Author Topic: carrying while working security  (Read 8557 times)

8thFA

carrying while working security
« on: March 11, 2016, 01:37:59 PM »
What are your thoughts on carrying while serving as a security guard in a volunteer capacity?  Church, civic event, etc?  Is that even something that is legal to do in delaware?
US Army veteran
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
NCC

29thInfantry

• Life Member
Re: carrying while working security
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2016, 01:43:51 PM »
Concealed is concealed as long as it is not in a place where you are prohibited by law from carrying.  Like a school or state building I carry everytime I go to church or any church function and they know I carry at least the pastor does and appreciates it.  Evil knows no bounds
NRA Member
US Army Vet.
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
Child of God

8thFA

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2016, 02:08:58 PM »
Sadly yes I pack in church too.  But do you think there are any legal issues if I serve as security at the front door of church while packing?
US Army veteran
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
NCC

MarkB

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2016, 02:18:12 PM »
Are you there as security or just a "greeter" to welcome people to the church?  You carry concealed as a greeter.
NRA Benefactor Member
USCG, 1963-1967, GM-3

29thInfantry

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2016, 02:18:53 PM »
As long as they are ok with you being armed but concealed is concealed how would anyone know?  My church is ok with me and quite a few others carrying all of the people that CC know who we are just in case there is ever an issue. Not sure about the whole serving as security at the church.  
NRA Member
US Army Vet.
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
Child of God

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2016, 02:22:12 PM »
I think it depends on the policies of the place or group that runs the event. If they are opposed to you carrying, which is their right, then you can either not carry or not attend. If you are carrying against their event rules, and an "problem" occurs, you may be held in a civil lawsuit, as well as be kicked out of the group or organization. Be smart and advised.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

29thInfantry

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2016, 02:28:53 PM »
If your church is opposed to you carrying mine will welcome you.
NRA Member
US Army Vet.
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
Child of God

8thFA

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2016, 02:42:19 PM »
This would be serving on a security "team" standing at the front door.
US Army veteran
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
NCC

29thInfantry

• Life Member
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2016, 03:16:51 PM »
There in my opinion is two ways you can handle this one is conceal carry and say nothing and possibly run the risk of being kicked off of church property if they are anti gun if somehow they find out you are carrying.  Or the better of the choices is to talk to your pastor and see how he feels about it this will make you feel more comfortable while carrying at church knowing that they support the 2A.  In the event something happens and you have to pull out your firearm they know you are one of the good guys.  They may already have a few others that carry in the church and it is good to know who is on your side in the event something goes down that warrants lethal force. It was something that I pondered over when I started carrying my pastors were actually 2 of my references after talking to them and telling them what I was doing.   They fully supported what I was doing.  I am often called upon to serve as "security" for events as well as the others that carry in the church. Just my two cents agree with it or not just how I handled it.  There are some people in  your life that should know that you carry and I think if you are going to carry in church the pastors should be at least the few that know.  I have made many more friends in the church amongst those that carry we all share a common bond.  To protect ourselves and those we love and the church is our family at least that is how I feel about my church.  I will protect them if the need arises.
NRA Member
US Army Vet.
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
Child of God

8thFA

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2016, 06:15:42 PM »
Thanks everyone, very helpful.
US Army veteran
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
NCC

seniorgeek

• Life Member
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2016, 04:40:02 PM »
I always carry at my church. The pastor knows I carry and he welcomes it. Also the outreach minister at the church also has his carry permit. Very friendly group and a wonderful Christian church.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NRA Member
Combat Veteran
Southeastern Sussex County

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2016, 06:54:47 PM »
If you look up the requirements for a Delaware Security professional there is separate training for unarmed and armed guards. I'd suggest you not be assigned a title aside from 'greeter'.

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2016, 11:06:21 PM »
If your church is assigning you the official position of security guard, you must have the training that requires, and they must realize they are liable for any "incidents or accidents" it causes. If it is not the official policy of the church, then you are going to be on the hook and prosecuted for any "incident or accident" that happen.  But remember this, the Lord visits many people in jails, you won't be unique.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

29thInfantry

• Life Member
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2016, 11:19:23 PM »
If your church is assigning you the official position of security guard, you must have the training that requires, and they must realize they are liable for any "incidents or accidents" it causes. If it is not the official policy of the church, then you are going to be on the hook and prosecuted for any "incident or accident" that happen.  But remember this, the Lord visits many people in jails, you won't be unique.

With that said I would refrain from the term security for the event.   In the event that something goes down which I would pray it does not.  You are just a member of the church that was at the event and was armed and neutralized the threat being in fear for your own life.  We have a youth night at my church and I go carrying of course we had an incident where some people decided to show up and cause trouble at the church.  It was dealt with quickly and without incident.  No firearms were drawn and I know there were at least 5 of us there that night carrying.  The trouble makers were nothing but a bunch of hot air looking to make trouble with a member of the church the quickly found out it was a bad idea. 
NRA Member
US Army Vet.
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
Child of God

Cbmarine

• Life Member
  • III Marine Amphib Corps. My dad’s shoulder patch
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2016, 11:52:23 PM »
In a previous church, we were on the Safety Committee.
Just a smelly deplorable dreg of society clinging to God and guns.
New Castle County
_..  .  _._   _..  ..._ _  .  ._.