Author Topic: oops I've crossed the border  (Read 6760 times)

8thFA

oops I've crossed the border
« on: April 08, 2016, 11:42:55 PM »
Has anyone ever done a dumb @## move like cross the border in MD and not think about the gun concealed on your belt until your a few miles in?  This happened to a friend of a friend today who didn't think about it until he walked into the local walmart...

Complacency and carelessness that could have made for a very bad day...

Just wondering... :-[
US Army veteran
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
NCC

Cbmarine

• Life Member
  • III Marine Amphib Corps. My dad’s shoulder patch
Re: oops I've crossed the border
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2016, 11:57:40 PM »
Haven't done that, yet.  I live close enough to the border to be constantly aware.

Here's another bad scenario: we were at a standstill in a southbound I95 traffic jam in Philly. I got off I95 and headed south on the surface streets.  I turned east onto I676 expecting to be able to rejoin I95 southbound.  No such luck.  Got forced straight across the Ben Franklin bridge into PRNJ.  Fortunately, we were returning from NJ (sympathies accepted) so I wasn't carrying.  We followed I676 to the Walt Whitman bridge and got nicked for ~$5 to return to sanity.  Scary anyway.
Just a smelly deplorable dreg of society clinging to God and guns.
New Castle County
_..  .  _._   _..  ..._ _  .  ._.

29thInfantry

• Life Member
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2016, 12:11:30 AM »
Almost did the same thing one day got a call at work that my daughter was in a car accident in Elkton so out the door I rushed got to the car and realized wait I can't go to the hospital yet as I was carrying.
Had to go home first lock everything up in the safe then off to the hospital. 
NRA Member
US Army Vet.
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
Child of God

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2016, 12:27:49 AM »
Here's a slow-motion horror story:
Two or three years ago, a box of loose 10mm carry ammo emptied itself out into the space where my spare tire goes.
I fished out every round, or so I thought... until this week, when my car was in the shop and a recall required the technician to remove the spare and jack.

Guess what he found: two 10mm hollow-point rounds.

That car has been through NJ to JFK half a dozen times or more, with those rolling around under the trunk floor.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2016, 04:22:51 PM »
Was out for a Sunday ride once and ended up in Federalsburg, Md., when it suddenly occurred to me that I had my gun on. I so rarely take it off, it feels odd without it, and normal with it. I pulled into a parking lot. no one around. Took off my gun and holster and locked it in the toolbox of my truck, ammo in back seat. Next stop, back to the Great State of Delaware. Put gun back on. How sweet it is!
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

8thFA

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2016, 01:12:00 AM »
Was out for a Sunday ride once and ended up in Federalsburg, Md., when it suddenly occurred to me that I had my gun on. I so rarely take it off, it feels odd without it, and normal with it. I pulled into a parking lot. no one around. Took off my gun and holster and locked it in the toolbox of my truck, ammo in back seat. Next stop, back to the Great State of Delaware. Put gun back on. How sweet it is!

It was the same for me.  How sweet that State of Delaware road sign was. :)
US Army veteran
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
NCC

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2016, 02:10:42 AM »
Out for a mindless cruise last month on the bike just turning here and there when suddenly found myself in MD with a sidearm. Quick U-Turn and 5 minutes later back in DE. Seriously need National Reciprocity!

Steveo

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2016, 01:54:25 PM »
I have that problem with my carry also, live 2 miles from MD border and must constantly be aware as I use Walmart, Tractor Supply etc. on the Rt 40 corrider. Work is issue as I work in  Chester, PA (have my permit) but as a contractor I run across the bridge quite often to the Commie state of NJ or back to MD on way home. Seems I have to leave it home most of time. >:(

greymas

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2016, 05:16:06 PM »
There have been days I've been in 4 different status in one day just running errands.

ThePixelated

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2016, 01:00:21 AM »
I try not to go to Maryland or New Jersey. If I have to for any out extremely rare reason, I go unarmed. I have issues going to an amateur radio meeting in Elkton just because of this.

8thFA

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2016, 01:28:35 AM »
It stinks for sure.  I'm in the same boat.  I work in Elkton, so running across state lines becomes so common place that it's way too easy to be packing on a day off and run down route 40 without even thinking.  So much for the 2A.
US Army veteran
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
NCC

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2016, 01:35:20 PM »
Earlier this year there were 2 bills (with quite a few co-sponsors)introduced in Maryland to give reciprocity to the Delaware, PA., VA, W.VA, and DC. permit holders to carry in MD., but the bill died in the Legislature. I believe it will be revived in the next session. One can only hope.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

Bobbysr

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2016, 10:02:51 AM »
Driving from Newark to Landenberg (Pa), on Rt896, you actually drive through Maryland for a brief second. I think it's called the wedge.

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2016, 12:08:49 PM »
I try not to go to Maryland or New Jersey. If I have to for any out extremely rare reason, I go unarmed. I have issues going to an amateur radio meeting in Elkton just because of this.

I have a 2X1 call.  Not been active for MANY years.
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

seniorgeek

• Life Member
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2016, 03:38:08 PM »
I also have a general class license since 1978.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NRA Member
Combat Veteran
Southeastern Sussex County