Author Topic: Ruger LCR 22 mag  (Read 8810 times)

Just Bill

• Life Member
Ruger LCR 22 mag
« on: December 03, 2013, 11:25:15 AM »
Just bought one for the wife.  She does not like the recoil of 9MM or most any semi auto with power enough to slow someone down, and has problems racking the slide.  I knew the trigger was hard when i bought it but have since found how hard it is.  I wrote to Ruger and they say it is 14-18lbs, my trigger gauge only goes to 12.  Thye said it was not safe to reduce the pull.  Now I have a gun that is useless, well sort of.  She had a spread at 15' of about 15"(very slow fire).  I suggested that the bad guy would not be moving fast with that spread.  My S&W BG 38 is just under 8lbs, and I thought that was heavy.

The trigger is too hard for any reliable accuracy, IMHO.  Any ideas??

Bill
NRA Cert. Instructor Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun
NRA Lifer
NRA RSO
DE/PA CCDW permits
AGI certified gunsmith--Cowboy Action/1911/Glock/rifle/pistol/shotgun/rimfire
AGI Firearms Appraiser/FFL 01
AGI certified Master Gunsmith

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
Re: Ruger LCR 22 mag
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 09:19:57 PM »
Have she tried cocking the hammer first, making the trigger pull single action?
If this is a meant to be an EDC for her, I understand why she'd need to be shooting DA. That is one heavy trigger.
New Castle County

Just Bill

• Life Member
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 10:42:30 PM »
Hammerless, double action only.  VERY heavy trigger.  I can shoot it, but wife has issues, and since I bought it for her for when I am away.....???  And Ruger says can't/won't do anything.  I was interested in their many adds about the best DA trigger in the industry.  Of course, this does not apply to the 22 or 22mag.  I understand the .38 is about 8lbs.  Why is a centerfire so much different from a rim fire???
NRA Lifer
NRA RSO
DE/PA CCDW permits

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 11:17:12 PM »
New Castle County

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 11:19:59 PM »
I think I'd look into taking it back and trading it in on something else, that she can shoot before purchasing it.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 12:13:20 AM »
Question.. is this for her to carry or simply for home defense? Also, does she shoot much already or a new shooter?

Just Bill

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 12:05:29 PM »
Home defense, and she has shot before.  Likes my Trooper Mk III .357, but hates all my semi auto's.  I thought this would be a good compromise.  Small, lightweight(.357 is heavy, big frame), handy, smaller caliber but enough to do some damage.  I can shoot it effectively, but has trouble with hands/joints.  She did well at the range, just not sure if she could under stress.  She also does not like my S&W BG 38, too light, too much kick w/.38sp, but much lighter trigger pull. about 7lb 10-12 oz.
NRA Lifer
NRA RSO
DE/PA CCDW permits

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 12:18:33 PM »
I like the LDA (Para).  It's a factory 6lb DA ONLY semi.
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2013, 01:19:14 PM »
Home defense, and she has shot before.  Likes my Trooper Mk III .357, but hates all my semi auto's.  I thought this would be a good compromise.  Small, lightweight(.357 is heavy, big frame), handy, smaller caliber but enough to do some damage.  I can shoot it effectively, but has trouble with hands/joints.  She did well at the range, just not sure if she could under stress.  She also does not like my S&W BG 38, too light, too much kick w/.38sp, but much lighter trigger pull. about 7lb 10-12 oz.

Ok so for HD and not carry makes the difference. I'd suggest a larger double action revolver. Sure it'll add weight but that helps lessen the felt recoil... A good thing. Get a .357 or even a .454 BUT load it with either .38 Special or .45colt defensive hollow points. Nothing more reliable then the revolver, heavy and solid lessening the recoil and still decent defensive rounds.

My wife chooses to carry either an LCP 380 or a Walther PPS 9mm. She has a hard time racking the slide but is getting better, so she carries with one in the pipe ready to shoot. For home defense she has chosen my Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan with 6 round of .45Long Colt. She loves the gun with its smooth trigger and while it is very heavy she can still shoot it all day. Not saying go out and buy one but my point is small light weight handguns are not needed for home defense.

NOTE: same thing for semi-autos. I have a couple Hi-Point .45acp handguns here and sure they are large and weigh a ton but they are reliable and very easy to shoot. When empty they are so heavy and large they make a great brick to beat the guy with also..  ;D

She also liked the Ruger SP101 with .38 Special instead of .357 but its got a longer pull and much heavier trigger. I'm gonna swap out springs and see how she likes that.

anjdrifter

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2013, 02:44:58 PM »
My wife has the same trouble with semi s . but her home defense is (actually 2) is a S and w Combat masterpiece and also a charter arms 38 under cover... she feels much better with the wheel gun for home defense..
Sussex county, NRA certified instructor -pistol-rifle- shotgun ,doj approved instructor

Beretta92

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2013, 03:00:32 PM »
My wife has a Ruger LCP 380 with the Crimson Trace Laser. It is kept loaded where she can access it (no kids in the house) so she does not have to deal with racking the slide. The trigger on the LCP is ok for her. She really feels more confident with the laser built into the grip. Grip the gun and it is on.

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2013, 06:28:57 PM »
My only issue with the LCP is its size and weight. It's such a small & light gun its not nice to shoot due to the recoil. Better then nothing but light is for carry and HD should have some weight behind it. Easier to control the firearm to stay on target and to get back on target faster.

And yes the laser does remove the need for aiming and allows quicker point and shoot.

My wife knows if I'm not home and she hears a bump in the night to grab her firearm then the phone. If time permits dial 911, put it on speaker, get on the floor on the far side of the bed and to then yell out a warning to the intruder/s. I'm armed, I've called 911, the police are on their way and you should leave now! From this point she has a clear line of sight from anyone coming up the steps, has cover from the bed and the 911 operator on the phone. Sitting there her arms out holding the firearm at the stairwell.. She'll have the first shot if need be. She knows to NOT attempt to clear the house on her own.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 06:38:37 PM by Adrenolin »

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2013, 09:34:08 PM »
Maybe you and your wife could take a drive to see Federal Firearm (from this forum). Try out a few revolvers and triggers. Just a thought.
New Castle County

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2013, 09:41:13 PM »
Lumspond posted a great idea.

Also as a note.. if I mention a firearm and you'd like to give it a try let me know and we'll try to arrange a range visit. Just let me know via PM.

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2013, 09:53:53 PM »
Maybe you and your wife could take a drive to see Federal Firearm (from this forum). Try out a few revolvers and triggers. Just a thought.

+1  Has lots of stuff on hand.
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.