Author Topic: President Barack Obama -- "We must seek agreement on gun reforms"  (Read 11122 times)

GunEnvy

• Life Member
  • NRA Life Member
Honey I swear I've had that gun for years!

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
Re: President Barack Obama -- "We must seek agreement on gun reforms"
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2011, 11:46:58 PM »
The Obamasiah is trying to pander to both sides. He is once again voting "present."  The one glaring fact that his "common sense" ideas is overlooking is that the bad guys have no intention of obeying any gun laws whatsoever. The BG's will ALWAYS find a way to get a gun.  If he, or anybody for that matter, can tell me how to make the BG's actually obey a gun law then I will gladly listen.

Don't forget that all the while he is preaching "common sense" his ATF bullied and coerced gun store owners in border states to allow questionable sales to go through so that they could follow the guns into Mexico. One of those guns was used in the killing of an Border Patrol agent.  Is that the common sense you are looking for?

http://deccw.com/index.php?topic=1050.0

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2011, 12:09:42 AM »
I wish there was a "LIKE" button on here, Hawkeye... :)

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2011, 12:47:47 AM »
I wish there was a "LIKE" button on here, Hawkeye... :)

Moosie

There is, you just used it ;)

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2011, 10:42:25 PM »
Reply from Senator Carper's office regarding President Obama's choice to head the BATFE:

Thank you for contacting me to express your concern about the nomination of Andrew Traver as director of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives. I appreciate hearing your thoughts on this important matter.  

As you know, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) is a federal law enforcement organization that regulates firearm commerce and explosives in the United States as well as investigates and prevents illegal drug and alcohol trafficking.  On November 15, 2010, President Barack Obama nominated Andrew Traver to be the director of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives. Mr. Traver would replace the current Acting Director, Kenneth Melson, who started his appointment on April 12, 2002.  If confirmed by the Senate, Mr. Traver would oversee all investigations of illegal use and trafficking of explosives, firearms, drugs, and alcohol for the ATF.  

As a former governor, I respect the right, in most instances, of our current Chief Executive, and his predecessors, to surround themselves with cabinet members that they believe will best serve their administrations and our country.  When I was privileged to serve for eight years as Delaware's chief executive, I nominated numerous individuals to cabinet positions.  During those years, I consistently asked the Senate to give me the benefit of the doubt on nominations so that I could surround myself with the leadership team that I felt would best enable me to keep my commitments to the people of Delaware who elected me.  Now, as a United States Senator, it is my responsibility to carefully consider each nomination by our Chief Executive and to decide whether or not I should consent to those appointments. 

Having said that, I take seriously my obligation to provide advice and consent on the president's cabinet-level appointments.  In considering these appointments, I use criteria that I developed as governor.  I look for the nominee to have the following attributes:

o a sound moral character

o a strong work ethic

o be a consensus builder

o a complete knowledge of the law

o knowledge and experience in the area of appointment

o the ability to make difficult decisions with sound reasoning

With that said, I have heard from a number of people, like you, who have concerns about Mr. Traver's nomination.  Those in opposition to his nomination believe that his views on gun control could chip away at their Second Amendment right to bear arms.  They also believe that someone with such strong anti-gun views should not be the head of an enforcement agency that has control over firearms.  On the other hand, supporters of Mr. Traver's nomination believe that he is well qualified for this position because he has extensive experience directing ATF law enforcement programs.  As you may know, he has been the Special Agent in Charge of the Chicago, Illinois Field Division of the ATF since 2004. Prior to that appointment, he served as Assistant Special Agent in Charge for the San Francisco, California Field Division of the ATF as well as the Assistant Special Agent in Charge for the New Orleans, Louisiana Field Division of ATF. 

I have been a supporter of the Second Amendment and the rights of law-abiding citizens to buy and own guns.  My father was a gun collector for much of his life and I am a gun owner myself.  Please be assured that should I have the chance to consider his confirmation before the full Senate, I will certainly keep your views in mind.  Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future about other matters of importance to you.  

With best personal regards, I am

Sincerely,

Tom Carper
United States Senator
New Castle County

GunEnvy

• Life Member
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2011, 01:38:01 PM »
Is it just me or......huh!?!  ???
Honey I swear I've had that gun for years!

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2011, 06:14:23 PM »
Wow let me get my hip wader's cause the shits getting deep.
" An armed society is a polite society"
I not sick, I'm twisted. Sick makes it sound like there's a cure.

muleman88

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2011, 09:07:56 PM »
Im with moosie. If their lips are moving their full of s%!t!  All politicians give bs answers , and broad speeches that way they cant be pinned to something they say.  Even the ones I like ( kinda) do the same thing.

ellington

« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2011, 03:06:50 AM »
I'm very encouraged by this thread. I haven't read any of the normal liberal vs. conservative debate that is so silly to me. So far, this has been a reasonable discussion between reasonable people with well thought out views. This is a nice break from the threads that I've read on other forums and from the anonymous comments that I read regarding online articles. These are the kinds of discussion that we should be having. As soon as I read something like "all liberals are vegetarians who won't fight" or "all conservatives are racist religious freaks" I walk away. Thank you deccw.com!
"Don't pull the thang out unless you plan to bang. Don't even bang unless you plan to hit something." Andre 3000

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2011, 11:06:22 AM »
All liberals are vegetarians who won't fight! 

LOL, just kidding.  Ellington, I agree.  We don't always agree, but a discussion about the different points of view are refreshing.  :) 

I'm wondering if Carper's aide's wrote that letter while they were high? I've read it a few times trying to follow it and it seems to be a standard BS letter.  Wow, imagine that.  A politician attempting to BS the public.   :-\

GunEnvy, I have to say that you said what I was thinking but failed to type.  I don't think Obama has any intention of HELPING gun owners keep or improve their 2nd Ammendment rights. I saw nothing on the surface of these proposed bills, but why would he change horses in mid stream and support the 2nd Ammendment?

If any of you are not members of the NRA, I encourage you to join if for no other reason than to read their publication 1st Freedom.  It routinely covers what politicians are attempting to pull on citizens and exposes the bait and switch that is so often written into legislation. 

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2011, 10:25:38 PM »
I truly thought we would be facing this battle a lot sooner. I think the NRA and gun owners came out swinging and the Obama Administration was NOT prepared for the backlash, with that being said right now gun owners all over the US have a very big black eye and Obama has all the ammo he needs (No pun intended) When the shootings in Arizona happened it could have been a better perfect storm for the Obama Administration. First Arizona as we all know is a very pro gun state, Second the shoot had mental issues and third of all @@@@ people to shoot but a US Senator. Like I said perfect anti gun scenario
" An armed society is a polite society"
I not sick, I'm twisted. Sick makes it sound like there's a cure.

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2011, 12:56:25 AM »
This is a peaceful, intelligent discussion.
I usually avoid online political discussions, because my views are so far to the Left that it's difficult to air them peacefully anywhere to the right of DailyKos.

However, in this forum, I'll spare you my usual "tax the rich, feed the poor, till there are no rich no more" song lyrics, and instead point this out:

If Obama had any plans to pass laws restricting the RKBA, he would have done it while the Democrats still held both houses of Congress.

Besides, my own opinion of the Obama administration -- which many on the left share -- is that they can't pass gas, let alone legislation.

Even if Obama decided to pass magazine capacity restrictions, they would be so watered down that only 33+ round mags manufactured after 2015 by left-handed Albanian women without moustaches would be banned.
(Apologies in advance to any left-handed Albanian women on the forum).
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

ellington

« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2011, 01:30:52 AM »
This is a peaceful, intelligent discussion.
I usually avoid online political discussions, because my views are so far to the Left that it's difficult to air them peacefully anywhere to the right of DailyKos.

However, in this forum, I'll spare you my usual "tax the rich, feed the poor, till there are no rich no more" song lyrics, and instead point this out:

If Obama had any plans to pass laws restricting the RKBA, he would have done it while the Democrats still held both houses of Congress.

Besides, my own opinion of the Obama administration -- which many on the left share -- is that they can't pass gas, let alone legislation.

Even if Obama decided to pass magazine capacity restrictions, they would be so watered down that only 33+ round mags manufactured after 2015 by left-handed Albanian women without moustaches would be banned.
(Apologies in advance to any left-handed Albanian women on the forum).

EXACTLY!!!
"Don't pull the thang out unless you plan to bang. Don't even bang unless you plan to hit something." Andre 3000

CorBon

• Life Member
  • The Revolution starts in your heart...
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2011, 02:05:23 AM »

Here's the deal, it wasn't just hard-line Democrats and far-left-leaning liberals that voted for Obama, there were many in the middle, and maybe some right of the middle.  He is going to play this as close to the center as he can -- UNTIL HE GETS A SECOND TERM AND BECOMES A LAME DUCK.  He is not pro-second amendment -- this is an established FACT.

Obama knows how to read, and has many advisors that will be glad to tell him that one of Bubba's biggest mistakes was his head-on attack of the second amendment (via the assault rifle ban).  The O-man isn't going to make that mistake.

To think that he has any pro-gun thoughts in his head is -- insane, at best.           

Opposed bill okaying illegal gun use in home invasions. (Aug 2008)
Ok for states & cities to determine local gun laws. (Apr 2008)
FactCheck: Yes, Obama endorsed Illinois handgun ban. (Apr 2008)
April 2008: "Bittergate" labeled Obama elitist. (Apr 2008)
Respect 2nd Amendment, but local gun bans ok. (Feb 2008)
Provide some common-sense enforcement on gun licensing. (Jan 2008)
2000: cosponsored bill to limit purchases to 1 gun per month. (Oct 2007)
Concealed carry OK for retired police officers. (Aug 2007)
Stop unscrupulous gun dealers dumping guns in cities. (Jul 2007)
Keep guns out of inner cities--but also problem of morality. (Oct 2006)
Bush erred in failing to renew assault weapons ban. (Oct 2004)
Ban semi-automatics, and more possession restrictions. (Jul 1998)
Voted NO on prohibiting lawsuits against gun manufacturers. (Jul 2005)
http://www.ontheissues.org/barack_obama.htm

Obama's gun control votes and statements made before his presidential run also indicate a candidate hostile to the Second Amendment as defined by the Supreme Court in D.C. v. Heller. He has publicly declared:
he was in favor of local law suits against gun manufacturers,
he supports for prohibiting gun shops within five miles of any school,
he is against concealed carry by law abiding citizens,
he favors one gun a month laws,
he favors ‘assault weapons bans’,
he has favored a ban on all semiautomatic firearms,
he favors limits on handgun ammunition,
he favors limits on 'assault weapon' ammunition,
he believes that state and local entities should be able to implement their own gun control,
and last month stated he would not have enough votes to start gun confiscations.
http://www.sportsmenforobama.org/

There's tons of this stuff out there.  He may be a nice guy, he may be an eloquent speaker, he may have even thought that fixing our screwed-up country was going to be easy -- but he is no friend of the gun.
Very few guns are actually "illegal guns."  A gun misappropriated by a criminal is no more of an "illegal gun" than a stolen car is an "illegal car."