Author Topic: WRDE Incorrect News Item on”AW” Cerificates  (Read 911 times)

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
WRDE Incorrect News Item on”AW” Cerificates
« on: June 01, 2023, 06:34:38 PM »
This morning on WRDE-TV ( Rehoboth NBC station) there was a news article That said that you need to get a certificate of possession for an assault weapon that you previously owned by June 30 if you want to keep it if you don’t get the certificate it’s a felony.

I sent an email and included a copy of the law and that the certificate is voluntary and I got an email back and they are going to correct it on their evening news. The news Director said that they received misleading information from the state.
DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.

MarcWinkman

• Life Member
Re: WRDE Incorrect News Item on”AW” Cerificates
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2023, 07:07:35 PM »
"Misleading information from the State", I'm shocked.  I really wish that there was a sarcastic font.

slsharp

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2023, 07:10:15 PM »
Awesome.  I also think WRDE should expose those "from the State" that is spreading FAKE NEWS, so that maybe we can stop this encroachment on our Constitutional rights, both State AND Federal.
-Simon

Just Bill

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2023, 08:03:49 PM »
I don't have any documentation that says I bought that rifle, but have a pic on a camera dated 2013.  That was before required background checks.
NRA Cert. Instructor Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun
NRA Lifer
NRA RSO
DE/PA CCDW permits
AGI certified gunsmith--Cowboy Action/1911/Glock/rifle/pistol/shotgun/rimfire
AGI Firearms Appraiser/FFL 01
AGI certified Master Gunsmith

Oaklandopen

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2023, 08:07:58 PM »
"Information from the state" being contradictory to the bs law they wrote should be the real news story

Clarence

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2023, 08:30:46 PM »
"Misleading information from the State", I'm shocked.  I really wish that there was a sarcastic font.

Here is the actual response from the anchorwoman:

Thank you for reaching out. The information provided to the newsroom from a state newsletter was misleading and failed to include that that the certificate is voluntary. We have improved the article and will issue a clarification on tonight's newscast.

Libertarian5

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2023, 10:08:14 PM »
It's voluntary for the certificate. I will not participate. All of my semi-auto rifles were purchased through a legal FFL so if they need it they can follow up with the gun store.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2023, 10:10:32 PM by Libertarian5 »

slsharp

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2023, 01:03:31 PM »
and here's the link to the article
https://www.wrde.com/news/how-to-legally-keep-your-assault-weapon-in-delaware/article_409b808e-0011-11ee-b54a-876486b7b4f0.html
to which I emailed Mr. Sokaitis:
Dear Mr. Sokaitis,  You help spread misinformation when you call the guns in question "Assault Weapons".  The Dept of Homeland Security is wrong also, as that term should be reserved for the military version of the semi-automatic rifle, which has the ability for automatic fire.  Perhaps as a Journalist (as you call yourself), could pursue the REAL story, which is why 'the State' is lying to us, disregarding both the State and Federal Constitutional rights of its citizens?

Clarence

• Life Member
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2023, 02:09:00 PM »
It is critical to get this right as WRDE is the only network affiliated TV station in Delaware.  It is licensed to Rehoboth but studio is in Milton. The rest of the state gets its news from Philadelphia or Baltimore.

They normally do a fairly balanced job if coverage.  When we had the protests up at legislative hall they provided quite a bit of coverage interviewing pro gun participants and Jeff Hauge of DSSA.