State News & Gun News > NRA & National Gun News

3-D Printed Metal Guns Are Here!

<< < (2/2)

Moosie:
Several years ago I was tasked with researching and purchasing a replacement 3D printer for the company I was working for at the time.  A table top version was only around $30k. I'm not sure how compatible the plastic and elastomer printers are with the metallic ones, but the concept is the same. Awesome stuff!  There were flexible models where it was as soft as a childs toy. Others were rigid, fairly clear when sealed, but they were paintable which allowed us to offer prototypes to clients for fit (govt) without a lot of expense. This is a really fun and interesting technology!!

Moosie

groundgrid:
The metal 3D printers are completely different technology than the plastic printers. They use a laser to melt & solidify powered metal.
The largest manufacturer is EOS Gmbh in Germany:  http://www.eos.info/systems_solutions/metal/systems_equipment/eosint_m_280

The plastic 3D printed have entered the consumer marketplace with some available for under $1K.
Some models are even being sold by Staples:

http://www.staples.com/3D+printer/directory_3D+printer?

Trying to figure out an excuse for my company to buy one for me.

Adrenolin:
Using the consumer models I wonder about the ability to make small parts such as triggers, levers, sights, etc. Even creating custom handgun lowers that could be used with top slides of Glocks, etc. With the price dropping on the plastic printers (downwards of 500$ now) I see lots of start ups attempting just this type of thing. If for nothing else a personal toy for some with CAD experience and some extra cash. There are even a few Open Source projects where the free software can even print most of the printers own parts.

Edit.. As a side note.. My father turned 65 this past spring and I supplied the cake maker with a photo of us kids and grandkids. They used a 3d printer after scanning the photo to print it on the top of the cake. This was 'pretty darn cool' he said when he saw it. ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version