Author Topic: home invasions down state  (Read 9441 times)

czer

home invasions down state
« on: January 10, 2012, 11:46:44 PM »
Has anyone heard of a dependable analysis of the recent spate of home invasions down-state? Is there a typical scenario that has developed that would help us defend against this kind of attack? Like, is there a typical target home that has been invaded? What do these perps do, specifically, when they break in? What are they looking for? Are victims frequently hurt? Have there been recorded successful defenses that we can learn from? What is your defense plan in the case of a home invasion?

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
Re: home invasions down state
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 12:07:43 AM »
My current defense plan is that I carry while I'm home, and have two large dogs. I keep my bedroom door locked, and my shotgun by the bed.
I've considered having a security screen door installed, like these below. But I've not looked at the cost. If the bad guys need to kick their way through two doors, that buys me more time.
http://www.firstimpressionsecuritydoors.com/en/products/security-screen-doors
New Castle County

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 12:19:03 AM »
What is under reported about the downstate home invasions is that more then just a few of these home invasions are targeting drug dealers or people they know who maintain some level of drugs in their house.

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County

fdegree

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 02:27:45 AM »
I'm not sure if you are referencing the same thing that is happening around me...they don't seem to be actual home invasions, but rather burglaries in western Sussex County.

I rather substantial number of these have happened along the 2 mile stretch of road that I live on, and all around a number of adjacent roads.  This is a very rural area with mostly middle class families.  I'm not aware of any drug related activities around here...but who knows what people do behind closed doors.

Anyway, so far it appears they are targeting homes during the day, while everyone is at school and work.  Typically there are 2 males...one will knock on the front door...if someone answers, he gives some excuse for being there and then leaves.  If no one answers the door, they both go around back of the house and break-in...stealing electronics, money, jewelry, guns, etc.

On rare occasions people have been home when they broke-in, and the home owners scared them off...not sure exactly how.  On one occasion, the home owner returned home while the burglars were still in the house, and the burglars fired upon the home owner with the guns they just stole from his house...no one was hurt.

This has been going on since September, and they have not been caught.
Violence, when there is an alternative, is immoral.
Violence, when there is no alternative, is survival.
-Unknown-

A battle avoided cannot be lost.
-Sun Tzu-

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 12:00:27 PM »
It's not just down state!  It's up here too.

Dont agree w/ the "under reporting of drugs..." statement.
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 11:49:52 AM »
The home invasions and burglaries are two separate crimes going on.  I do agree with Hawkeye that the majority (not all) of these home invasions are drug related. Keep in mind, that sometimes the invaders target older folks thinking they have prescription drugs they can steal, etc.  That of course, doesn't make the elderly drug dealers, but in my opinion, still makes it a drug related crime. 

For reasons I won't go into here, I'm made the decision to only have a single firearm in the house; my concealed carry firearm.  Currently, I'm carrying while I'm home almost all the time.  If anyone rings the front door bell (as opposed to coming to the side door), I most certainly answer it with "Betty" on my side. I still carry when I go to the side door, but am usually not quite as concerned with who is there.

I have a dog who is usually a happy go lucky guy, but recently I found that he's a better watch dog than I thought!  He's alerted twice in the past month to someone being in our back yard... kids cutting through the yard (they wont be doing that again any time soon). 

My plan if anyone kicks in my door...  take any means necessary to protect myself and my dog.  Yes, my dog.  He's more awesome than most people I meet  ;D

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

Wickedrex

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 02:10:08 AM »
Home invasions are very real and scary thing but mostly what I here about are burglaries.  I do know that while some people make easier targets, it can happen to anyone.  In this day in age, either can happen very easily so I usually have my Glock 30 or my Judge on my side throughout the day while at home (will be my carry firearm when I get my permit). 

I have a handgun with nightsights on my bedside and a loaded mossberg 500 tactical with a surefire on the rail in the closet.  I have two littler dogs who are very alert and the one is 15 pounds of fury!  They sleep in the bed with us.  We keep a locked storm door and main door plus a security system as well.  I feel pretty secure.

I've also been known to have a pair of stash handguns in two very obscure places and a few loaded AR15 mags next to one of my two ARs in the gun safe just in case.  I know, I'm one of those guys with a bug out bag.  I know it seems weird but I like being prepared....
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 02:42:56 AM by Wickedrex »
--Jay--

czer

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2012, 12:57:46 AM »
Thanks for the thoughts and info. I too have a couple handguns secreted around the house and do not answer the door without some "security". I guess what I am after is an idea of whether these thugs simply bust down the door in a milli-second, or whether I would have time to react. We have dead bolts on all the doors, but I wonder how much resistance they would provide. If it took them two or three tries, I figure that could give me a chance to get a gun or in the case of a night-time invasion, to wake up....

joek

• NRA Life Member, USCG veteran
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2012, 01:21:42 AM »
I sleep with a 45 under my pillow and always answer the door with 'something'.

Fred023

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2012, 04:29:03 AM »
My house was robbed the day before thanksgiving.  That's what made me go get my firearm and start the ccw prpocess.  Luckily nobody was home...

Johnnyboy

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2012, 12:27:11 AM »
I have a couple of guns and magazines stashed around the house. I keep my screen doors locked and I have a "trip hazard" on the stairs that come up to the bedrooms. I feel as though all of this might just buy me the time I need to prepare myself for a gun battle. The magazines are stashed low.. near the floor just in case I'm crawling around. Wouldn't want to have to stand up to get one from a high place. Some people call me crazy or paranoid, I'm just trying to be ready for something that I hope never happens...... I always carry.... Even at home..
I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop.

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2012, 05:28:49 PM »
Czer, unless Steve Austin is coming through your door, it's going to take them at least one kick and a shoulder to come through your door.  It doesn't happen like it does in the movies!  If you don't believe me, I'll invite you over to try to kick my front door down when we install the new one LOL. 

As for the rest of us who carry at home, have made plans for the "what ifs", I don't think we're paranoid.  We're just prepared. 

Fred, your home was burglarized, not robbed (sorry.. pet peeve of mine -- ignore me).  That sucks big time.  I hope since getting a firearm and permit, you've put together a lot of "what if" scenarios that include where room mates or family members (including pets) would be if someone comes in.  Having a gun and not having a plan is bad news. 

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

czer

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2012, 12:50:10 AM »
I have thought about this idea of having guns stashed around the house, loaded, "ready to go". Years ago, if I heard someone describe that to me, I would have considered them some wierd paranoid, who was constantly on the alert and who led a miserable life with all that fear. However, now I am doing it myself, and came to this decision in a logical way, practicing regularly and getting comfortable with my firearms, it just feels natural to be prepared. I am alert, but in a good way. I feel more aware and more secure to have planned out some scenarios, as you put it, Moosie. If I was in an actual situation, maybe all that secure-feeling would go away, confronted with danger and the unknowables of a real encounter. But for now, I feel better being somewhat prepared and it doesn't feel strange at all.

John

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2012, 04:17:31 AM »
The two recent invasions near Leipsic and Hartly were similar in that the two guys knocked on the door and when the "older" people opened to see who it was, they pushed in.  In one case the people were led down to the basement and left alone while they snatched and grabbed.  No harm to them, but I would not have gone to the basement if I could have avoided it.  That's why I have weapons strategically hidden around the house.

mominde

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2012, 12:56:25 AM »
Didn't think about it till just now...Two men came by last week to see if I wanted to schedule having the house pressure washed.  It was so cold I thought they were crazy!  Maybe it could have been more?  I'm in upper Kent County.

I haven't gotten my permit yet, can I still cc at home?