Author Topic: Traffic Accident/LEO encounter  (Read 3046 times)

hap_hazzard

Traffic Accident/LEO encounter
« on: December 08, 2015, 03:19:06 PM »
Good Morning All,

Sunday morning my teenage son and I were involved in a pretty bad accident.  Luckily, no parties sustained injuries though my son got his first and hopefully last ride in the back of an ambulance. 
     We were headed home from camping in a state park (gun free zone), I left my hardware at home.  When the officer responded and engaged me, I did identify myself as a permit holder and told him I was unarmed.  In that instance, I was still in a bit of shock.  My thinking at the time was that when he ran my identity the ccw would pop and it could create an unnecessary problem. The young officer was very polite and appreciative of the disclosure.  On the ride to the hospital to meet my son, we talked a bit about ccw and he seemed annoyed that I was not carrying until I explained about the state park rules --- he thought it was total BS.  At the hospital, he checked in on my son and even answered a few of his questions about the officers hardware. 
     I am not sure if I had to identify the permit or not in that situation -- please chime in on the topic.  Given my state of mind, Airbags deploying, car totally spun around -- I felt it was the best way to go

29thInfantry

• Life Member
Re: Traffic Accident/LEO encounter
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2015, 03:38:06 PM »
Here is a link that is helpful even though I always advise that you check the state laws in the state you will be traveling. 

http://concealednation.org/2015/07/do-you-have-a-duty-to-inform-when-carrying-concealed-we-look-at-all-50-states-for-the-answers/

Good to hear everyone is ok the car can be replaced but a Loved one cannot. 
NRA Member
US Army Vet.
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
Child of God

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2015, 09:47:32 PM »
I have it from several sources in and out of law enforcement that Delaware CCW license will NOT show up on a traffic stop.  

Have have seen both sides of this issue.  

My opinion is that I would not mention it unless I was asked to get out of the vehicle. In that case I would indicate first that I had a license and then inform the officer that I was carrying and with my hands visible tell them where it is. If they choose to disarm me, I have no problem with that.

Police have a tough job and I am not one to make it harder. 

Immediately notifying of  the presence of a weapon unless legally required could get ugly.  
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 09:50:08 PM by Clarence »
DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.

Tonym

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2015, 10:20:14 PM »
Every time ive ever been pulled over the first thing out of the cops mouth is if i have and guns drugs or weapons in the car. I havent been pulled over since getting my permit, but im really not sure if im allowed to lie to that question lol

29thInfantry

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2015, 02:38:28 AM »
Every time ive ever been pulled over the first thing out of the cops mouth is if i have and guns drugs or weapons in the car. I havent been pulled over since getting my permit, but im really not sure if im allowed to lie to that question lol

If asked you must say yes if you are carrying from my understanding.
NRA Member
US Army Vet.
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
Child of God

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2015, 09:59:17 AM »
Do NOT lie to a LEO... Its a bad path for you if you are caught!

I'm with Clarence.. If pulled over, provide your drivers license, registration and insurance. Delaware does not require you to state you have a CCDW permit or firearm unless asked. Out of respect and clarity I will remove any sunglasses and hats and keep my hands in clear view.. usually on the steering wheel. Stay relaxed and polite.

If you are asked to exit the vehicle OR asked if you are in possession of a firearm.... State that you are a CCDW Permit holder **and then** state that you are armed. Ask the officer how he/she would like you to proceed.

As our course instructor explained.. you don't know if the officer is pro or anti 2A. If you volunteer the information to an anti 2A officer they can detain you there for up to 2 hours! Yes! Delaware actually has a law allowing an officer to do this.  ???

I've been pulled over a few times in DE though never ticketed or anything.. I have never been asked about firearms.