Author Topic: Not so sure about appendix carry  (Read 5144 times)

greymas

Not so sure about appendix carry
« on: September 25, 2016, 11:56:50 PM »
I've been carrying a G19 with an AIWB kydex holster. It really does hide well but not so comfortable when sitting in car. I feel like the draw is easier but the muzzle in the vitals is a bit of concern. Those of you who appendix carry; do you carry when spending a lot of time in the car or sitting? What do you do for comfort and safety?

29thInfantry

• Life Member
Re: Not so sure about appendix carry
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 12:59:06 AM »
I would say as long as  you have the firearm in a proper holster the weapon pointed at vitals really shouldn't be an issue.  I tried appendix carry but it was not for me as I have a gut so it didnt work for me.  I have been CC for a little over a year now and I still practice my draw from concealment a few times a week. 
NRA Member
US Army Vet.
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
Child of God

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 05:28:44 AM »
Straight up.. not a chance I'd carry there. Other ways of discharge then accidental. Jumped in a parking lot, wrestling with assailant and attempting to draw your firearm? No frigging thank you!

I carry a Walther PPQ 15+1, pretty much full sized firearm, daily for over 3 years now in a MTAC hybrid holster at exactly 3 o'clock. Its there from 7:30am to midnight or longer every single day. Basically, when I decided to carry it was all day, every day or I knew it would wind up being now and then whenever I felt I might need it.  ::) So.. its like my wallet, there in my pants from the time they go on until I go to bed.

In this time I've traveled quite a bit driving my cars and suvs, ride my motorcycle both on and off-road, go cycling, camping, walking, bounce around on a trampoline, rolling around on the ground with my kid, work on and under my daily and classic vehicles, etc etc. Its there, at 3:00 through it all and I rarely give it a second though. When sitting in a vehicle I put my seat-belt on and can lift my shirt and have direct access to it without issues from the belt and its complete comfortable and easy to get to.

If AIWB is how you want to carry then by all means go ahead. I certainly will not judge you for it. To each their own I say.  ;D I just know for me it's at 3:00 without bothering me at all.

FreakShow

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 03:44:45 PM »
when i get my permit i've been thinking of doing the belly band. only because i don't have enough room to carry between me and the waist band. not that i'm a chubster, there's just no room. so i'm a little bit at a loss on where and how to carry. i just bought a outside the waist holster and will use it on occasion but other than that i have to figure something out
I got the fever and the only prescription, is more cowbell

NRA Member

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016, 05:32:29 PM »
I'm not a skinny guy at just shy of 5'8" and have been bouncing between 190-200Lbs the last several years. Size 38 waste and yeah.. A gut. (I'm down to about 175Lbs this year!) I had the same thoughts when I started carrying. Tried a number of holsters and positions, most of which failed or just weren't comfortable, though found 3:00 was best for me. I finally spent the bucks and bought the Comp-Tac MTAC holster which is a leather / kydex hybrid. It's adjustable in just about all ways and for me it fits perfectly. I don't even wear a tucked in t-shirt as even with it right on my skin it doesn't bother me. I can toss on a pair of pants or shorts, my belt and the MTAC then simple pull on a t-shirt and go. All day everyday.

Note that even a good holster isn't everything. Get a good solid leather belt that will not twist or sag on you. Many people here have purchased them locally at leather shops. I bought one of the kydex reinforced leather belts with my order from Comp-Tac and after 3 years it's still looks great and hasn't deformed at all. I'll admit the $100 tag was painful but I have since purchased a second one in the other color and one for the wife as well.

Lots of holsters and it's a very personal thing. I had the same concerns as you and couldn't believe I'd be able to stick this large looking holster AND a handgun inside my waistband but it did just fine.

FreakShow

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2016, 12:05:46 AM »
i just bought an alien gear holster with the interchangeable parts to house different gun. i bought one piece for my 1911 and one for my SD9VE, each only 13 bucks. you just change them out for each gun. it can be a paddle holster or you can attach a belt holder of which i will do. so 47 bucks plus 13 for the other holder. and it hold that gun in there!

NRA Member

PPScarry

• Life Member
  • del ccdw license holder - NRA member
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2016, 12:27:24 PM »
My first holster was appendix. It's in the drawer. It works well if you don't sit down. I carry at just past 3 o'clock.
"There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. "
Noah Webster
 American Lexicographer

CorBon

• Life Member
  • The Revolution starts in your heart...
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2016, 12:42:14 PM »
when i get my permit i've been thinking of doing the belly band. only because i don't have enough room to carry between me and the waist band. not that i'm a chubster, there's just no room. so i'm a little bit at a loss on where and how to carry. i just bought a outside the waist holster and will use it on occasion but other than that i have to figure something out
You could buy pants that are one size larger than you normally wear, for IWB carry.  Or you can switch to an expandable-waist type of pants.  Mostly I do OWB, but I'll do IWB when I feel it's better.  Normally the IWB is not set up as tuckable, but I will also do that when really necessary.

Most people end up with a stack of holsters, numerous belts, and even different types of pants and/or shirts -- most of which are not used, and many of which are used in specific circumstances.  Toting a gun around is not a one-size-fits-all endeavor.
Very few guns are actually "illegal guns."  A gun misappropriated by a criminal is no more of an "illegal gun" than a stolen car is an "illegal car."

FreakShow

• Life Member
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2016, 12:54:01 PM »
i get the whole idea that people don't want to be seen, printing. But not all people are blind, they notice things. i pay attention to people around me, in my line of work you need to. so i'm gonna wear an OWB holster and let my tee shirt cover it, and other times i'll wear a belly band, but most of all i'm going to keep my gun on me and protect myself. i understand not everyone is going to be comfortable with that and i'm sure i will get some uneasy reactions, but better that then not have it when i need it.

NRA Member

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2016, 02:22:05 PM »
My first holster was appendix. It's in the drawer. It works well if you don't sit down. I carry at just past 3 o'clock.

PPScary

You might want to try that holster at 5 O'clock. It will be more comfortable, especially when sitting down. I have carried that way for many years and it works for me, and maybe it will for you. I use a IWB Pro Carry Deep Comfort holster from theholsterstore.com  in Florida.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

PPScarry

• Life Member
  • del ccdw license holder - NRA member
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2016, 12:43:50 PM »
Moved on to a comfort tuck horsehide Vedder holster at 3 to 4 o'clock. Keeping my appendix holster, you never know.
"There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. "
Noah Webster
 American Lexicographer

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2016, 08:50:26 PM »
Over three years and I like between 3 and 4 o'clock.  But I carry OWB. (Outside Waste Band)
DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.

LostM

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2016, 06:25:33 PM »
If you like appendix carry, as I do, but dont like driving with it there for comfort, mount a holster to your vehicle.  Thats what I do. G19 also.