Author Topic: Carrying in the Car?  (Read 13440 times)

Pete D.---

• NRA Member
Carrying in the Car?
« on: August 20, 2010, 03:48:28 PM »
Hi all, I'm new to all of this, and just want to get a clear understanding of how to carry in my car. I know that before I had my permit, I had to either carry open in plain site, or locked away, unloaded, from easy reach.

Can I now carry concealed in the car? If it's in plain site, does it need to be unloaded? If its in a locked safe, can it still be loaded and near my reach?

Thanks for any help, Pete D.---
"This food fights back!" Myke Hawke Peirce

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
Re: Carrying in the Car?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 05:27:40 PM »
With your permit you can carry concealed in your car, you can keep it on yourself or loaded in your car.
" An armed society is a polite society"
I not sick, I'm twisted. Sick makes it sound like there's a cure.

Pete D.---

• NRA Member
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 01:32:03 PM »
Thanks Sig- I've been searching the net for a quick and easy answer and couldn't find one- yours was both and very appreciated! Pete D.--

Pete D.---

• NRA Member
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 06:48:20 PM »
I'm curious to know: 1. how others carry in the car- seems like IWB might be rather uncomfortable and slow to draw from a belted seat. Also, 2. what do others use in the car to store the gun? Safe bolted to the floor, locked glove box, or something else?  And 3. ever have trouble transitioning the gun from CC to locked in the car with people around? I'd like to know what other's methods of doing this might be. Thanks, Pete D.---

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 07:32:43 PM »
I wear a Safepacker. If I'm going on a long trip, I put it on the seat belt.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 07:55:00 PM »
Depends on how long of a trip I'm going on and what the area is like when I get there.  Case in point... if I'm going to Costco, I'm wearing IWB because when I get there I'd have to put it in my purse to go inside conceal it and then do my shopping. 

If i'm driving for a long time then it's in a holster and provided the state I'm travelling through allows me to ccw, then its either between my legs, on the seat next to me if I'm alone, or tucked between my seat and the console.  Also depends on what firearm I have with me.  if it's my .380 then it can fit comfortably in any of those places.  If I'm carrying one of my larger frame firearms, then it may make sense to stick it in the door holder. 

Do what makes sense for you, Pete.

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

Pete D.---

• NRA Member
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 09:53:34 PM »
Moosie, when you are driving through an unfriendly state, where and how do you lock it up? Thanks, Pete D.---

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 11:09:49 PM »
If traveling through a state that you do not have a permit for the best and safest way is unloaded in the trunk and the ammo in a separate container.
" An armed society is a polite society"
I not sick, I'm twisted. Sick makes it sound like there's a cure.

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2010, 08:53:42 PM »
If I am traveling through a state (such as MD), I will get out just before the state line on whatever road Im on, unload my weapon in the trunk of my car, secure the weapon and take whatever ammo I have with me (unless it's a lot) and put the ammo up front with me in a locked glove compartment. 

If I'm traveling through NJ, I dont even take it with me. 

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2010, 10:41:17 PM »
I do the same thing: unload and lock up my firearm before I pass through a state where I can't carry.

We don't travel all that much, but we do drive to Oklahoma once a year or so. I juggle the route a bit to avoid the People's Republic of Maryland, but on our most recent trip (2009), I needed to unload before entering West Virginia and Illinois.
Now, thanks to a recent reciprocity agreement, I can carry in West Virginia.

I also bring a notebook on the trip, with printed summaries of the laws in the states where I can carry. I use it to make sure I'm obeying the law in each state -- you'd be surprised how different they are, even just in terms of having a loaded firearm while driving -- and I also hope that the apparent intent to obey the law would generate a tiny bit of slack if stopped.

Pete D.---

• NRA Member
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2010, 10:51:09 PM »
Hey thanks a lot- great info and I really like the notebook idea Old gray- I'll be working on that for sure. I have 2 vans= no trunks, so I guess it'll be my lockable range hardbox in the way back.

Moosie, if you have the gun "out" in the car- say on the seat, or in the door, what would you do if you were getting pulled over? I guess I'm thinking that if it were concealed, you wouldn't worry the cop before he saw your permit- just curious- Take care, Pete D.---

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2010, 08:24:02 PM »
Yeah, well, I drive kinda rapidly... like the ex-cabbie that I am.

Strangely enough, though, the police never seem to pull me over. Maybe it's the car I drive:

GunEnvy

• Life Member
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2010, 02:51:03 AM »
Usually while driving I'll put my gun in my center console. I have a handgun safe in the back of my suv thats attached by a cable and I lock it up when i get to Md and as has been said if I go to jersey I leave it at home. Check out the nano safe, its a small note book sized handgun safe that you can either bolt down or secure with a cable. I think they run about $40 and should do the trick for you. And Moosie..... Really??? Youve been pulled over that much? :-)
Honey I swear I've had that gun for years!

Pete D.---

• NRA Member
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2010, 03:21:38 PM »
Thanks for the info all. I had occasion to have to give it a shot this weekend. I had a training over near Balt. and had the fun of getting out at the MD line to make myself into a nonCCer- I've not been a CCer for long (3 weeks!), but man do I like it! It was tough changing back. Anyway, I locked the ammo in the glovebox and the nug in the case in the wayback (I had the case up front with me so I could put it in there without worrying anyone passing by). I then stewed most of the rest of the way about how brilliant it is to have the gun and knowing I'd never be able to join it with the ammo if needed.

I stayed in a motel overnight, so I was able to rearm once there- I really like the nice "green glow" of comfort on the night stand! I'm glad I had it too, because the locals were VERY restless- lots of MS-13ish gang-looking dudes and plenty of bravado- man it would suck not being armed living there. I'm sure most of them were! I guess I picked the wrong place to stay! It was nice to come back home.

Unfortunately I go to Salisbury almost every day with my family- shopping, church, boy scouts, etc. It would be soooo nice to have reciprocity with MD!! Someday right??? Maybe??? Pete D.---

muleman88

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2010, 06:57:55 PM »
I sure hope so! That would be nice.