Author Topic: New to DE  (Read 8336 times)

Dan

New to DE
« on: December 30, 2014, 11:37:38 PM »
Hello all,

I am new to DE and need a bit of info. I am in Dover and need a good place to shoot (mainly pistol). Shooters Choice seems okay if you have a membership, but expensive if you don't (I will get a membership eventually). Is there any other public range around that may be more reasonably priced? I don't mind driving a bit.

seniorgeek

• Life Member
Re: New to DE
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 06:42:41 PM »
I am a member of the Bridgeville Rifle and Pistol club. Check it out.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NRA Member
Combat Veteran
Southeastern Sussex County

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 10:38:42 PM »
Nothing within 20-25 miles.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 12:51:25 PM »
Since you dont mind driving a bit....  Could check out Delaware State Pistol Club. 
And since you said you're a pistol shooter, check out Action Pistol on Monday nights.
dspclub.org
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

Dan

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 03:24:02 AM »
Thank you all for the replies. I think I decided to buy a membership for Shooter's Choice, but I will certainly check out the others too.

Obleo

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 12:21:58 PM »
I was a member of Shooters Choice for 3 years.  There are more benefits than range fees but only if you shoot a bunch.  When my range time decreased it was no longer feasible.

One problem with Shooter's Choice is they know they are the only range around and they act like it.  Their mark up on firearms and accessories is substantial.  For firearms purchases I strongly recommend Federal Firearms who posts here.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 12:25:41 PM by Obleo »
Proud resident of Kent County DE

VWpilot

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2015, 04:40:01 PM »
I am a member of the Bridgeville Rifle and Pistol club. Check it out.

Same here. I've been a member for several years. The range meets my training needs very well. Minimal yearly fee also, IMO. Good luck. Stay safe ~ Rob.
NRA Life Member

I prefer to be an armed survivor rather than an obedient corpse.

"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Federal Firearm

• Life Member
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2015, 06:54:21 PM »
others to consider is alexanders...not sure as to current status?
and elk's neck state park..$50 per year....outdoor...bring your own target stands...

Kilroy08

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2015, 08:33:32 PM »
The only down side to Elk Neck is it's in Maryland. If you have any politically incorrect toys, they have to stay home.

On a positive note, Chris at Federal Firearms is THE gentleman to work with for any upcoming purchases you have planned.

Ommelanden is the state run range out on Route 9 in New Castle. They have trap and a nice pistol range.

Dan

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2015, 07:53:34 PM »
So I've been shooting at Shooter's Choice and it's hit or miss if they are friendly or not, but it's a place to shoot.

I actually have another question. I have a Texas concealed license, but am currently living in DE since I am military. Am I still good to carry with my Texas concealed handgun license and Texas DL? The applicable law reference would be appreciated. I've been told by an FFL I am good to go, but he does not teach CHL courses so I just want to double check. I know a similar question is probably out there, but I couldn't find it.

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2015, 08:04:03 PM »
So I've been shooting at Shooter's Choice and it's hit or miss if they are friendly or not, but it's a place to shoot.

I actually have another question. I have a Texas concealed license, but am currently living in DE since I am military. Am I still good to carry with my Texas concealed handgun license and Texas DL? The applicable law reference would be appreciated. I've been told by an FFL I am good to go, but he does not teach CHL courses so I just want to double check. I know a similar question is probably out there, but I couldn't find it.

The question boils down to: what state is your driver's license from?
If it's a Texas DL, you should be OK. If you have a Delaware driver's license, you would need a Delaware CCDW to carry here.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

joep19934

• Life Member
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2015, 10:34:02 PM »

I would think you're good to go since you are Active Military and not a Delaware resident !

http://attorneygeneral.delaware.gov/criminal/concealedweapons.shtml
Persons who have a concealed deadly weapons license or permit issued by one of the states listed above will be able to lawfully possess a concealed deadly weapon while visiting or traveling through Delaware. However, such persons will be subject to and are responsible for knowing and obeying all of Delaware's laws and regulations that apply to the carrying and possession of concealed or openly-carried deadly weapons

http://www.dmv.de.gov/services/driver_services/drivers_license/dr_lic_gen_req.shtml
Exemptions From Holding A Delaware Driver's License
1.Individuals while driving or operating a road roller, road machinery or farm tractor or implement of husbandry temporarily on a highway.
2.Non-resident operators, over the age of sixteen (16) years, currently licensed in their home state or country. The license must be in the driver's possession.
3.Members of the Armed Forces of the United States who are serving on active duty and any dependent of the member if they possess a valid driver license from their state of domicile.

Oh and Thank you for your Service !
18 Day Turnaround
Kent County
NRA Member
DE/PA CCDW permits
BRIDGEVILLE RIFLE & PISTOL CLUB Member
Delaware State Sportsman's Association