Author Topic: need ideals for summer  (Read 10200 times)

muleman88

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
need ideals for summer
« on: August 11, 2011, 01:14:50 AM »
OK. I have a problem. I have found myself not carrying as much when its hot. I have a fairly active job and interact with lots of folks. I usually carry a glock 30 in a super tuck. Problem is that when im only wearing a tee shirt it prints sometimes when im in certain positions, and cant wear more clothes.
 What I am asking is for ideals for small dependable guns that are field proven . I would like atleast a 9mm but I would be better  having a 22  than nothing at all. So give me some gun ideals that you have found worthy and easy to conceal. Thanks

Condition 1

• Life Member
Re: need ideals for summer
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 04:32:56 AM »
Try the G26. I carry mine with a t-shirt and you cannot see it is there even if you are looking for it. Also, I carry 2 o'clock most of the time - which on my experience completely eliminates printing.

rusirius

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 11:59:41 AM »
As condition1 said, the smaller the "easier" as far as concealment...  If it's REALLY a concern, you could even look at some of the pocket pistol offerings (i.e. the LCP, etc)

With that said, how do you know you are "printing"?  Has anyone mentioned it?  Or is it just because you see/feel it yourself?  We tend to be very critical of ourselves.  Standing in front of a mirror moving around you think, "Oh geez!  I can see the gun clearly!"... But in reality it's just because it's you and you know it's a gun... Others who saw the same thing most likely wouldn't even notice, and even if they did notice they'd think cell phone, ipod, or any number of other crap that people carry around on their belts.

If it really IS a problem, try changing the supertuck around.  Different positions are not only more comfortable, but also often print less... Condition1 said he prefers the 2 o'clock position... I've found for me the 4 o'clock position offers the most comfortable ride while still eliminating printing. 

Also, don't just MOVE the supertuck... Adjust it as well...  You can adjust the cant as well as the ride height... You may find that having it ride higher may actually print less despite what you would normally think...  changing the cant can also affect comfort and printing...

Make sure you have a GOOD belt... I know it's stressed all the time, but it really can't be stressed enough just how much of a difference a GOOD belt can make.  A good heavy gun style belt will not only keep it locked in place, but it can also pull it inwards slightly eliminating print. 

Last but not least, going back to ride height, you can also try going deeper... If you have a supertuck with the stock clips, try getting the velco hooks instead... Get a velcro backed belt (or do it yourself) and now you can plunge it down in your waist band much further...

That's about all I can think of short of the type of t-shirt... All t-shirts aren't created equal... Stick with ones that are heavier and thicker as well as looser/larger and obviously you'll print less.

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 12:06:56 PM »
+1 on the mouse gun (pocket pistol).  Just added 1 to my options.
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 09:05:43 PM »
My next purchase will be a pocket gun but I am not willing to go smaller than a .38.  I am looking at the S&W 442 Airweight.  You drop drastically in number of rounds but it has adequate stopping power with the right loads.

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County

muleman88

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 09:17:08 PM »
I  use a crossbreed belt with the velcro backing and like it.  My wife has told me she can see it sometimes if im in certain positions as well as me feeling it myself . Its mainly when im bent over because I carry at 4 o-clock , I  tried 2-oclock one time but it seemed to hinder me bending over ( which I do quite a bit of at work) and I didnt like it aiming near my tender parts  :o.
  Im not familiar with the g26 how much smaller is it? I think my best option will be a small gun maybe even a pocket piece. Is there any proven dependable ones that is worth the price? If I need to get another gun I want to spend it on something that works. Thanks.

Pete D.---

• NRA Member
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 11:10:35 PM »

GLOCK 26 9mm  MAG. CAPACITY Standard: 10  OPTIONAL  12/15/17/19/33

WEIGHT  560 g / 19.75 oz.  LOADED (~)  740 g / 26.10 oz.   
LENGTH  160 mm / 6.29 in.  HEIGHT  106 mm / 4.17 in.  WIDTH  30 mm / 1.18 in. BARRELL HEIGHT  32 mm / 1.26 in.   
TRIGGER PULL  2.5 kg / 5.5 lbs.  TRIGGER TRAVEL 12.5 mm / 0.5 in.  LINE OF SIGHT 144 mm / 5.67 in.
BARREL LENGTH  88 mm / 3.46 in.  BARREL RIFLING right hand, hexagonal  LENGTH OF TWIST   250 mm / 9.84 in.   

GLOCK 30 .45 AUTO  MAG. CAPACITY  Standard: 10  OPTIONAL  9 / 13

WEIGHT 680 g / 23.99 oz.  LOADED (~) 960 g / 33.86 oz. 
LENGTH 172 mm / 6.77 in.  HEIGHT 121 mm / 4.76 in.  WIDTH  3.5 mm / 1.27 in.  BARREL HEIGHT 32 mm / 1.26 in.
TRIGGER PULL 2.5 kg / 5.5 lbs.  TRIGGER TRAVEL 12.5 mm / 0.5 in.    LINE OF SIGHT 151 mm / 5.95 in.
BARREL LENGTH 96 mm / 3.78 in.  BARREL RIFLING right hand, octagonal  LENGTH OF TWIST 400 mm / 15.75 in.   
"This food fights back!" Myke Hawke Peirce

muleman88

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 11:26:47 PM »
Thanks Pete

Condition 1

• Life Member
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 11:54:34 PM »
The G26 is not as bulkier. I carry mine on a Galco Tuck-n-go and have no problems bending over, luv it.
I don't compromise on my choice of guns, rather change the way I dress around the gun than the gun I carry.

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2011, 12:24:45 AM »
I gave up on concealment years ago. I carry a Glock 29 and a spare mag in a Safepacker.
Nobody seems to notice; it seems invisible to cops, security guards and anyone else. I've chatted with a senator while wearing it.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

muleman88

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2011, 01:12:16 AM »
Old grey , I dont kow much about the safepacker. Can it go on a belt ( and if so is it to big to use that way )or is it only worn with a strap? Also do you feel your draw time is slowed compared to a iwb holster? 

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2011, 01:20:19 AM »
I carry a Taurus 380 ACP in the summer if one of my other preferred carry firearms just wont work with the clothing I'm wearing.  It's small enough to tuck away in a jacket pocket in the winter when needed, etc.  I'm working on getting a compact firearm (yes, most likely a Glock) just not sure which one yet. 

Oh, and I'm carrying in a holster made by yours truly.  :)

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2011, 12:24:18 PM »
I carry a Taurus 380 ACP in the summer if one of my other preferred carry firearms just wont work with the clothing I'm wearing.  It's small enough to tuck away in a jacket pocket in the winter when needed, etc.  I'm working on getting a compact firearm (yes, most likely a Glock) just not sure which one yet. 

Oh, and I'm carrying in a holster made by yours truly.  :)

Moosie
So where are the pics of the holster?
" An armed society is a polite society"
I not sick, I'm twisted. Sick makes it sound like there's a cure.

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2011, 01:00:22 PM »
If they were up your a....   I mean umm, I'm getting to them. Not the prettiest thing.

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

rusirius

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2011, 01:06:06 PM »
Old grey , I dont kow much about the safepacker. Can it go on a belt ( and if so is it to big to use that way )or is it only worn with a strap? Also do you feel your draw time is slowed compared to a iwb holster? 

I don't think they make a safepacker that just secures to a belt... you pretty much gotta use their strap... That's kinda part of the mechanism that makes it work, there is a false buckle that you can undo that really doesn't undo it, it just releases the front to flip open exposing the pistol.

My problem with the safepacker is just that I'd look like a jackass walking around with one... (No offense oldgrey!!!)  With my style of dress, etc... Walking around with a fanny pack just wouldn't "work" with me... LMAO...