Author Topic: New to the forums and with a question  (Read 4572 times)

Wickedrex

New to the forums and with a question
« on: January 06, 2012, 07:00:12 PM »
Hello, I'm new to the board and am just starting my Ccdw process.  My wife for Xmas graciously researched and printed all the paper work needed as well as paid for everything in advance by getting cashiers checks.  She also booked the firearms class through First State Firearms for the end of the month and paid for it in advance as well.  She even has put it all together in a little binder with labels!  Anyhow, I've been a avid hunter and firearms enthusiast since the young age of 7.  My collection has grown quite extensively through the years.  I have been interested in getting my CCDW permit for years now but never thought it was obtainable since I am not a business owner nor carry very large amounts of cash regularly.  I figured though at the age of 33 years old and with the world the way it is anymore, I would like to have a fighting chance for my family and myself to be able to see tomorrow if a situation takes a turn for the worst.  I've always been the type of person who likes to be over prepared for any situation just in case. 

One question I did have regarding the process was about the 5 references questionnaires that need to be filled out.  I do understand that the people used should have a clear background and that they should not be family members.  Any tips on the type of person that should be used, ie: male or female, older, middle aged or younger?  I also know a few people pretty well who actually have their permit.  Would it be better to use references who have permits or could that hurt you in some way?  Thanks for any advise in advance....

--Jay--
--Jay--

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
Re: New to the forums and with a question
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 10:57:02 PM »
Hi WickedRex, good luck with your permit application.
I don't think the age or sex,of your references matter at all. I feel it would "look better" if you knew your reference for 20 years, as opposed to one year. It does seem that rarely are our references contacted by the AG's office. I think using others who have a permit could potentially help, but not hurt. Know any cops? That wouldn't hurt either (assuming that reference wants you to be armed).
New Castle County

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 12:15:40 AM »
Hi Wickedrex,

It makes no difference about male/female, age, etc.  The biggest thing I would recommend is use your references that you've known for the longest.  The longer the better. 

Just an FYI, most applicant's references never get called. 

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

czer

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 11:40:08 PM »
And what a wonderful wife you have! She actually got you something YOU really wanted, rather sonething SHE wanted to get you!

Wickedrex

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 03:26:54 PM »
She definitely did well!  She always surprises me with things I actually want.  I'm so excited about getting my paperwork handed in.  I'm actually getting everything together as well as the class and fingerprinting done and handing it all in at once.  Plus, can't forget all of the copies!  I plan on making myself a copy of everything for my records as well.
--Jay--

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 04:35:26 PM »
Wickedrex,
Print your name on the back of your photos, in case they get separated from your paperwork.
New Castle County

Wickedrex

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 05:18:34 PM »
Good tip!  I read that on here in one of the posts and that almost slipped my mind.  My wife already print photos for me but they are a little bigger than the 1.5x1.5 they request.  They are more like 1.75x1.75".  I guess I should make new ones or just get passport photos done?  For some reason she could not get it to print out clearly at 1.5x1.5".  I forget what the issue was but she was having difficulty with our computer and my photos.   :D
--Jay--

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 02:01:47 PM »
My wife took mine with a cell phone from a from 3-4-5- steps away. Then I emailed them to my computer and printed them and cut a 1.5" x 1.5" out of them. Cost $0.  The Prothonatary Office said they were perfectly acceptable.
Good Luck.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

John