Author Topic: New Castle County Code Ch 10 "County State of Emergency"  (Read 16890 times)

firststatefirearms

New Castle County Code Ch 10 "County State of Emergency"
« on: July 30, 2009, 07:29:54 PM »
New Castle County Code Chapter 10 "County State of Emergency" Article 2 Sec. 10.02.001.

Issuance of proclamations; imposition of restraints.
Upon a determination by the County Executive that there is a clear and present danger to the health, life or safety of the people or property in any part of the County, the County Executive may issue a proclamation declaring a state of emergency and may impose such restraints and requirements, including but not limited to periods of curfew or limitations upon the congregating of persons in streets, roads, parks or public open spaces or limitations upon the carrying or stockpiling of firearms, weapons or ammunition as in his or her judgment are proper in order to protect and preserve the health, life and safety of the people and property in the County.(Ord. No. 98-050, § 1(10-26), 5-26-1998)

I called Councilman Tansey's Office (7/17/09) and informed his Aide that this was in violation of DE Steat Law Title 20. "Katrina Act". I was told that this information would be passed onto the Legal Office for review. I called teh Councilman's Office again today (7/30/09) to get an update. The Aide said that the Legal Office has not gave her any information as of yet. But, she will call me as soon as she has an answer.

I think everyone should contact thier County Council Rep and voice thier opinion on this matter.

We don't need another gun seizure like in New Orleans.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 02:33:02 PM by Sigarms12 »
An armed citizen refuses to be a victim.

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
Re: New CAstle County Code Ch 10 "County State of Emergency"
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 09:20:50 PM »
All I can say is WOW!! I'm gonna contact my Councilman and my State Rep this is a really bad thing that I don't want to wait until something bad happens IE Hurricane to figure this out.
" An armed society is a polite society"
I not sick, I'm twisted. Sick makes it sound like there's a cure.

CorBon

• Life Member
  • The Revolution starts in your heart...
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 01:25:23 AM »
Two words:  Μολὼν λαβέ!
Very few guns are actually "illegal guns."  A gun misappropriated by a criminal is no more of an "illegal gun" than a stolen car is an "illegal car."

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 01:23:40 PM »
Ok, so since I live under a rock... 

what's the "Katrina Act"? and what happened after Katrina in NO? 
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 01:37:08 PM »
A rock? Moosie you must live under a mountain  ;D, After Katrina hit the Mayor of New Orleans ordered the Police and National Guard to confiscate any and all firearms they could find. They literally went into peoples homes and took their firearms without any cause. If I'm not mistaken some people are still trying to get their guns back. So about 13 States Delaware being one of them have enacted laws that prevent this, President Bush even signed a law a few years back that financially penalized states that allow this to happen.

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009, 02:32:39 PM »
Heres the section of De Law that this pertains to:
DE State Law Title 20 Chapter 31 Sub Chapter III.
§ 3116. Powers.
"c) During an emergency or disaster:
(1) Nothing contained in this section shall be construed as granting the power to suspend or limit the right of law abiding citizens to keep and bear arms for defense of self, family, home and State as guaranteed by Article I, § 20 of the Delaware Constitution; and

(2) Nothing contained in this section shall prevent law-abiding citizens, during such emergency or disaster, from taking reasonable steps to safeguard their arms from destruction, looting or theft, including but not limited to their removal of such items from areas of danger to locations of relative safety. "

Moosie

• Life Member
Re: New Castle County Code Ch 10 "County State of Emergency"
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2009, 04:19:30 PM »
Peeking out from under my mountain.... 

Thanks, Sig for the clarification.  To be honest, I had no idea they did any of this.  Yeah, I know.  I feel pretty brilliant now! LOL 

Thankfully DE has this in place, but it sounds like someone hasn't had their surgery yet...  you know.. the cranial rectal inversion surgery. 

Thanks for the info...   my mountain is calling. 

MOosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 12:59:24 AM »
Sent emails last week but no replies yet.

firststatefirearms

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2009, 03:59:16 PM »
Councilman Tansey will be introducing a change to this Code. I have the change if anyone is interested in reading it. The County legal Office actual typed it up for the Councilman. I am waiting to hear back form the Councilman's office as to when this change will be brought to the County Council for a vote.

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2009, 05:34:45 PM »
Can you please post it

firststatefirearms

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2009, 03:15:04 PM »
This is what I received from Counciman Tansey's Office.

Introduced by: Mr. Tansey
Date of Introduction:
ORDINANCE NO. 09 -
AMENDING NEW CASTLE COUNTY CODE CHAPTER 10 (CIVIL EMERGENCIES)
REGARDING THE EXERCISE OF EMERGENY POWERS
WHEREAS, during the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, local and state authorities in and
around New Orleans, LA, declared a state of emergency and then used that state of emergency as
an excuse to confiscate arms from law abiding citizens who were either relying upon those arms
for the defense of self, family or home or were in the process of removing those arms from a
place of danger to a place of safety so as to deprive the criminal element then present access to
those arms; and
WHEREAS, in response to such unlawful conduct by such local and state authorities, the
State of Delaware, as well as many other jurisdictions, enacted clarifying legislation to ensure that
the declaration of a state of emergency can never be used as an excuse to infringe upon the
constitutional right to bear arms; and
WHEREAS, the County desires to amend the County Code section that empowers the
County Executive to declare a state of emergency to clarify that any restraints imposed cannot
infringe upon the constitutional right to keep and bear arms for the defense of self, family, home
and State; and
WHEREAS, Council finds that the provisions of this ordinance are rationally and
reasonably related to legitimate government interests, including, but not limited to, the
protection and preservation of the public health, safety, prosperity, general welfare and quality of
life.
NOW, THEREFORE, THE COUNTY OF NEW CASTLE HEREBY ORDAINS:
Section 1. New Castle County Code Chapter 10 (Civil Emergencies), Article 2 (County
State of Emergency), Section 10.02.001 (Issuance of proclamations; imposition of restraints) is
hereby amended by deleting the stricken material and adding the material that is underscored, as
set forth below.
Sec. 10.02.001. Issuance of proclamations; imposition of restraints.
Upon a determination by the County Executive that there is a clear and present danger to the
health, life or safety of the people or property in any part of the County, the County Executive
may issue a proclamation declaring a state of emergency and may impose such restraints and
requirements, including but not limited to periods of curfew or limitations upon the congregating
of persons in streets, roads, parks or public open spaces [or limitations upon the carrying or
stockpiling of firearms, weapons or ammunition]
as in his or her judgment are proper in order to
protect and preserve the health, life and safety of the people and property in the County. During
an emergency or disaster: (1) Nothing contained in this section shall be construed as granting the
power to suspend or limit the right of law abiding citizens to keep and bear arms for defense of
self, family, home and State as guaranteed by Article I, § 20 of the Delaware Constitution; and (2)
Nothing contained in this section shall prevent law-abiding citizens, during such emergency or
disaster, from taking reasonable steps to safeguard their arms from destruction, looting or theft, including but not limited to their removal of such items from areas of danger to locations of
relative safety.
Section 2. This ordinance shall become effective immediately upon passage by New
Castle County Council and approval of the County Executive or as otherwise provided in 9 Del.
C. § 1156.
Adopted by County Council of
New Castle County on:
Section 20 of the Delaware Constitution guaranteeing law abiding citizens “to keep and bear arms
for the defense of self, family, home and State” cannot be infringed during a state of emergency
declared by the County.

After this is succesfully passed.  I will be attempting to change the NCC Park Regulation.

I encourage all of us to call our County Council member to vote in favor of this change.

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2009, 05:45:11 PM »
Very well written and I'm glad to see that they took this serious, As far as parks State Parks are an issue to when it comes to carrying concealed.

firststatefirearms

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2009, 01:32:35 PM »
NCC Park Regulations prohibit the carry firearms.  This is a violation of state law that preempted county, city and town goverments from passing additional gun laws.

New Castle County Code.
Sec. 24.01.014.  Possession of certain knives; discharge of weapons.
No person shall carry a knife upon his or her person having a blade three (3) inches or longer in length or have possession of or discharge a BB gun, air rifle, pistol, firearm, paint ball gun, bow and arrow or any other type of lethal weapon in any park.
(Ord. No. 98-050, § 1(24-14), 5-26-1998)

firststatefirearms

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2009, 05:40:31 PM »
This is an email I just received from Councilman Tansey's Office.

Sure, it will be introduced at the August 25th mtg, where it is read into the record (no debate or public comment takes place) and then voted on at the following meeting, which will be September 8th.  It will be debated and voted on at the September 8th meeting and there is an opportunity for public comment.

I urge all members of New Castle County to call their Council person and ask them to vote in favor of this proposal.

Taurus221

• NRA member
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2009, 11:47:49 PM »
http://www.state.de.us/facts/constit/welcome.htm

If anyone is interested, this is the link to Delaware's Constitution.
Article 1 S - 20 is the right to bear arms.

I can't stand that many allow our rights to be trampled on. According to DNREC, you cannot carry in a state park. That being said, the DNREC officer I talked to was very nice about it. He told me to contact him if I ever got into a bind (where I was). Obviously I can't elaborate on that.

It is written in plain old black and white; there is NO gray area here. We have that right and we should be allowed to use it. I only wish I had the money to challenge the laws.
"You only have the rights you are willing to fight for."
I would rather have a NRA member in front of me than a Brady member behind me.