Author Topic: It could happen anywhere, anytime, to anyone.  (Read 10631 times)

Schmenge

It could happen anywhere, anytime, to anyone.
« on: July 23, 2010, 03:45:27 PM »
Why do I carry a gun?

I live in a nice neighborhood. Good people, we look out for each other. While I was shopping at X-Ring yesterday afternoon, some dirtbags broke into my next door neighbor's house. She was on her way back from NC at the time. Five or six kids, boys and girls. After having an orgy in her bedroom, they stole her car and took a trip to the mall. She came home shortly after that. Some neighbor kids gave her a description and she knew right away who the kids were. They go to her church. So after about an hour and a half, NCC police arrive. They were busy, can't fault them. The girls involved were found and arrested, I don't know about the boys yet. Her car was recovered. Nothing missing from the house. The dumbasses left some clothing and their bikes behind. After the police left to arrest the girls, the boys came back for their bikes. It was fun watching my neighbor's son chase them down the street with a baseball bat. Fortunately for him, he didn't catch them. The sad thing is this could have been stopped before it happened. If my neighbor had told me she was going out of town, I would have called the police earlier in the afternoon when I saw the girl perps going into her house. I saw her car in the driveway and thought she was home and had company. Make sure you let your neighbors know when you're out of town. It could happen anywhere, anytime, to anyone. You just never know.
Schmenge
NRA Patron Member

GunEnvy

• Life Member
  • NRA Life Member
Re: It could happen anywhere, anytime, to anyone.
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 04:31:13 PM »
Schmenge, great story (as a wake up call). People don't realize how important their neighbors can be in helping thwart this kind of stuff. Always have somebody get your mail and newspapers, burglars look for those tell tale signs that no one is home and that they probably won't be for some time. Hopefully this minor breakin will serve as a wake up call for her and others in your area to do more than just wave while mowing the lawn.
Honey I swear I've had that gun for years!

Schmenge

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 07:15:20 PM »
Go figure. The first time she doesn't tell me she's leaving town, this happens. It was an interesting evening. Unfortunately, the state trooper who lives two doors down wasn't home.
Schmenge
NRA Patron Member

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 09:10:37 PM »
Its so sad how people have no respect for other people or their property.
" An armed society is a polite society"
I not sick, I'm twisted. Sick makes it sound like there's a cure.

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010, 02:17:11 PM »
Schmenge,

Sorry to hear this happened to your neighbor.  Thankfully she knew who it was and doesnt have to lay awake at night wondering WHO was in her home and if they're coming back!!! 

To add to the other suggestions, NEVER write things on a calendar in your kitchen like "Party at Suzies 2PM"... if it's 2PM, the burglars know they have time before you'll be coming back.  This goes for things like vacation and then you draw a line through several DAYS...  huge no no.  If you must keep a calendar like that, keep it out of plain sight. 

We never tell our neighbors when we're going out of town.  Call me paranoid, but all my neighbors suck.  We call NCCPD and ask them to do a property check when they can. (they do these daily and on each shift according to friends of mine who work in the brown clown suits) they usually want to know if anyone is authorized to be there and when, what cars will be there, and if we're leaving any lights on, etc.  (Yes, we give them a detailed light "pattern" schedule -- see below) They grilled my step son and called us when he went over while we were vacationing! He was just there to swim, and he's allowed on the property, but they had him sit in their car, checked out his ID, etc.  Then called us.  His address is not the same as ours on his license.  It was good to know that they really do follow up and keep the info we gave them, etc.  They've always been helpful. 

Also, we dont have our mail or paper stopped.  We ask a friend who lives close by to swing by and pick up the mail (only get a Sunday paper) and any papers.  I dont trust the newspaper person (who goes through NO screening) to not take advantage of the notice they get to stop our paper for a week.  The mail man has just NEVER gotten it correct when stopping or restarting the mail. 

I also bought digital timers for the lights we usually have on, etc.  The digital timers allow you to program a variety of patterns so it's not just the same light going on and off at the same time every night until you get home.  We try to keep the appearance (lights anyway) that would be on if we're home.  Found the timers at Lowe's. They are typically out during the Christmas season and are heavy duty, but they work. 

Of course, we also have surveillance cameras, but thats more for the cretins that want to hop the fence into our pool area. Best part is that you can set one up fairly easily to capture internal movement as well as external if you wanted. 

My biggest fear is that someone will break into my home and hurt or steal my dogs.  Take anything you want out of my home or off my property.  But dont touch my dogs.  Thats a death sentence if you do. 

:)  Have a great weekend! LOL 

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

Schmenge

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2010, 05:42:27 PM »
Here's the latest info. The boys are still at large, there is a warrant out for them. All these kids are suspects in 10 recent break ins.

Schmenge
NRA Patron Member

triangle172

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2010, 06:29:46 PM »
As an excop, I can tell you Moosie you have probably hit much of the stuff the crime prevention unit guys would tell community groups, civic associations etc...Good stuff. But I can also tell you that you you can have a burglar alarm installed in your home for about $1600(+$15 or so/month monitoring) that will probably be more effective and less imposing on your lifestyle. Now alarm systems don't do much good nor offer much protection for those living in truly rural areas, but for almost every part of Delaware they are a fine option perhaps even more so for the capability to notify of fire. You can probably get those costs down if you are handy with electrical work and internet monitoring goes for under $10 per month these days.

Although I personally don't see the relevance of kids on bikes breaking and entering a neighboring home when the owner is away and carrying a concealed sidearm.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 06:43:10 PM by triangle172 »

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2010, 08:06:44 PM »
Schmenge,

a neighbor across the street from my in laws was broken into... this wouldnt be in the Hockessin / Newark would they?  They live in Lambeth Riding.

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

Schmenge

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010, 02:44:34 PM »
This happened in the Old Baltimore Pike corridor. I'm not sure where the other breakins happened. I haven't seen anything in the paper about it either.
Schmenge
NRA Patron Member