Author Topic: Smith and Wesson Repair / Return question...  (Read 3231 times)

Moosie

• Life Member
Smith and Wesson Repair / Return question...
« on: July 29, 2010, 10:58:53 AM »
Has anyone had to return any portion of a firearm to a manufacturer for repair?  The front site on one of mine needs to be repaired.  I called Smith and Wesson yesterday and the gentleman who answered said to simply send the slide back to their Springfield, MA "factory".  I'm assuming thats the address on their website.  I said, thats it? just put the information in the box?  and he said, yup! 

Hmmm... umm...   I'm used to having some sort of a warranty claim number, RMA #, etc.  I'm a little leary of putting my slide in a box and sending it to never never land without any kind of a tracking number (other than shipping) to a huge company like that.

Any input is welcomed and appreciated!

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

GunEnvy

• Life Member
  • NRA Life Member
Re: Smith and Wesson Repair / Return question...
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 12:35:33 PM »
I would sent them an emal also, include your info and all of the info on the gun including serial number. When you get the response print a copy out and include that with the slide. Atleast then you have written confirmation that they will do it and that info will be with the slide when they open the box. On a side note, several years ago I dated a girl who's uncle worked at the factory and he gave us a tour....so VERY cool. Neat place and very organized. Really cool to see how they make the guns. At the time they had a policy that people only worked at the same station for a short time. I think every two weeks they moved to a different job, say one week the built the slide and two weeks later they would build the frame. They figured it would cut down on repetitive motion injurys and boredom of the same thing resulting in less incidents of poor workmanship. Ill shut up now... I coulda moved into their attic and been a happy man :).
Honey I swear I've had that gun for years!

CorBon

• Life Member
  • The Revolution starts in your heart...
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 01:14:02 AM »
I've returned stuff to S&W, Colt, and Kel-Tec.  My buddy has returned stuff to S&W, Colt, and Taurus.  In all cases, the stuff got fixed, and then was laying on the doorsteps at some undetermined time. 
Very few guns are actually "illegal guns."  A gun misappropriated by a criminal is no more of an "illegal gun" than a stolen car is an "illegal car."

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 11:11:14 AM »
Had to return a pistol to Kimber and they took care of everything from pick up to drop off and had my gun back in less then a week.
" An armed society is a polite society"
I not sick, I'm twisted. Sick makes it sound like there's a cure.