Author Topic: A 1851 Cap & Ball is a nice gift!  (Read 5956 times)

Obleo

• Life Member
A 1851 Cap & Ball is a nice gift!
« on: May 29, 2012, 04:05:39 PM »
My loving bride of 30 yrs ordered a replica 1851 Colt Navy .44 cap & ball for me.  When I told her what she bought me I heard a lot of static but I told her it would be rude to send back a gift.  Actually, it's not even possible to "spend money we don't have". Well OK, I quess it is.

Nontheless, I am so looking forward to launching some balls down range!
Proud resident of Kent County DE

Capnball

Re: A 1851 Cap & Ball is a nice gift!
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 12:55:32 PM »
Congrats on the new addition to the homestead. Being a die-hard fan of the muzzleloading era, I too would have considered an 1851 Colt to be a great gift. If you need some help with the care and feeding of the new addition to your stable, I'd be happy to make some suggestions. Go forth, make much smoke, and enjoy!

Bmel17

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 04:12:53 PM »
I got one of these years ago.  I have fired it once! It was a lot of fun and def something I'd like to try again when I have some time this Summer

Obleo

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 04:46:39 PM »
Going to fill the "possibles" pouch this weekend.  I'll just have to eat the ridiculous prices around here.

I noticed there are tons of aftermarket products that tend to drive the price-per-round too high to be reasonable.  Some years ago I put hundreds of shots through a replica 44 and never used grease, patches, patches with lube, cap setters, nipple wrenches, picks, stands, powder flasks, bullet pullers or loading tables.

Please tell me the very simplicity of BP has not been lost in all this!

Just Bill

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012, 02:10:44 PM »
Have an 1858 Remington.  Lots of fun, could make an interesting open carry gun??????  DO follow all the steps in loading, especially sealing the cylinder tops w/grease.  I didn't and had a chain fire once and it was scary.  Fortunately, it did not reach the bottom hole, or I might have a harder time typing this.
NRA Cert. Instructor Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun
NRA Lifer
NRA RSO
DE/PA CCDW permits
AGI certified gunsmith--Cowboy Action/1911/Glock/rifle/pistol/shotgun/rimfire
AGI Firearms Appraiser/FFL 01
AGI certified Master Gunsmith

Capnball

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 02:13:18 AM »
Loading stands for cap n' ball revolvers can be made from 1 X 4 pine lumber cheaply. I have a design that I used to sell some years ago which I called "The Trough". You can strap the revolver in it tightly with a leather strap, load the "trough" with your caps, balls and a flask with a small measure and carry the whole thing to the range with one hand. I do recommend grease on top of the loaded chambers highly, as chain-ignition is a messy and scary business. The .36 or .44 wonder wads are easier to use and take up some space forcing the ball forward in the chamber so you have to reduce your powder charge slightly but, it isn't enough to make a noticeable difference. The only issue with the wads is the price. Some folks use a punch and punch out cylinder size wads from heavy card like you would find on the back of a writing pad. This works but finding the right size paper punch isn't. Many had to make their own punch. We blackpowder fans are found of making as much of our own stuff as we can to keep down the costs, but it does present some challenges. 

Obleo

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 01:47:35 PM »
It turns out that making your own loaders, flasks, measures and wrenches is not just a hobby.  When I attempted to fill my “possibles” bag I found that I underestimated the cost of everything!  When you break down the cost per round downrange the problem becomes very clear.

Round balls weigh-in at 2lbs per 100 and shipping rates are just brilliant right now.  Powder is still pretty cheap unless it’s ordered on the intertubes.  Then the hazmat rate kicks in.  I figure the cost per round is somewhere around 40 cents per.  I might as well be firing .357 mags at that price.

So, I’m looking for scrap lead and plan to mix my own powder.  And, of course, I’m planning to cut my own wads.  I suspect that there’s a fine line between pride and frustration in the BP community.

firedawg11

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 04:38:09 PM »
If it's a steel frame you can get a conversion cylinder to shoot cartridges.  I have a 58 Remmie that shoots 45 Colt. 
Be polite with all, but intimate with few; and let those few be well tried before giving them your confidence.
~ George Washington

Obleo

• Life Member
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2012, 11:21:27 PM »
Just Bill:  I constantly think about open carrying this beast.  I figure it would attract a ton of conversation and may even lessen the common concern some have about firearms in public.  Hopefully a situation will come up where I can display this hog leg as a sidearm.  I’m still shy about open carry.

Capnball:  I hear your advice about greasing the cylinder ends.  I have experienced a cook-off with a previous .44  (30 yrs ago). I plan on making a loading rack soon and as soon as I get my Pyrodex from PA (free shipping if its in store pick-up) I’ll be launching some lead.

firedawg11:  I didn’t get the steel frame so I’m just going to have to live between 1851 and 1876.  But I’m totally stoked about busting these caps!