Author Topic: Will be carrying in FL  (Read 2924 times)

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
Will be carrying in FL
« on: April 03, 2011, 12:04:16 AM »
Will be flying Southwest to Florida in a week. Plan to pack my carry piece in the luggage. Have read and printed the rules from both Soutwest and TSA websites. I do have a non resident FL CCDW permit. I have a hard locking case for the pistol, and i can slip the magazine in a sleeve that covers the rounds completely. Have never air traveled "with" before. Any other tips?
Lumspond
New Castle County

Moosie

• Life Member
Re: Will be carrying in FL
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 01:46:03 PM »
I have flown on SW and brought my firearm with me.  First, no one on either end a freaking clue what they were looking at, if it was loaded, etc.  Seriously, it was actually scary to realize just how lax they are. 

I had prepared my firearm prior to arriving at the airport, making sure it was unloaded, the slide was locked open in the case (I didn't know who or what I would face when I arrived at the airport).  I also had two locks with keys and of course a lockable case.  So, I approach an airline rep who is directing folks where to go while lining up at the ticket counter... "Hi, I have a firearm to declare, can you tell me who I need to see?"  Oh, sure... just get in line and tell the ticket agent at the counter.  (I'm thinking oh, ok.  they'll have someone come and talk to me at the counter and inspect it there, etc. Oh. Ok!).  So, I approach the ticket agent, tell her I need to declare my firearm and she says, ok, fill out this tag (contains firearm info) and that was it.  She was in her 70's, probably didnt know one end of the gun from the other, and she didnt even verify that I had locked the firearm case.  Never looked to see if the gun was loaded, etc.  Didnt care that if ammo was in there or not (there wasnt).  ????  Go stand off to the side.  If no one comes out after 10 minutes, everything is fine and you can go down to your gate.   

Bottom line is, I locked the case and took all the keys with me.  No one inspected, looked at, touched, or otherwise my firearm prior to it being put on that plane.

You'll be fine.  Besides, you wont have to worry about it when you get sucked out the top of the plane on SW! LMAO!! 

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

John

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 07:51:30 PM »
I always remove the slide or bolt and place them together in the case.  They take a look at it and then I'm on my way. 

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 10:08:09 PM »
My recommendation:
Drive.
Other than Maryland and SC, you can carry the whole way...
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 10:25:46 PM »
I'll be sure to carry a parachute, in case I get sucked out of the hole in the 737. Thanks for the info and tips. As much as I hate the airports and the tsa....I've done that drive to FL one to many times.
If you hear on the Friday news that PHL was shut down because of a man with a _ _ _ , you'll know things went horribly wrong.....
Lumspond
New Castle County

John

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 11:24:23 PM »
I fly SW all the time.  I wonder if I was ever on that plane??