit having been one, when admitting it will make you a wise man again!"
                                                                                        Daniel Defoe