Author Topic: Just got this response from John Carney regarding my email to him about H.R 822  (Read 9439 times)

Fishhunter911

Isn't it great that we have an @@@ for a member of Senate here in DE?

November 18, 2011

Dear Mr. **********,

Thank you for taking the time to contact to me about the carrying of concealed handguns. I appreciate your input and thoughts on this important subject.

I have learned over the years that gun control can be a very complex issue. Like many of you, I enjoy hunting. The 2nd amendment grants us the right to bear arms, but I believe this right must be exercised responsibly. We must continue working to prevent guns from ending up in the hands of people who are emotionally disturbed or engaged in criminal activity. Implementing common sense measures that do not affect law-abiding citizens will help stop the proliferation of illegal guns on our streets and in our communities. I am supportive of gun enforcement efforts involving police and prosecutors, as well as effective firearm safety education programs. For instance, as Lieutenant Governor, I implemented Delaware's gun trigger lock education and distribution program, which distributed more than 80,000 gun trigger locks in the state.

As you may know, 48 states have laws allowing individuals to carry concealed handguns for personal protection. While "right-to-carry" laws are administered by the states, there have been some attempts to nationalize them. In 2008, the Department of Interior introduced a set of national regulations to authorize the carrying of concealed handguns on public lands. After a series of public hearings, the Department of Interior published the public land concealment regulations in 2009. However, a U.S. District Judge issued an injunction against the regulations shortly thereafter.

On February 18, 2011, Congressman Cliff Stearns (R-FL) introduced H.R. 822, the National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act. H.R. 822 would allow an individual with a right-to-carry permit from one state to use the same permit in another state as long as it does not violate state law.  I voted against this bill when it came before the House on November 16, 2011, although it ultimately passed.

I appreciate your taking the time to share your thoughts with me on these matters. I take seriously the trust Delawareans have placed in me and my responsibility to represent them in Congress, and I look forward to serving you in the coming years.

Sincerely,

John Carney
Member of Congress

« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 10:10:04 PM by Fishhunter911 »

muleman88

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
Well he voted against the bill sooooo. I will do my part and vote against him  :)

Moosie

• Life Member
I wish he would have put some effort into explaining WHY he voted against HR822. 

Still, I'm voting against him next time around. 

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

formerly known as frank

• Life Member
I got the exact same reply, obviously he voted along party lines. I WILL remember him next election!

Moosie

• Life Member
Too bad some of these politicians don't grow a set of balls and vote how they want to instead of along party lines. Grrrr. 

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

firststatefirearms

If I'm not mistaken 49 States now have CCDW permits.
An armed citizen refuses to be a victim.

Knotacare

• NRA Endowment Member VFW Life Member
This is typical of these guys , they can't answer any decent questions & vote however they want. when's the last time one of them took a poll in there communities to see where the common man stands...NEVER. He like all incumbents are on my do not vote for list.
Alan  ???

rusirius

You would think that a canned response (i got the EXACT same reply word for word) would have had a little more details in it... I suppose when you don't have an explanation for WHY you voted the way you did, other than you are anti, there isn't much you can say... A few lines of BS would have been nice...  Transparent, but nice... ;)

The best part is... I don't even think this was a canned response to specific requests about HR822, at least not the top portion of it... I remember seeing the exact same paragraph in a previous correspondence.  Choosing to include it here was NOT a good choice... It basically reads to me along the lines of, "I'm pro 2a, but i want good gun control... I want to keep guns out of criminal hands... I want to keep mentally deranged people or those who would do harm to others from being being able to get guns in their hands... It's for this reason that I voted against HR822..."  Uhhh What?!?

Johnnyboy

I got the same response from him too. Now we know how to vote next election..
I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop.

Just Bill

• Life Member
If any of you did your home work, you would not have voted for him before.  His record was quite clear on his stance on the Second Amendment, not for it.  He mentions hunting.  The Second Amendment has nothing to do with hunting.  It is about defending ourselves from a tyranical government.

Sincerely,

John Carney
Member of Congress

[/quote]

If
NRA Cert. Instructor Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun
NRA Lifer
NRA RSO
DE/PA CCDW permits
AGI certified gunsmith--Cowboy Action/1911/Glock/rifle/pistol/shotgun/rimfire
AGI Firearms Appraiser/FFL 01
AGI certified Master Gunsmith

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
I don't think we, the people of Delaware, can count on either Carney or Coons to help us retain our 2nd Ammendment Rights. They will be the ones that will vote against any firearms bills that would bolster the 2nd Ammendment. They would love to see the 2nd Ammendment abolished.  The crazy thing is we keep electing them because of this brilliant "Delaware Way" B/S, that people seem to think of as doing Delaware any good. We are 8% above the national average in crime in this little state, and on the rise for the last two years. Everyone needs to legally arm themselves. If we don't, only the criminals will be armed.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

Fishhunter911

If any of you did your home work, you would not have voted for him before.  His record was quite clear on his stance on the Second Amendment, not for it.  He mentions hunting.  The Second Amendment has nothing to do with hunting.  It is about defending ourselves from a tyranical government.

Sincerely,

John Carney
Member of Congress

If
[/quote]

1 of many reasons I did NOT voted for him to begin with!!  ;D

Just Bill

• Life Member
One more note that I forgot..........Carney is a representative, not a senator.  Carper and Coons are the senators, and we won't get any help from Carper either
NRA Cert. Instructor Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun
NRA Lifer
NRA RSO
DE/PA CCDW permits
AGI certified gunsmith--Cowboy Action/1911/Glock/rifle/pistol/shotgun/rimfire
AGI Firearms Appraiser/FFL 01
AGI certified Master Gunsmith

triangle172

He was a do nothing genius when he was Jaba the Govs. Lieut. Gov.  His condition does not appear to be improving.

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
If I were you I wouldn't hold my breath on HR 822 getting thru. If it makes it through the Democrat controlled Senate, Obama will VETO the bill. There will be no help from Delaware Congressmen as they are all Democrats and Carney and Coons vored against it. Carper is not going to be any better. If it is vetoed by Obama I don't feel it will be overridden if it were togo back for a revote. You can count on anything that has to do with firearms will get a thumbs down in this Obama Administration, and if he is re-elected he will start dissasembling the 2nd Amendment to the US Constitution. Wouldn't be surprised if he starts collecting all of our guns.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun