Author Topic: Didn't carry at the dentist office.  (Read 10485 times)

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
Didn't carry at the dentist office.
« on: May 26, 2010, 12:49:36 AM »
Didn't carry during my cleaning visit because I use a pocket holster, and they lean me back so far in the chair I thought it might drop to the ground. So I locked it in the glovebox.
So used to carrying now, that I hate only being able to carry evenings and weekends. I work at a large company (Uncle D___ee) with security at the gate and LARGE signs stating "No weapons of any kind". Now I feel vulnerable on my drive back and forth to work. Also what about some nut who is angry and decides he's taking people out in the workplace? No choice though. Can't carry my stun gun either (De legal, NCC illegal). Maybe pepper spray on my keychain? Don't think anyone would question that. Bet plenty of women there carry that. Rambling a bit.
Cheers
Lumspond.
New Castle County

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
Re: Didn't carry at the dentist office.
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 01:43:09 AM »
I carry my Glock 29 on my belt in a Safepacker, so I wore it to the dentist today.
As for the rules at your job, I have no useful suggestions.
My wife's current employer also bans weapons on the property, even in vehicles... by the time her permit shows up, the upcoming layoffs will be a done deal anyway. :(

If her layoff wasn't inevitable, I would mount a Kydex holster in her center console, and have her keep a gun in the car anyway... or buy her a locking concealed-carry handbag from http://mygunpurses.com/products.aspx and simply ignore the rules.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 11:34:24 AM »
OldGray,

As a woman who carries, I can tell you that unless the circumstances prevent her from carrying on her person, DO NOT USE A PURSE (if at all possible) for concealed carry.  I have finally gotten away from carrying in my purse and 99% of the time I carry on my person.  Of course, I'm not suggesting that she walk into the office with a super tuck on LOL. 

First, I found that with all the CRAP in my purse (as it is with every single woman I know) there's simply too much stuff in there.  Even when it's in a separate compartment like the ones on the web link you showed, you put crap in the front pocket, crap in the back pocket and now, it's encroaching on the center compartment where "Betty" is residing.  Not to mention barrell lint.  :) 

And most importantly, unless she's trained in pulling that gun out of the purse in darn near every situation (and from all the odd angles your purse ends up when you're tired of carrying it, etc) then she needs to buy a gun of suitable size and simply wear it somewhere on her body. 

If I had more time, Id be working on something for women (concealment wise).  But, right now, I'm up to my a$$ in alligators!

Best of luck to her.  Great to hear that she's getting her permit! :)

Moosie 
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 12:32:58 PM »
Moosie,
It's been a 5-year battle just to get her to apply for the CCDW permit, which she did as my birthday present this year.
She swears she has no intention of actually carrying.

I figure I'll be able to work on this after (if) her permit arrives. By then, it'll probably be cold out, so she'll be able to carry our J-frame (in a DeSantis pocket holster we already have) in a jacket pocket. Once it warms up in 2011, she'll be more accustomed to carrying, but her wardrobe is not suited to concealed carry, so a purse will be the only likely way I can get her to continue carrying.
I agree with you 100% about off-body carry... but it's better than not having a gun!

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 07:58:20 PM »
Security at the gate will fairly often stop us, and ask us to open the glovebox, trunk, and look in the backseat. I assume they are looking in the glovebox to catch people carrying guns. Why else would they look there? They haven't looked in center consoles, under seats, etc. But would hate to get caught and fired. Could, as mentioned, put it in a lockbox and stash it. If seen I would claim the key is home.
Cheers
New Castle County

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 11:22:23 PM »
Security at the gate will fairly often stop us, and ask us to open the glovebox, trunk, and look in the backseat. I assume they are looking in the glovebox to catch people carrying guns. Why else would they look there? They haven't looked in center consoles, under seats, etc. But would hate to get caught and fired. Could, as mentioned, put it in a lockbox and stash it. If seen I would claim the key is home.
Cheers

That seems intrusive, but I guess it depends on the workplace. My wife has worked at this company for eight years... there's no gate, no security and no searches there.

Oh, well: by the time her permit shows up, there will also be no job there. Her entire division got sold, and all the people in it got the short end of the stick.

Hank

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2010, 12:26:35 PM »
Hi all.
I for one think that If you have a carry permit you should be able to carry every place a cop can, and not to be a cop! The laws are only for us law abiding people, the Bad guys could care less about the laws. I also think that more woman should carry a weapon of her choice, the chances of us men? getting raped Is very small. As far as I know, our Moosie Is the only female that I know of, that carries a weapon. I do remember this one time while living back In PA. I was In a Super Market, and this dear little old blue haired lady all of 5'0" right In front of me. She opened her hand bag and there was a model 29 S&W 44Mag. and this sweet little old lady turned to me and just smiled.
 My wife said that she could not shoot any one, and I don't want her giving up her gun to some A-hole to use on some one else. And that's why my wife does not carry. I just hop that I'm around If and when things go bad. I know In a way I'm playing for the band.
Semper Fi all. Hank.

In God we trust, all others pay cash.  

« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 01:45:00 PM by Sigarms12 »