Author Topic: Should a ccdw permit holder have a lawyer on retainer or just have a phone num.  (Read 2454 times)

Bogey

In other words. Will they come if you call..
The things you see when you don't have a gun.....

muleman88

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
Thats a good question. I personally only have a phone number but i feel I should have more. I cant bring myself to pay to have one on retainer. I courious to all of the answers you will get.

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
I fix my attorney's computers, and he & his office staff have learned that I will take their call any day of the week and come running... and they know why.
They also knows that I will STFU and sit in a holding cell without saying anything for as long as it takes for him to get there.

Establish a relationship with your lawyer: explain why you chose him (or her), buy lunch for the office staff, and make sure they know that you don't plan to commit any crimes... but you expect to be charged with one if your gun ever comes out, so you want them to know your name if the call ever comes.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

Capnball

Some work places offer "Prepaid Legal" as a benefit. Of course, this "benefit" is usually paid for by a pay-roll deduction from the employee but, the costs are generally reasonable. When you sign up you are actually linked to a law firm in your area, and if you do need an attorney for nearly anything including wills or civil/criminal issues, you have access to someone in that firm that can handle your case. The "prepaid" portion only allows you a certain low level of consultation before they start to bill you. You are provided with a card that has instructions on it with things not to do if you are ever arrested with a phone number to call. While this is probably not the best solution, it beats not having a personal "word-twister" when it's needed most.
If your employer doesn't offer Prepaid Legal you can purchase it yourself directly. I understand that some companies offer this as a paid benefit simply because it's far cheaper than Health Insurance! As much as I have no love for the modern ambulance chasing legal profession, they serve a purpose. As a gun owner a lawyer can be your friend or your worst nightmare and the only way to defend against a nightmare is bring one of your own to the courtroom.