Author Topic: Delaware - Virginia now reciprocal  (Read 17971 times)

GunEnvy

• Life Member
  • NRA Life Member
Re: Delaware - Virginia now reciprocal
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2009, 02:42:23 PM »
The way I heard it was that they accept a permit from state XYZ but you still need to meet the requirements that Delaware requires. 
Honey I swear I've had that gun for years!

mrjam2jab

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2009, 03:01:09 PM »
I've heard, but don't know for positive, that even if you have a CCW from a state the Delaware accepts you still need the course. Before you bank on the VA permiy check to see if you need the class still.

You are sort of correct.  The reason PA doenst have recip with DE...and many other states...is because PA doesnt require any training to get the LTCF....which makes it odd that PA and VA have recip.  To get VA I have to take a safety class.  DE will only recip with states that require training to get a permit..
I'm not a gun nut.  I'm a 2nd Amendment enthusiast.

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2009, 03:52:41 PM »
Which is weird because I cant find anything in writing that states this. I cant see DSP asking to see your training cert if you get pulled over.
" An armed society is a polite society"
I not sick, I'm twisted. Sick makes it sound like there's a cure.

mrjam2jab

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2009, 02:00:56 AM »
Which is weird because I cant find anything in writing that states this. I cant see DSP asking to see your training cert if you get pulled over.

Not sure if you're referring to my info...but if so...

http://attorneygeneral.delaware.gov/crime/concealedweapons.shtml

Pursuant to 11 Del.C. ' 1441(j), as of July 11, 2003, Delaware law allows residents of other states who have been issued a concealed deadly weapon license or permit by certain other states to lawfully carry concealed deadly weapons in Delaware if the state that issued the permit or license also recognizes Delaware's concealed deadly weapons licenses, and if Delaware's Attorney General also determines that the concealed deadly weapons licensing or permit laws in the issuing state "afford a reasonably similar degree of protection as is provided by licensure in Delaware." The Attorney General has determined that only states that require proof of training in firearms safety as a part of their licensing or permit process can meet this requirement.
I'm not a gun nut.  I'm a 2nd Amendment enthusiast.

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2009, 10:38:00 AM »
MrJab2Jam what I was refering to was I can't find anything in writting that states that even if their is an agreement between DE and another state that you have to go out and get a firearms safety class before you can carry in DE. It looks like all the law says is that DE will only go into agreements with states that already require some sort of firearms training class. So I would think if VA has an agreement with DE thats all that matters.

"Pursuant to 11 Del.C. ' 1441(j), as of July 11, 2003, Delaware law allows residents of other states who have been issued a concealed deadly weapon license or permit by certain other states to lawfully carry concealed deadly weapons in Delaware if the state that issued the permit or license also recognizes Delaware's concealed deadly weapons licenses, and if Delaware's Attorney General also determines that the concealed deadly weapons licensing or permit laws in the issuing state "afford a reasonably similar degree of protection as is provided by licensure in Delaware." The Attorney General has determined that only states that require proof of training in firearms safety as a part of their licensing or permit process can meet this requirement."
" An armed society is a polite society"
I not sick, I'm twisted. Sick makes it sound like there's a cure.

quickdraw

« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2009, 02:52:37 AM »
Virginia accepts various types of training, including NRA certified on line training.The Concealed Carry Institute in Norfolk VA is one of them. You may obtain a non resident application from the VA State Police website.
Also acceptable training is a copy of a hunter education course, or proof of prior military service.