Author Topic: Senate is now considering the National Defense Authorization Act S. 1390  (Read 9491 times)

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
The U.S. Senate is now considering the National Defense Authorization Act (S. 1390).  As a part of the consideration of that legislation, Senators John Thune (R-SD) and David Vitter (R-LA) will offer an amendment on Monday to provide for interstate recognition of Right-to-Carry permits.  There is a very high likelihood of a Senate floor vote on this important and timely pro-gun reform on Monday or Tuesday.

While the right to possess firearms for self-defense within the home has long been respected under the law, for most of our nation's history, state and local governments have prohibited ordinary citizens from possessing firearms for self-defense in many settings outside the home.  Recently, however, most state legislatures have taken steps to reduce those restrictions.  In the last twenty years, the number of states that respect the right to carry has risen from 10 to 40 -- an all-time high. 

Click here to vote in this week's poll. 
Joint Statement On Judge Sotomayor's Nomination To The U.S. Supreme Court-By NRA Executive Vice President Wayne LaPierre, and NRA-ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox:  Other than declaring war, neither house of Congress has a more solemn responsibility than the Senate's role in confirming justices to the U.S. Supreme Court. As the Senate considers the nomination of Judge Sonia Sotomayor, Americans have been watching to see whether this nominee - if confirmed - would respect the Second Amendment or side with those who have declared war on the rights of America's 80 million gun owners.

From the outset, the National Rifle Association has respected the confirmation process and hoped for mainstream answers to bedrock questions.  Unfortunately, Judge Sotomayor's judicial record and testimony clearly demonstrate a hostile view of the Second Amendment and the fundamental right of self-defense guaranteed under the U.S. Constitution. 

Pending Federal Legislation Needs Your Support:  There are a number of pro-gun bills pending in Congress that require your attention and action.  Please review these legislative initiatives and be sure to contact your U.S. Representative at (202) 225-3121, and your U.S. Senators at (202) 224-3121, and urge them to cosponsor and support these measures.  Additional contact information can be found using the "Write Your Representatives" feature at www.NRAILA.org.
" An armed society is a polite society"
I not sick, I'm twisted. Sick makes it sound like there's a cure.

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
I am not holdilng my breath on this one but it would be great if it makes it.  The arguement that makes this interesting is whether or not the state has the right to dictate gun policy or the federal government.  Alaska and Montana recently enacted laws stating that guns made, sold, and maintained within the state do not fall under federal laws since the guns are not going past state bounderies.  The ATF responded with letters informing those states that the federal government does in fact have jurisdiction over all guns.  You cannot have it both ways.  If the federal government has jurisdiction over guns laws, as the ATF claims, then the federal government should also have the ability to declare that states respect all legal CCW's regardless of the state of origin.

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County

GunEnvy

• Life Member
  • NRA Life Member
It will be interesting to see if this passes and gets signed how quickly it gets challenged and whether Califonia, Jersey, or New Hampshire fights it first.
Honey I swear I've had that gun for years!

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
I think I'm not going to hold my breath, but I look at it as all states recognize each others drivers license and more people are killed every year with cars so why not recognize all states right to carry permits.
" An armed society is a polite society"
I not sick, I'm twisted. Sick makes it sound like there's a cure.