Author Topic: Buying a handgun for someone that can't own such firearm  (Read 7260 times)

joek

• NRA Life Member, USCG veteran
Buying a handgun for someone that can't own such firearm
« on: December 02, 2013, 07:38:47 PM »
I have a friend that left his wife and moved out of state.  They are now divorced.  His wife who is also a friend has found several handguns that he owned.  She would like to sell them to me for almost nothing.  He is banned from owning handguns because of a domestic violence conviction 25+ years ago.  Can I just buy them from her?  Do I need to go through a FFL? 

ESPMan

Re: Buying a handgun for someone that can't own such firearm
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 08:38:16 PM »
I would have her make sure she can legally sell them first, then i would still absolutely go through an FFL . I'm not intimately familiar with such a scenario, but I would think that if he owned them and was not allowed to, that would make them illegally owned unless they were sold to her. Cbmarine, some help?
The greatest threat to any society is its ignorance and inaction towards the evil that dwells within it.

Cbmarine

• Life Member
  • III Marine Amphib Corps. My dad’s shoulder patch
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 10:25:46 PM »
I would have her make sure she can legally sell them first, then i would still absolutely go through an FFL . I'm not intimately familiar with such a scenario, but I would think that if he owned them and was not allowed to, that would make them illegally owned unless they were sold to her. Cbmarine, some help?
I agree with ESPMan.  By buying directly from her, you could be within the law per 11 Del 1448B ( not sure of Fed rules, if any). Maryland allowed residents to sell to each other without State Police involvement.  But @ESPMan makes a good point if the wife isn't the owner, your ownership would be suspect, if not illegal.  There are FFLs on this forum who could help.
Just a smelly deplorable dreg of society clinging to God and guns.
New Castle County
_..  .  _._   _..  ..._ _  .  ._.

joek

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 02:18:49 AM »
She can legally own them.  He purchased them from a gun shop.  Not sure how he passed the background check.

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 07:18:13 AM »
If he moved out leaving the firearms in her possession and the divorce was finalized they are now hers as is anything else in the house he didn't take. I know more then a few people who've gone through hard divorces and whomever got the house owns whats in that house after it has been finalized. His fault for not taking or selling them before hand. I see no reason why she couldn't sell them to you. You're choice on going through a FFL or not since Delaware CCDW permit holders are exempt from this requirement and can still make face to face transfers.

Personally I'd say just buy them, again using a FFL or not, be done with it.

Federal Firearm

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 12:27:25 PM »
joek,

I don't see a problem you buying the handguns from her....I would definitely keep it clean in case he comes back in the future and starts looking for them....yes it is legal for concealed carry holders to go through a ftf transaction......
any questions you know how to reach me...

Chris

joek

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, 11:14:42 PM »
joek,

I don't see a problem you buying the handguns from her....I would definitely keep it clean in case he comes back in the future and starts looking for them....yes it is legal for concealed carry holders to go through a ftf transaction......

Chris

Thanks Chris.  Bought them all today.  What I really mean is...she gave them to me!  ;D

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2013, 12:03:10 AM »
What you get and anything interesting? :)

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2013, 12:55:13 AM »
Why did you choose the title "Buying a handgun for someone that can't own such firearm"?
New Castle County

Federal Firearm

• Life Member
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2013, 01:46:40 AM »
joek,

Chris

Thanks Chris.  Bought them all today.  What I really mean is...she gave them to me!  ;D

congratulations please tell ;)

joek

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2013, 07:42:44 AM »
Chris, I can't kiss and tell.  But, I'll show and tell!  I need a bigger safe or you're getting several trades or consignments!  I'm thinking about another Kimber.  Maybe a Ultra TLE II (LG) -stainless.  Have one?

Federal Firearm

• Life Member
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2013, 01:02:06 PM »
no problem...thats no problem ;D

joek

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2013, 08:32:55 PM »
no problem...thats no problem ;D

Called and left you a voicemail.   You must be out plowing!  :)