Author Topic: What are your thoughts on this?  (Read 4518 times)

VintageZodiacs

What are your thoughts on this?
« on: January 06, 2014, 03:14:40 PM »
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/01/05/guns-ammo-columnist-speaks-out-on-becoming-pariah/

I am going to throw this out here and see how it goes. So, this means we need no new gun legislation at all? No additional training need for concealed carry? No mental health check enhancements required? Does the current "give them and inch and they'll take a mile" mentality really belong in today's society?

Please do not assume where I stand, I am asking for your thoughts here.

Admin: If there is a better place for this topic please move it there.

fdegree

Re: What are your thoughts on this?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 04:27:30 PM »
no new gun legislation at all?
That's a difficult one to answer.  Though, there are certainly a lot of laws already out there, and they are not stopping the criminals.  Perhaps my observation is distorted, but it seems, the more we regulate gun usage, and categorize criminals as victims and victims as criminals, the worse society gets.  It just seems upside down to me, and no new gun legislation is going to fix it.

No additional training need for concealed carry?
Personally, I'm not opposed to training for concealed carry.  There are more and more people out there that want their CCW, but have never held a firearm.  They need some kind of training before placing a gun in their pocket.

No mental health check enhancements required?
I agree that mentally unstable people should not have access to firearms.  But, what constitutes mentally unstable?  Mental health checks sound good on the surface, and if it were controlled in such a way that reasonable people would expect it to be, it might be fine.  But, how do you stop some anti-gun supporter, from saying "anyone that is pro-gun, or owns a gun, is mentally unstable".  I would be willing to bet, if such a bill is passed, eventually, some anti-gun group will try to categorize gun owners as mentally ill.  Perhaps I'm being overly paranoid, but I fear someone will distort the intent of this type of legislation.

Does the current "give them and inch and they'll take a mile" mentality really belong in today's society?
Yes.  Watch what the anti-gunners are doing.  50 years ago, you could order guns through the mail, or even go into Sears and buy whatever you wanted.  I was recently told by a Maryland resident that they need a permit in order buy a gun now, and wait 7 days for the government to approve the sale (I can't verify the accuracy of this though).  That is the anti-gunners game plan...chip away at it, little-by-little until it is all gone.  ANY bill that is passed into law (even one restricting the mentally ill) will simply be another victory for the anti's, and eventually result in more gun control of law abiding citizens.
Violence, when there is an alternative, is immoral.
Violence, when there is no alternative, is survival.
-Unknown-

A battle avoided cannot be lost.
-Sun Tzu-

Cbmarine

• Life Member
  • III Marine Amphib Corps. My dad’s shoulder patch
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 05:49:00 PM »
...Perhaps my observation is distorted, but it seems, the more we regulate gun usage, and categorize criminals as victims and victims as criminals, the worse society gets.  It just seems upside down to me, and no new gun legislation is going to fix it.
Making laws is a catch-up game.  The root cause is moral and spiritual.  A society with moral and spiritual roots is less likely to commit offenses.

Personally, I'm not opposed to training for concealed carry.  There are more and more people out there that want their CCW, but have never held a firearm.  They need some kind of training before placing a gun in their pocket.
The 2nd Amendment includes "militia".  My inference is that RKBA includes firearms proficiency since you may be needed in the 18th century militia. If you have the proficiency, you shouldn't complain if you are asked to demonstrate it.

I agree that mentally unstable people should not have access to firearms.  But, what constitutes mentally unstable?  Mental health checks sound good on the surface, and if it were controlled in such a way that reasonable people would expect it to be, it might be fine.  But, how do you stop some anti-gun supporter, from saying "anyone that is pro-gun, or owns a gun, is mentally unstable".  I would be willing to bet, if such a bill is passed, eventually, some anti-gun group will try to categorize gun owners as mentally ill.  Perhaps I'm being overly paranoid, but I fear someone will distort the intent of this type of legislation.
Damned if you do, damned if you don't. A blanket opposition to any gun law can eventually get us run over by a Sandy Hook type avalanche. Passing a law has consequences, unintended and intended.  We need wisdom to discern. Although HB 88 doesn't allow this, the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg Public School of Health report, dated 12/2/2013, has this little gem on Page 8 in 3.1.
"Authorize law enforcement to remove guns from any individual who imposes an immediate threat of harm to self or others... In an emergency situation, this authority can be exercised without a warrant."
Wow, we need to preempt this "reasoning".
Just a smelly deplorable dreg of society clinging to God and guns.
New Castle County
_..  .  _._   _..  ..._ _  .  ._.

JOET

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 08:23:01 PM »
http://www.ironwordranch.com/

Anyone who has not read this Chapter in this book, now might be a good time..

Your thoughts?
New Castle County

fdegree

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 11:51:35 PM »
http://www.ironwordranch.com/

Anyone who has not read this Chapter in this book, now might be a good time..

Your thoughts?

It's kind of a long read...while I'm still processing it, here is my favorite quote, so far:

Only when the custom of carrying a gun once again achieves its deserved high level of social legitimacy and political priority will this country get back on the track of respect for human freedom and dignity that has set it apart from the rest of the world for two centuries.
Violence, when there is an alternative, is immoral.
Violence, when there is no alternative, is survival.
-Unknown-

A battle avoided cannot be lost.
-Sun Tzu-

JOET

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 12:42:26 AM »
fdegree :you have picked out a very noble quote from the chapter and just maybe as a country, we can get back to our founding.

For it is our Social Obligation to carry.
New Castle County

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 12:47:11 AM »
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/01/05/guns-ammo-columnist-speaks-out-on-becoming-pariah/

I am going to throw this out here and see how it goes. So, this means we need no new gun legislation at all? No additional training need for concealed carry? No mental health check enhancements required? Does the current "give them and inch and they'll take a mile" mentality really belong in today's society?

Please do not assume where I stand, I am asking for your thoughts here.

Admin: If there is a better place for this topic please move it there.

We need to understand that the right to keep and bear arms is a God given right.  It is our right and moral duty to defend our families and ourselves.

Because this right is not "given" by government. It cannot be taken away.    Governments can and do trample on an fail to recognize this right but the right still is ours

Training is great, but mandatory training is an infringement on a right

Now this being said, abusing this right can and should be punished but the right to defend oneself and ones loved ones is sacrosanct
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 12:49:05 AM by Clarence »
DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.

seniorgeek

• Life Member
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 03:31:56 PM »

Now this being said, abusing this right can and should be punished but the right to defend oneself and ones loved ones is sacrosanct
[/quote]

Totally agree.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NRA Member
Combat Veteran
Southeastern Sussex County

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2014, 12:03:28 AM »
Give them an inch and they push for a mile?

Ill just say this. See brown v board of education and the civil rights act. The true intention was equal rights for all not special rights for some ( what we have gotten is a special rights for some if you are intelligent enough to see it and some are not. )

Regardless of where people stand on homosexuality or sexually challenged marriage the same thing holds true. We allowed civil unions and many who voted for it said "This does not serve as a stepping stone for same sex marriage". That is exactly what it did.

Any issue on the left if you give an inch they will push for a mile and our guns will be no different.

The example on the left can also be used in the illegal immigration debate. There are some on the right that will say "Ok let them stay here and no citizenship" the left wont go for that because they want the votes. IF an inch is given by the right like a Dream act ( displacing our own children) they will not let up until enough future voters are breed that a total amnesty happens then another one in 20 years after more and more people rush to get in.
"We are all entitled to our own opinions, but we are not entitled to our own facts"