Author Topic: Getting Ready to Apply  (Read 4310 times)

Harleyrider

Getting Ready to Apply
« on: May 15, 2012, 05:32:52 PM »
Hi all,

I live in northern New Castle Co. and work in Phila.  I have a Utah non-resident permit and am taking the course for the DE permit this week-end.  My handguns of choice are a Kahr CM9, a Kel-Tec P3-AT, and a Colt Agent .38 spl revolver from the mid-1980's.  I'm looking forward to learning and sharing here.
Vic
"I believe that every day on earth is another chance to get it right." Steve Earle

calee13

Re: Getting Ready to Apply
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 11:29:50 PM »
Harleyrider good luck with your class. Even though I carried for years when I lived in Penna. I was pleasantly surprised when I took my class at the beginning of the year. I wasn't sure what to expect but gained more awareness of my responsibilities as a carrier. I found the class to be very worthwhile and only wish that Penna. would adopt the same requirements. I know some folks are happy to acquire an easy permit but from living in Pa., I saw many receive them that would benefit from a LOT of training. Enjoy your class and feel good about being able to protect you and yours if the need ever arises. :)

Harleyrider

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 08:59:38 PM »
I submitted my application on June 8, so now let's see how long it takes for something to happen.  The nice lady at the Proth'y's office said 3-4 months.  Based on everything I have seen here, I was tempted to say, "yeah, right," but I kept my big mouth shut.  Time will tell...
Vic
"I believe that every day on earth is another chance to get it right." Steve Earle

Bmel17

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 10:39:02 AM »
good luck!

What do you ride? 

Harleyrider

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 05:16:58 PM »
I submitted my application on June 8, so now let's see how long it takes for something to happen.  The nice lady at the Proth'y's office said 3-4 months.  Based on everything I have seen here, I was tempted to say, "yeah, right," but I kept my big mouth shut.  Time will tell...
Yesterday was the 4-month anniversary of my filing, so I called the prothy's office and left a voice mail message in the morning.  I got a call back in the late afternoon, saying that everything was complete, the card was laminated, they were just waiting to do a letter, and that I should have it by the end of the week.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed.  As one of my old teachers used to say, the proof of the pudding is in the eating...
Vic

quietwolf56

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 07:48:07 PM »
Hello. I am also getting ready to apply for a permit but have a few questions. First, I have a hunter safety course from Va. My daughter got her concealed permit and the hunter safety course was good enough for that. Can I use the course here in De. and if not, why because the two states reciprocate in their carry laws? Also I was told by a law offical that alot of Delaware residents have their carry permit courtesy of the state of Florida. Dont you have to be a resident and take their course to get a permit? Also I am a hunter. Can I still be in possession of my handgun- in the vehicle- while I am hunting? I know Delaware has certain calibers that you are not allowed to hunt with in the state, so if my handgun is of that restricted caliber, am I still allowed to carry it? Any info would be appreciated. Thank you.

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 01:13:10 PM »
Quietwolf,

Your daughter did NOT apply in DE.  Sorry, but DE does NOT accept hunter ed for the training.  I think VA & FL will.

(j) Notwithstanding any other provision of this Code to the contrary, the State of Delaware shall give full faith and credit and shall otherwise honor and give full force and effect to all licenses/permits issued to the citizens of other states where those issuing states also give full faith and credit and otherwise honor the licenses issued by the State of Delaware pursuant to this section and where those licenses/permits are issued by authority pursuant to state law and which afford a reasonably similar degree of protection as is provided by licensure in Delaware.

The FL permit for a DE RESIDENT is NOT valid (see above).

Your handgun can be in the car while you are hunting.  But (my OPINION), this would not be a responsible gun owner leaving a gun out unattended.  I know the car is locked, but that still does not stop the criminal.  It CANNOT be on you while hunting (even with a DE CCDW).

To hunt in DE with a handgun (deer) must be .357 or larger. Shooting straight walled ammo.  Barrel length 5.75 to 12.5 inches long.  Single shot or revolver, NO SEMI(s).  Carried in a holster or sling.  DNREC for more info.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 02:24:11 PM by Radnor »
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.