Author Topic: Gun Transfer Question  (Read 3841 times)

lems902

Gun Transfer Question
« on: June 01, 2014, 04:31:07 AM »
Hey Guys and Gals -

I had a quick question for you.  My Uncle was a police officer in the 60s & 70s.  When he passed away over 20 years ago, my aunt gave away all of his guns.  Last week, while she was cleaning her attic, she found a gun she had missed in a box - it's an old Ruger Bearcat .22 revolver.  Anyhow - she wants to give me the gun because she doesn't want it in her house.

I believe that since she is a family member, I can just take possession of the gun.  Is this correct?  Are there any issues because she lives in PA, and I am in DE?

Also - does anyone know a way I can find the actual age of the gun?  Is there a way to look it up by serial number and find a manufactured date?

Thanks for your help!
New Castle County
NRA Patron Life Member
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
DE/PA/FL CCDW permits

lynch

• Life Member
Re: Gun Transfer Question
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 09:14:23 AM »
Family member to family member is fine but not sure about interstate transfer; I'll wait to see what a more experienced member says about that.
As far as IDing that Bearcat you can go here:
http://www.ruger.com/service/productHistory.html#
And click "Show All" on the Revolver link.
HTH
DE ccdw
PA  LTCF
Utah CFP
NRA member

lems902

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 01:22:44 AM »
Thanks!

Anyone else?
New Castle County
NRA Patron Life Member
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
DE/PA/FL CCDW permits

TwistedKarma

• Administrator
  • Life Member
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 09:07:27 AM »
you said pistol. 
and Pa

a. may take ownership of the said firearm(excluding NFA stuff) without any paperwork what-so-ever. Including those living in other states. ...so long as they aren't prohibited persons and the firearm is legal in the destination state. His kids/grandkids that live in another state can come here and pickup the said firearm and take it home. And from the way both PA and Fed law is written, they can have the firearm shipped via common carrier straight to their door without any FFL in the loop. ....BARRING ANY LAWS OF THE RECEIVING STATE.

----

Non-direct descendants : friends, siblings, in-laws, cousins, aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews, etc.
a1. residents: long guns can be just given to the receiving party.
a2. residents, bequest or not: handguns will require a lawful transfer at the Sheriff. Sheriff will act as "seller".

b1. non-resident bequeath: long guns, the receiving person can come get it and take it to home state or have it shipped to them directly if they were named in the will. Receiving party is responsible for any registration that his/her home state requires(if any). Firearm must be legal in receiving party's state.
b2. non-resident bequeath: handgun, the receiving person can come get it and take it to home state or have it shipped to them directly if they were named in the will. Receiving party is responsible for any registration that his/her home state requires(if any). Firearm must be legal in receiving party's state.
b3. non-resident not bequeathed: handguns will have to be shipped to a FFL in the receiving person's home state.
b4. non-resident not bequeathed: long guns can be transferred at a FFL in PA or shipped to a FFL in the receiving party's home state for transfer.

---

This below is assuming the wife receives everything.

The wife's direct descendants: kids and grandkids
a1. resident: no paperwork for long guns or handguns - she may hand them straight to receiving person.
a2. non-resident: handguns, will require a proper transfer thru a FFL in the receiving person's home state.
a3. non-resident: long guns, thru FFL in receiving person's home state or at FFL in PA.

Non-direct descendants: friends, siblings, in-laws, cousins, aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews, etc.
a1: resident: long guns, can be given straight to receiving person without paperwork
a2. resident: handguns, proper transfer thru a FFL or sheriff

b1: non-resident: long guns, thru FFL in receiving person's home state or at FFL in PA.
b2. non-resident: handguns, will require a proper transfer thru a FFL in the receiving person's home state.

Federal Firearm

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 10:40:00 AM »
Lems,

the firearm will need to be shipped to an in state dealer to have it transferred....Don't get caught up with he said she said this,that....
It's the safest way for you, especially if other family members start disputing the gift....Might be different if it was willed to you.
Any questions pm me.

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2014, 05:09:29 AM »
I'd have it shipped to Chris and pick it up from him with a legal transfer. If it were a long gun I'd likely pop over for dinner and conversation and take possession but an out of state handgun should be shipped to an instate local FFL.